Search results

1. olddude55

Help with Fried Model RIIs

Oh, they work great and sound great but I can't find out a damned thing about them other than that they're transmission line and they use KEF drivers. The seem to be reasonably efficient, but I can't find any specs, any reviews, etc. I'd love to know this stuff and other things too, like MSRP...
  2. olddude55

Fried speakers...

No, not "fried" like in fried eggs, but Fried as in Bud Fried. I've got a pair of Model RII that were given to me several years ago. Needed a tweeter replaced (replaced them both with the proper NOS tweets). I've used these in my system before but they really sound good now. Seem to be a...
  3. olddude55

Stax Lambda Pro on normal bias?

I just picked up a set of Lambdas (SR-207) minus the Pro energizer. Got them plugged into the normal bias SRD7/SB. The soundstage is enormous compared to the SR-5s I've been using for years, and the bass goes deeper, but overall there's something lacking. From everything I've read, these cans...
  4. olddude55

Musical Concepts/Musical Design mods for the Hafler DH-101

I replaced all the electrolytic caps in my old Hafler preamp last week and can't believe how much better it sounds. Of course, that only whets the appetite for more better. Thinking of either the MC-3 board or the PAS Pro1 mod from MC/MD. Has anybody here actually heard those modifications...
  5. olddude55

I just couldn't help myself...

An NOS Micro Acoustics 282e came up on eBay, and well... Broke my rule against buying OOP carts.
  6. olddude55

"New" Grado 8MZ

How would I go about obtaining one of these? Do I need to call Grado direct?
  7. olddude55

Astatic MF-100 in red

It's a pretty pic, thought I'd post it.
  8. olddude55

You AR XA guys who want to maintain the original look...

Best Audio has gray head shells. Fit is perfect. I need a few more of these.
  9. olddude55

Best Audio AR Xa/Xb headshell

Just got one. Perfect fit.
  10. olddude55

Picked up two AR XAs yesterday...

They're rough for sure. This one has a good motor (it's a Haydon). The other deck has a better base and a better top plate. Needless to say, the arm needs rewired. The armrest is missing. I have a counterweight on the way. Still developing a plan, but I don't want to change arms or...
  11. olddude55

Glanz MFG-310Lx, a true oddball cart.

Not much info on the web. The cart gets a passing mention in a couple of A'gon and VE threads, 'n 'at's about it. No reviews. All I know for sure is that it's MIJ by Mitachi which also made the look-alike Astatics, and it tracks at 1.2-1.75 grams. I have it tracking at 1.5. I've put nearly...
  12. olddude55

Anyone ever re-wired a Transcriptors Vestigal arm?

I need to do this, pretty sure I can do it, have the stuff I need. Just like to draw on some experience, if possible.
  13. olddude55

Bought an NOS Micro-Acoustics Stratus 2...

Man, talk about lack of info on these carts. Weren't they MA's top of the line?
  14. olddude55

Nagoaka MP-200 on a Dual 1219 or 1229 anyone?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the MP-200 but don't know how well it matches up with the arm on my 1219. Currently using an AT VM540ML with excellent results if that helps. Don't ask why I want the Nag. Gear acquisition syndrome maybe.
  15. olddude55

Took a chanz on a Glanz

Bought an NIB Glanz MFG-310Lx from the auction site. Not much info on this particular cartridge, nothing even on the Cartridge Database. Read a few threads here and one long one on A'gon, didn't shed much light other than: 1) This particular Glanz is the same as the Astatic MF carts which are...
  16. olddude55

Spectro Acoustics 217R preamp...whaddya all know about this unit?

Just bought one. Guess I should have asked here first, eh?
  17. olddude55

Anyone here using a B&O cartridge on a non-B&O turntable?

Reason I'm asking, I have a good rebuilt MMC4 (it's got a Shibata tip on it) sitting around doing nothing. Is it worth $60 for a half-inch adapter?
  18. olddude55

Stoopid question maybe but you Dual guys here might help...

Applies to 1219s and 1229s Q and non-Q. The single/multi play lever broken dearing ring thing...what does the rubber washer do that causes so much bad stuff to happen? It's not a spring, is it? When it hardens or gums up, does it prevent the two ball bearings from turning? I'm rehabbing a 1219...
  19. olddude55

So I picked up a well-used SL-P370 and...

It played one disc, sounded terrific, then stopped working. It was free, so there's that, but I really like these players. Had one back in the day, loved the sound. Unfortunately, same thing killed it. Load the disc, it reads the disc, but mash "play" and it can't read the first track. I can...
  20. olddude55

So I bought a Hafler DH-101 and I'm going to recap it.

All the originals are still in place. That's verified through research here. I ordered the cap replacement kits from Ebay seller qua-co. The kit comes with instructions, which I need. Anybody have experience with these kits?
  21. olddude55

Hafler DH-101

Found one on Ebay cheep, untested except for power up. Looks to me like the unit's never had any work done on it. Later production as the tantalum caps have been replaced by electrolytics. The unit works perfectly and sounds terrific. Here's a pic of the inside: Hafler used Nichicons! The...
  22. olddude55

How hot is too hot?

Bought a Hafler DH-200 last week, seller said he had been using it regularly until about a week before he put it up for sale. In my system, sounded sweet but got hot driving Maggies. Not egg-frying hot, not hot enough to burn my hand, but hot. Whereas, when driving just headphones (Stax with...
  23. olddude55

Is there any actual difference between the M95 and the M95 Premiere?

I noticed this morning that my M95 has a Premiere sticker on the bottom.
  24. olddude55

So my beloved V15 Type II Improved fell apart yesterday.

Pulling the cartridge clips and the entire back part of the cartridge came out instead of clips coming off. I tried gluing the broken section back in place but the cart is dead. I had an NOS stylus on it with only about 30 hours on it and I loved the damned thing. My backup is an M95ED with a...
  25. olddude55

Misadventures in the key of N95HE

Yeah, I've wanted the JICO for a while now, but LP Tunes has them listed as out of stock, and it's been that way for a couple of months, and JICO's N95HE is a lot more expensive ordered from Japan once you factor in shipping. Lo and behold, yesterday scanning Ebay hoping for an NOS Shure...
Back
Top Bottom