Search results

1. Lapis Dragon

Question About 120µS vs 70µS EQ on Cassette Deck

I will admit that I am not some purist who is trying to conduct a science experiment or strictly adhere to custom/tradition. I was just a guy who is listening, recording and enjoying music on vintage gear. I will often record on 70 and then flip the setting to 120 on playback. Its sounds very...
  2. Lapis Dragon

I Love My $15 CD Player

in the 1980s I worked in a hi-fi shop and we sold the XR35 as one of our "lower end" units. We played around with a dozen different CD player, eq, amp combinations but never found anything that sounded as good as the Toshiba. We all bought one and I still own mine today. They are a real jem...
  3. Lapis Dragon

LED Flashlights

if you buy a decent light, you shouldn't have any issues or "fuss" with battery contacts. I have not had to deal with that sort of thing since the 80's.. which is about the time I stopped buying crap lights. I beat on my lights pretty good and I have always been pleased with surefire, fenix...
  4. Lapis Dragon

How loud do you normally listen to music?

I will say that I have never really listened to music LOUD.. I listen to music at a volume that still allows you to have a normal conversation in the same room. I have some hearing damage and tinnitus from sirens/gunfire and it is very troublesome to say the least. I would recommend that...
  5. Lapis Dragon

TDK vs BASF (new and used)

I tried several variations of the BASF high bias tape back in the day and I have never been very impressed with the sound quality. I will say that BASF had one called Maxima that I really liked but I hardly ever run across them. If I had to choose right now between BASF and TDK, I would pick...
  6. Lapis Dragon

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Big Country... sealed NIW
  7. Lapis Dragon

vintage power cord (stink)

yes they do!
  8. Lapis Dragon

exactly... (enjoy the music). I forgot how good a cassette can sound through these things. Thanks for allowing me to think out loud. Its just that its easy to get a little frustrated when you start to feel like its "always something".. regarding the use of these old jems.
  9. Lapis Dragon

not really sticky but they feel like a gummy bear... I guess I will just replace them and stop trying to figure it out LOL
  10. Lapis Dragon

I have a 1980 Tandberg cassette deck that works great. The only issue is that the original power cord stinks to high heaven. Its not really a bad smell ( not burn or electrical) it just smells rubbery. I have had it boxed up for a few years and just recently took it out for a test run. Its...
  11. Lapis Dragon

LED Flashlights

I like Fenix and Olight ( single cr123) or (2x AA)
  12. Lapis Dragon

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I am usually a Spyderco Para2
  13. Lapis Dragon

replacement power adapter

I-like-music, that is exactly what I need and you are correct.. 6v is what it required. Thanks a million! I would much rather have a sony unit as opposed to some cheap-o universal kit.
  14. Lapis Dragon

Cassette tape decks, what is the fascination?

Honestly... its pure nostalgia. I enjoy doing what I have always done, its pleasing.
  15. Lapis Dragon

What tape (any format) are you playing now?

Maxell UDII 46min ( Roby Duke: Blue eyed soul)
  16. Lapis Dragon

no... sorry
  17. Lapis Dragon

its 120 in 4.5 out
  18. Lapis Dragon

Marantz PMD 340

I have not worked on one myself but I do own one... I think you will be very pleased with it.
  19. Lapis Dragon

Favorite Programming Languages

dos
  20. Lapis Dragon

How Often Did Your (Cassette) Tapes Get Eaten?

I have been listening to and recording music onto cassettes since 1978 and to this day I still own all of those cassettes ( 800 or so). Out of all that time, I have lost approximately 3 tapes to the dreaded "eating", I have broken a couple and repaired them and I have worn out another 2 or 3...
  21. Lapis Dragon

What is wrong with my tapes?

I would want to make sure that this is the tape and not the machine. Play it in a different unit and see if it has issues in the same places at the same interval. If its the tape, you probably cant do too much about it. If its the unit, there are some options. Has the tape been near magnetic...
  22. Lapis Dragon

I am in need of a replacement power adapter for my Sony TC-D5m field recorder. I have found several china versions on ebay as well as amazon. These things seem to be hit or miss (mostly miss) in regards to their quality. I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable vendor for universal /...
  23. Lapis Dragon

What speakers would you recommend for my vintage vinyl system?

I really like Edifer active speakers.
  24. Lapis Dragon

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

right now..
  25. Lapis Dragon

Greetings from another Southern Tapehead!

Hello everyone.. I just wanted to take a few moments and offer a humble introduction. I hail from the deep South USA and have a long established affinity for analog audio recordings and vintage gear. I am no expert but I have been listening to and recording music on Tandberg, Nakamichi...
Back
Top Bottom