Search results

1. Gene Wiseman

Koss Porta Pros with Yaxi pads

I bought the Porta Pros a few years ago and wasn't really that impressed. I recently tried them again with a dongle dac and thought they sounded better but were still not all that comfortable and a little bass heavy. The pads were deteriorating so I broke down and invested in some Yaxi pads...
  2. Gene Wiseman

Poor man's iPod

I don't even have a cell phone number and don't intend to activate it but a $29.00 Tracfone from Dollar General has to be the cheapest portable music streamer out there. This one has 32 GB memory and I added a 32 GB memory card. I mainly use Tidal but I also have Pandora and Tunein radio apps...
  3. Gene Wiseman

Super cheap Bluetooth headphone amp

I needed a Bluetooth dac for my office stereo a few years ago and bought one made by a company called MYPIN for about $25.00 on Amazon. I liked it so well I bought another one for my bedroom system. The unit has a headphone amp built in but I just figured it would be garbage and I didn't get...
  4. Gene Wiseman

Dongle dac for a phone with micro-b usp port

I have a cheap lg tracfone (I am not sure of the model) that has a micro-b usb port just like my kindle fire. I ordered a cheap dongle dac from Amazon but didn't realize that it was for a type-c usb port. Obviously I screwed up so I will be returning the dac. Can I get a dac for a phone like...
  5. Gene Wiseman

Best noise cancelling or noise isolating wireless earbuds

My Bose QC35 headphones gave up the ghost last week after several years use in the shop. I have worn them for everything from running machinery in the shop to lawn mowing and running a chainsaw. I am using some soundcore life dot 2 iems at the moment. I would like to find something with better...
  6. Gene Wiseman

Equalizer for headphones?

I recently posted on the diy forums for advice on making a diy equalizer. The reason I am wanting an equalizer is for headphone listening. My thought is that if I could adjust the eq on the individual channels to compensate for my old man hearing, I would be able to hear the details that I have...
  7. Gene Wiseman

Passive vs. active equalizer and pcb vs. point to point

I am thinking about making an equalizer and was hoping to get some opinions from folks more knowledgeable than me. My hearing isn't what it used to be in certain frequencies and an equalizer that would boost the frequencies that I don't hear well in the case of an active eq, or turn down the...
  8. Gene Wiseman

Downloaded music not there when offline

When I try to listen to my Tidal downloads offline, they may be there and they might not. Sometimes when I try to listen to my downloaded music it will say "not available offline" or something similar . I have plenty of space on my phone as it all goes on an sd card. It does the same thing with...
  9. Gene Wiseman

Using a bargain DVD player to play cd's.

I have a small desktop system in my office consisting of an old Realistic sa-150 integrated amp, Minimus 7 speakers, and an Acoustics Audio 6 1/2" powered subwoofer . I also have a Schiit Magni headphone amp with a Schiit Loki eq powering a set of Hifiman 4xx headphones. I had been looking for a...
  10. Gene Wiseman

Kindle fire with an external DAC?

Is there any way to use an external dac with a kindle fire? I use my kindle to stream music with a small desktop system in my shop but would like to upgrade the sound if it is possible. Thanks a lot, Gene
  11. Gene Wiseman

Subwoofer question

I recently bought an active subwoofer for my bookshelf system. I have an old Realistic SA-150 amp and a set of Realistic minimus 7 speakers so I added an Acoustic Audio PSW6 powered subwoofer. The sub is connected with the speaker wires going straight to the high power inputs and the minimus 7's...
  12. Gene Wiseman

Shure M97xT cartridge

I was thinking of upgrading the r25xt cartridge on my Realistic lab 290 turntable and was given advice here to try upgrading the stylus instead. Well I ended up tearing up my cartridge so I guess I will have to replace it after all. I see lots of m97xt cartridges on eBay for around $159.00 new...
  13. Gene Wiseman

Cartridge upgrade for Realistic lab-290 turntable

My turntable has a R25XT cartridge on it and I was thinking about upgrading to something a little better. I was thinking about an Ortofon 2M red. I have seen a lot of good reviews but I don't know if it would be a good match for my turntable or not. I buy a lot of used records and have several...
  14. Gene Wiseman

Headphone amp burn-in?

This is probably a stupid question but do amps need a burn-in time? I recently bought a Schiit Magni headphone amp and it seemed to be kind of lacking at the low end. I have been considering buying a Schiit Loki equalizer to adjust for records that seem to need a little more bass or to knock the...
  15. Gene Wiseman

Schiit magni 3 on the way!

As the title says, I have a Schiit magni 3 on order and it should get here Wednesday. I listen to mostly vinyl records and some cds through my Samson SR850 headphones powered by a Realistic SA 150 integrated amp. I am hoping that the Schiit headphone amp will be a step up from the Realistic amp...
  16. Gene Wiseman

Realistic SA-10 headphone amp?

I was just wondering how this amp would work as a headphone amp. It doesn't have a headphone jack but the speakers are connected with rca plugs into rca jacks on the back of the amp. It is rated at 1.2 watts at 1000 Hz with 10% distortion. I read that it puts out .75 watts per channel with very...
  17. Gene Wiseman

Looking for Bluetooth iem's

My wife is looking for some bluetooth in ear monitors for use at work in an office. She wants a neutral sound stage. She tried my Samson SR850's and was happy with the sound but don't want full size over the ear phones. She can spend up to $150.00 but wouldn't mind cheaper. Any suggestions would...
  18. Gene Wiseman

Vintage Radio Shack headphones

I have been putting together a vintage Realistic bookshelf stereo system with an SA-150 integrated amp, Minimus 7 speakers, and a Lab-290 turntable. The only component that doesn't fit into the early 80's Radio Shack theme is my headphones. I know that Radio Shack must have had some decent...
  19. Gene Wiseman

Realistic lab-290

I have been putting together a vintage Realistic bookshelf system in my office. I have a SA-150 integrated amp and am probably getting some Minimus 7 speakers from my wife for my birthday later this week. I have a lab-290 turntable coming that I bought on EBay. I think that it is basically a...
  20. Gene Wiseman

New guy looking for general headphone information

I would like to know where to find general information on headphones. When reading about headphones in the forums, the information goes over my head much of the time. Where can I find an introduction to headphones that explains the different types of headphones, impedance, what headphones work...
  21. Gene Wiseman

Preamp question

I realize that this is probably a stupid question that I should already know. I recently got my old Dual turntable back into working order and had to get my first ever preamp as I no longer own an amplifier with a phono input. I ordered a cheap preamp made by Go groove. Obviously this is not...
Back
Top Bottom