Search results

1. sinnerboy

Sunday afternoon nothing to do....

So I made this. I like the Mr. Clean pads clean my stylus, having a chunk laying on the plinth always made it look like I forgot to throw away my cleaning pad. So I had some scrap wood (bocote I think) and whipped this out. Curiously the hardest part was cutting the magic sponge into a clean...
  2. sinnerboy

NYC Thiel smartsub and speakers

On marketplace, Thiel smartsub and speakers. I have not heard of the smartsub, maybe post Jim? I can't tell what speakers these are, perhaps cs 6? If so, this could be a decent deal at $1500 https://www.facebook.com/share/BuQNQfrHhh5hVFSP/?mibextid=kL3p88
  3. sinnerboy

Dahlquist DQ-10 restoration, almost finished!

Finally was able to promote my partially-restored DQ-10's up to the main listening room. My restoration included recapping the crossovers, replacing all the wires with correct-colored 18 ga. (wires to various drivers) and 14 ga. (wires to crossover from input and LPads). Somewhere in their...
  4. sinnerboy

Tonearm recommendations - Victor TT-61/71

I'm loving my Victor TT-61 and TT-71 motors coupled with a Victor UA-7045 tonearm. When I was assembling the turntable, I cut a couple of extra armboards in anticipation of getting another arm. I think that time has come, thinking maybe I want a 'long' arm to mount my Audio Technica AT-OC9/ML...
  5. sinnerboy

Kenwood fans, nice NOS collection

Facebook marketplace has this listing in Sea Cliff, NY. Nice collection of various Kenwood/Trio stuff, Teac tape decks, Sansui and AR. No affiliation. https://www.facebook.com/share/Wo5zZqc4Lntp4e8T/?mibextid=kL3p88
  6. sinnerboy

Well, this was interesting. Victor TT-61 content

Getting ready to spin the Montrose album, power the step-down converter, the phono stage and notice the 33 rpm led is on and the platter is spinning, but the speed indicator is dark. So I hit the power button and the speed display turns on, 33 indicator light stays on, but the platter stops...
  7. sinnerboy

Project DQ-10 update

Nearing completion on the first speaker. Here is what has been done to the first, the second will go a lot quicker Replaced all the capacitors on the crossover. I ended up taking a chance and ordering a kit from eBay. We will see how they perform. Rewired everything with 14 ga. to crossover...
  8. sinnerboy

Thiel CS 1.6. Any opinions?

I've had the 1.2, 1.5 and 3.5 (regrets that I sold them all). How does 1.6 compare? I've heard they are a bit bass shy, any experience with them?
  9. sinnerboy

Dahlquist DQ10 progress and more questions

I just completed replacing the capacitors on one speaker, replaced the speaker jacks, and getting ready to rewire everything. I'm only working on one speaker so I can compare once it's done. Next up will be wrapping the cabinet in black vinyl. I'm not sticking religiously to how it came out...
  10. sinnerboy

Workshop Integrated Amplifier - $19.95!

I just ordered one of these Lepai Integrated to test speakers / drivers in various rebuilding stages for $19.95. 20 wpc, we'll see if I get what I paid for....
  11. sinnerboy

Dahlquist DQ10 restoration begins, first question re: wiring

Finally started the restoration of my DQ10s, I'm sourcing crossover components for a recap, in doing research I noticed Regnar provides a kit to rewire the drivers. Has anyone done this (outside of Regnar's product), what gauge did you use and do you see it as beneficial? I'm not hellbent on...
  12. sinnerboy

PCB chipped, how to repair

I have a situation where the pcb that powers the led lights is chipped. What is the best way to fix? Run a solder trail to bridge the chip?
  13. sinnerboy

Crossover Help - Thiel TM3

I picked up a pair of Thiel TM3 bookshelf speakers on the cheap. The reason they were cheap is one tweeter wasn't working after the speaker did a face plant off it's stand. So I thought maybe a connection had broken / come loose. Anyway, after much research and asking questions on the speaker...
  14. sinnerboy

Wood workers, need some guidance here....

