Search results

1. LWB

DENON PMA-700V speaker terminal posts upgrade

I stumbled across these speaker terminals online and went for it. Yesterday I swapped them into my PMA-700V integrated amplifier, it was pretty easy. I was able to use the existing wiring harness in the amp to connect the new terminals, eliminating all the connections that the factory used to...
  2. LWB

Totem Hawk Capacitor replacement

My Totem Hawks have been in service in for about fifteen or sixteen years since purchasing them, testimonial that I have been very happy with them. Lately I have been experimenting with old speaker refurbishment and discovered what metalized polypropylene can do to dispense with the schmutzy...
  3. LWB

Discovered Denon

Recently a friend gave me a Denon PMA-500V, the second-to bottom unit in an initial range of four integrated amplifiers Denon produced in 1987-87. The range bottom was 60 Watts RMS; my gifted unit was 80 Watts RMS, the next range was 100 Watts RMS and the range topper was 120 Watts RMS PMA-900V...
  4. LWB

Mirage BPS-150 subwoofer plate amplifier adjustment spec?

I’ve been using a pair of bi-polar Mirage BPS-150 subwoofers since I purchased them in 1996. They were made in Canada, and they sound quite musical (but for the annoyance of transformer hum that I’ve tried everything I could think of to eliminate, to no avail), so I would like to keep them...
  5. LWB

AUD-11II amp board ground addition

It's been written elsewhere that there was benefit to be had by adding a secure ground connection from the rear panel ground post (to which is connected the 4266 & 4267 amp boards' ground connection) to the star ground connection beneath the toroidal transformer. Hyperion, was this your call? I...
  6. LWB

AU-9500 comes back to life

Just re-assembled my AU-9500 after an embarrassingly long time in pieces in my workshop. Took it apart to refurb, got held up by a part and then life seemed to get in the way; but I finally completed the rebuild and adjusted the amp, all seems good. All new caps, changed out all the carbon-comp...
  7. LWB

Another take on SX-1010 AWR-054 power supply heat management

Somebody in another thread identified the SX-1010 power supply as a cause of global warming. A fair comment! It seems that every SX-1010 has a broiler built into the power supply. When it comes to trouble-shooting &/or refurbishing the SX-1010, the power supply is at the top of the list...
  8. LWB

New life for Mission 761i

In about 1995 I purchased a pair of low-end Mission 761i bookshelf speakers at a red-hot clearance price. I couldn’t resist grabbing a pair to try them, maybe use them as satellites. I took them home and swapped them into my system to see what they sounded like. Sitting in the stereo sweet...
  9. LWB

Scan-Dyna A20 pair

Along with the Mission Cyrus 782's posted in their own thread, I was given a pair of Scan-Dyna A20 speakers, which seem to be European-market precursors to Dynaco speakers sold in North America. These are in excellent shape, and had been stored in their original boxes for many years since last...
  10. LWB

Mission Cyrus 782

I was given a pair of these and wonder if there is any experience with them out there? They date from the late 1980's, and are in lovely condition: sun-faded, but no damage, all corners square and un-bashed. 4 Ohm. Mission's usual stretchy black grille cloth is just barely clinging to the...
  11. LWB

avguytx is an honorable guy

Guys like avguytx restore your faith in humanity.
  12. LWB

AU-D11II zener diode bypass question

It’s bugged me for some time that the voltage adjustments on the amp boards in the AU-D11II won’t stabilize, and other AKers have commented on the insoluble nature of this problem - if it is, indeed, a problem and there seems to be some disagreement on that. Looking at the F-4266 and F-4267 amp...
  13. LWB

AU-D11II Kluged Pre-out Connections

When I rebuilt my AU-D11II, I added pre-out RCA jacks on the back panel. I’d read a thread on AK in which someone had done it with their AU-D11II, and when I looked at the schematic and the Control (pre-amp) PCB, I could see where it would be easy to take off a separate pre-out. The factory test...
  14. LWB

Anybody know where to get these?

These are silicon hats that create a colour tint for the selector switch lamp bulbs in an AU-D11II. Sansui was not the only maker to use them. JVC used them, probably others. Does anyone know where to obtain them?
  15. LWB

AU-D11II power supply filter cap replacement

If the threads on AK are any indication, more than a few AU-D11II owners are reluctant to replace the main power supply filter capacitors if the originals still look serviceable. I know I was. My reluctance was compounded by the fact that there does not seem to be a source for replacement caps...
  16. LWB

AU-D11II replacement side panels

I’ve now made a second set of replacement side panels for my Sansui AU-D11II amps. I took photos through the process in case this is of interest to others with this amp and who may have the tools to do the job. The side panels on the AU-D11II are particle board clad with plastic wood-grained...
  17. LWB

AUD-11II correct relay?

My AUD-11II has two Matsushita protection relays, identified as JC2aD-DC24V. I can't find a data sheet for the OEM relay, although Panasonic (formerly Matsushita) has a data sheet that includes their similar relay JC2aF-DC24V-F. It shows the same pinouts, dimensions and coil spec as the OEM...
  18. LWB

AUD-11II PS Filter Caps

These four Hitacon Caps are out of my AUD-11II. The unit worked when I got it, even with these caps as they are. One of them had clearly spewed at some point before I got the amp (deposits on the PCB, too, & not Sansui glue). The other three have cracked, swollen rubber seals over what I presume...
  19. LWB

Should trimmer pots be matched?

In the process of working through an AU-D11II, serial 644039593, I changed the trim pots on the Control Amp board. The factory original pots are 100 ohm variable resistors, I replaced them with a couple of Bourn 3339H101 that I had in my parts bin. While setting them preliminarily, I noticed...
  20. LWB

Acquired Pioneer CS-R700 SM speakers

A good friend gave me these speakers. They've been sitting unused for many years in a basement. The cabinets and grille cloths are in good shape - some minor nicks and scratches, but quite presentable. The terminals are damaged and pieces missing so I must dismantle the terminal plates to fix...
  21. LWB

SX-1010 output woes

Doing as suggested under thread 'SX-1010 won't power on...': My points were in paragraph 2 of my first posting: A long-stored SX-1010 was given to me by the original owner some time ago. I was assured it was working. Physically, the unit needed cleanup, but was in pretty stellar condition...
Back
Top Bottom