Search results

1. drjohnnyfeva

Nobsound E6 Preamp Uses Directly Heated Tubes

I don't know what unity gain is and I'm not sure what 3db gain would be, but... I've been using mine for a couple years now. I have it going into a Fisher 295 SS Receiver with Infinity speakers. I use it in my classroom for music and for bumping up the volume from my laptop for videos and...
  2. drjohnnyfeva

A question about old fridges

Not really sure, but I think pull-out or sliding shelves are relatively new to the 2000's maybe even 2010's and beyond fridges. The ones you're @Telecolor 3007 showing above have adjustable shelves. You can see the brackets in the back of the Amana and they work exactly like the rail, wall...
  3. drjohnnyfeva

Indeed. This has been something I've wanted to attempt myself. We've been considering putting a concrete pad beside our shed for a few years since we moved. I had intended it to be small, but my wife had other notions... seating and maybe a stand-up bar or highboy tables. So I began to...
  4. drjohnnyfeva

As a kid, I cut lawns for extra cash for everything. I worked pretty hard at it cause I liked having money in my pocket and not having to ask my parents for it. Cut lawns, trimmed bushes, small trees, planted stuff, mulch, the whole deal thru high school and then after graduating college and...
  5. drjohnnyfeva

PC as source component

Ah, new information has come to light! I'll have to try that from the AE-5 to the Sony I have on the LR TV... That's one I've been running from the traditional headphones to the receiver because of connection limitations, but I think the Sony has a digital in...
  6. drjohnnyfeva

PC as source component

Indeed. The usb is superior in all ways. I had never used it before until I noticed in some literature about a FX-Audio Tube06 preamp unit that I had retired had an onboard DAC when using the USB input. Wow! From laptop to tube06 to a nice vintage Sony receiver. The difference was night and...
  7. drjohnnyfeva

PC as source component

I've been doing the same as @OldJBL . It was also an epiphany for me when I started doing it almost two decades ago. I had a desktop PC that I bumped the RAM to its max, 32gb (lol), installed a dedicated SoundBlaster audio card, and a low level GPU to gain additional video outs. I think it...
  8. drjohnnyfeva

Cleaning Records

I've tried many of the methods on @onwardjames thread at post #16. I was a Dawn and dishwater devotee from the 70's when on the rare occasion something needed to be cleaned, but was left to try more robust cleaning styles when Goodwill and Flea Markets became hunting ground for vinyl. On one...
  9. drjohnnyfeva

Furniture hack

Well, you found an old thread... that kind of died. Make it worthwhile and give some more info to revive it.
  10. drjohnnyfeva

REDUX and more - FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Yeah, I'm so accustomed to my system with the headphone jacks from the PC that the part I suggested was cheap and worked perfectly. There are RCA ones like this, but the ratings are poor. RCA rfi Reducer You could do it more cheaply with RCA to 3.5mm, thru the part I suggested above, and...
  11. drjohnnyfeva

I've wondered the same thing about a linear power supply, but I haven't really investigated it as my power cord that came with the E6 is a USB connection. If I recall, the directions recommend a 2A draw for the unit to perform as desired. I have mine plugged into a 2.5A fast charge phone usb...
  12. drjohnnyfeva

What was the last movie you watched?

Interesting Coen Bros movie. Not great, but enjoyed. Best quote of the movie, "I challenge your credentials!" THAT was hilarious in that special Coen Bros kinda way.
  13. drjohnnyfeva

What was the last movie you watched?

Introduced my 12 year old son to Rocky a couple Fridays ago. That led to Rocky 2, 3, and 4. I warned him a little about 4, but we watched it anyway. He said, "4 was terrible, dad." Yep. and almost simultaneously we said, "They shoulda stopped after 3." lol He wants to watch the rest...
  14. drjohnnyfeva

REDUX and more - FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Since I run a signal from my PC, I use one of these inline filters/ noise reducers. Works like a charm. I also use a dedicated power supply. Filter Power Supply
  15. drjohnnyfeva

Kenwood KA-9100 Volume Knob Screw Set Advice, please!

In the meantime, a couple to 4 layers of plastic wrap (Reynolds Cling Wrap) over the spindle with a push on the knob should hold it in place well until you find the right sized allen screw. If it were me, I want to play with my new toy before being forced into fixing something. ;) Enjoy.
  16. drjohnnyfeva

Best Looking Receiver of all Time

I have an older Magnavox model that uses fuse type bulbs that are located on the backside of what's pictured. They're easy to replace, but getting to them was a bit of a struggle. It looks like the 7851 might be a little easier to get to and you can get the fuse style LEDS in white, green, or...
  17. drjohnnyfeva

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

On the note of other uses. My 1997 Ford 150's automatic window and lock switches were not operational and I was about to pay for new window motors, lock relays, and wiring, but my car dude suggested taking a day to remove the door panels to spray everything in the door I could find with...
  18. drjohnnyfeva

I'm interested to know more about this and see some detailed pics with parts and some more explanation of what the different values and changes have made to the overall sound. I got interested in the mods that others did to the Tube03 and have seen the improvements when I did them myself, so...
  19. drjohnnyfeva

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Take a look back to posts #543-552 or so... The small bottles are concentrated and a little goes a long way and can be placed very accurately. The larger spray cans are fine and work too, but they are not precise and they are dilute. The spray cans have been compared to carpet bombing while...
  20. drjohnnyfeva

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Welcome, and wow! That's some serious modding right there. I'd be very interested to hear more about your listening impressions after burning it in a little. I also appreciate the concise way you specified the mods and the parts. It's been hard in this thread, other than going back deep into...
  21. drjohnnyfeva

When they were swapped into the E6, the sound wasn't as noticeably improved as when I used them to replace the ones in the Tube03. There are 4 more round caps in the pics, two large and two smaller. Not sure what their role is, but I know that with the Tube03, those were also swapped out by...
  22. drjohnnyfeva

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Yes, you ordered the wrong form. The pic above is a 1656 opamp, that is a different form factor than the one needed for the Tube03 mounted on a DiP8 adapter. When buying opamps you need to make sure they are in DiP8 form. The picture is of an opamp that has been soldered onto a DiP8 adapter...
  23. drjohnnyfeva

I have my E6 on my school system now. It gets turned off now at the end of each school day, but when I first got it, it stayed on 24/7 in my regular system. I only turned off the receiver and both of my tube units stayed on always. I do think they need a bit of a burn in period - all of the...
  24. drjohnnyfeva

I didn't notice any change when I changed the film caps, but I can't say that I've heard any deficiency in treble either with either version of the film caps.
Back
Top Bottom