I picked up some Thiel TM3 speakers, one has a dead tweeter. It appears the only way to open them up is to heat up a glue joint and separate the bottom piece from the top. Advice I need is on how to heat up the bottom in order to melt the glue so I have a chance of pulling the bottom off to...
  15. sinnerboy

NW NJ to Charlotte roundtrip this week

Delivering some Audes speakers to Charlotte this week, will have room for pretty much anything but large speakers going down, whatever fits in a Jetta coming back
  16. sinnerboy

Any Thiel TM3 owners here?

I'm looking at a pair that I will have to pull the tweeter out of one. The tweeter is either removed from the inside or it has a trim ring covering the screws. My question is simply that, is there access to the drivers from the bottom of the speaker? If not, any ideas on how to open them up...
  17. sinnerboy

Victor TT coming together

I always liked the UFO style turntables from Denon and Victor. I made an attempt a few years ago with a Denon, but got burned (here!) on a tonearm and just lost interest. A few months ago I bought a Victor TT-61 and began looking for a tonearm and plinth. I found the tonearm (UA7045) here on...
  18. sinnerboy

69 albums - Left out in cold and rain for several weeks - what would you do?

Due to a domestic situation (FFS), I had 69 albums thrown out in the cold NJ winter. The first batch I found after a couple of rainy days, the last batch just recently after several weeks in the freezing temps and rain (we live on 3 acres, top of a mountain with steep decline). Some of the...
  19. sinnerboy

GL-2PR1 Led Indicator lights (Pioneer PL-30Lii) , where to source?

Looking online for LED light replacements for a couple of indicator lights on my Pioneer PL-30Lii turntable, found a source in Japan but wanted to know if anyone knows of a source stateside (or suitable replacement). Every NA vendor that lists them has unavailable. TIA
  20. sinnerboy

Audio Technica AT-15SS, tragic...

A couple of years ago I ran across a NOS AT-15SS, used it briefly enough to find out I loved it, really great cart with Shibata tip and boron cantilever. Someone in my household moved my turntable while I was out of town and managed to shear the stylus off. Really pissed about that, but...
  21. sinnerboy

Bi-Wire question, interesting perspective?

So I think I get the bi-wire concept, if you think about electrons being pulled across the wires instead of pushed, it makes some sense. Bi-wiring allows higher frequency signals to have less 'resistance, (as in lower frequency signals)' as they travel along the second pair of wires. So...
  22. sinnerboy

I really did try - Dahlquist DQ-10

A pair of DQ-10s popped up locally on FB marketplace for a really good price. I didn't think I needed another pair of speakers so I posted their availability on AK, hoping someone in this community would jump on them. Another couple of weeks go by and dammit they are still available. So I...
  23. sinnerboy

Dalhquist DQ-10 NE PA

A pair of DQ-10's on my local FB marketplace, $295. Woofer surrounds recently replaced, working condition but no stands. Seems like a good price, I just don't need speakers right now (previous owner of some DQ10's and they are magnificent!). Located in the Scranton area Dahlquist DQ10
  24. sinnerboy

Sony TTS-3000 / Decca London International tonearm question

This combo is for sale locally at an attractive price (this isn't a question re: price!). However, the headshell plug appears to be broken off at the base., and he doesn't have the headshell piece (base is visible in the tonearm). Otherwise it looks complete. My question is how difficult...
  25. sinnerboy

Victor JVC TT-61 Plinth template?

A while ago I purchased a Denon drive unit and was on my way to build a plinth with 2 tonearms. A deal gone bad with a now-departed (left/banned, not dead!) Ak'er soured me on the whole project. This week I bought a Victor TT-61 drive unit and am making plans to build a nice turntable. One of...
Back
Top Bottom