Search results

1. H

Help needed to save Monitor Jr woofer

First, congrats on a successful coil transplant. Those doped woofers are critical to the way these speakers perform. I don’t believe the tweeters had any cooling technology, just a straightforward high quality dome tweeter. Are the mid/tweeter level pots set flat? Best to live with them that...
  2. H

Help needed to save Monitor Jr woofer

Despite the fact that Infinity did spec the 902-1187 as the replacement for the original woofers, I can attest from personal experience that the 902-1187 is not an appropriate substitute. They completely alter the tonal balance of these speakers, resulting in nothing close to their original...
  3. H

BA-5000 issue

You may want to beef up the wattage on the DBT; my recollection is that these amps are uncooperative with anything under 250W.
  4. H

BA 5000 resistors on F-2518 board

Just to help corroborate, these 1/2W resistors are 560Ω, as seen here: Apologies for the lousy enlargement. As seems to often be the case with errors in Sansui service manuals, the component listings for the individual boards will be the data that is incorrect, while the schematic itself...
  5. H

Bad Ass-5000!!

Where are you located?
  6. H

Kef kc62 & Sansui au-919 question

I see the LS50 is rated to 47hz, so I would think they can support a full range input and probably their response dip toward the low end would help smooth over the bridge between them and the sub.
  7. H

Kef kc62 & Sansui au-919 question

Not knowing the specifics on the 919, but if the connected/separated switch setup is similar to the 717, it seems the logical thing would be to tap out of the "pre-out" to provide a signal to drive the subwoofer, while the 919 operates as normal to drive the main "small" speakers. The 919 pre...
  8. H

I think I'm in trouble.. BA-5000

Two things that I’ve had luck with: a) a 250 watt photoflood for the DBT b) this little item to protect your meter(s): Knife switch closed to bypass the meters at power on, then opened after the initial inrush.
  9. H

Infinity monitor Jr woofer replacement

The originals are 8 ohm. This is what you want to look for: The woofer in its natural habitat: The shiny material is the "doping," an almost asphalt-like material Infinity applied to the paper cones to tune their response. The amount and appearance of the coating varies.
  10. H

Correct, the 902-1187 is what Infinity sold as the substitute, but its performance does not match the original woofer that came in the Jr., and the result is quite inferior to the sound of the original speaker. When I get a chance, unless someone else happens to chime in first, I can get the...
  11. H

This is probably not what you want to hear, but anything other than the original woofer is likely to be a disappointment. While the 902-1187 is purported by Infinity to be a substitute for the original, and is likely the woofer that I sourced from Infinity as replacements for my Jr.'s back in...
  12. H

Renaissance 80/90 help

I seem to recall from my crossover rebuild on my pair that the bottom panel has a slightly sticky foam sealing tape around its perimeter, and this may be just enough to make it be stubborn to remove. You can see some of the tape in evidence in this photo: You might want to (after removing...
  13. H

QRX-6001 CD-4 Mystery

First off, thanks to everyone for suggestions and observations. Well, sort of... This is the first time I've done a restoration on a receiver, but I did do a restoration and alignment on a TU-719 last year, which was an interesting challenge, but turned out quite well. I am lucky in having...
  14. H

QRX-6001 CD-4 Mystery

Thanks for the reply, no, not at all any quad use. This actually is the $60 thrift store purchase that has lived in the garage for 8-10 years, and I was finally getting around to giving it some well-deserved attention. I have to say the part of me that suffers from shipwright's disease will...
  15. H

QRX-6001 CD-4 Mystery

I've recently started to dig into the restoration on a 6001, and have run across an interesting puzzle with one of the boards. First off, it is very well built, but there is quite a plate of spaghetti holding this thing together, and with all of the soldered connections being on unmarked solder...
  16. H

Definition Series lamp colors

There's no doubt the color temp of the warm white led will be a different base color from the original Stanley incandescent (minus sleeve), and with led color output being notoriously sketchy until you get into high CRI lamps, it can really be a roll of the dice on the final result. Do you find...
  17. H

I just happened to take a shot a couple of nights ago of this behemoth on the bench, so here’s a little reference for the color of the original sleeved lamps. Not a great comparison with things being washed out by the bright worklight, but should give you a feel for how close the #131 gel is. I...
  18. H

I think you'll find the result very close to the character of the original, which is a distinctive and very appealing color. I'm curious if the originals were a standard offering from Stanley, or if the bulbs were custom produced for Sansui, or if Sansui added the gel sleeves in house...
  19. H

I have failed to find any reference to the color test I did previously, but here's the result of another pass at it. The best result before was with a double layer of color, and the Lee Filters #131 Marine Blue seems to be the winner, if memory serves. This combo might lean very slightly more...
  20. H

Several years back I had a conversation with one of the members (I don't believe it was a thread) regarding a color match for the original bulbs using either a Rosco or Lee theatrical gel. As I look back in my conversation history, this particular exchange is not showing up, and a search in...
  21. H

2SC1313 Substitute

Precisely. And appreciate all the input...
  22. H

2SC1313 Substitute

Certainly makes sense, and with their fitment here being: the 1845 will get the nod. Plus I take it as a good recommendation that my CA and BA-F1 are littered with the 1845 devices...
  23. H

IR5 Diode Data?

Yes, as indicated here: The A/B points are tied to the coil on the LY style soft-start relay and the PL602 is the protection circuit signal relay. I figure I will move forward with the 1N5393 which I have on hand and rest assured that like the 10D-1 and the 1R5G it will be somewhat of an...
  24. H

IR5 Diode Data?

As would seem to be the case here, and likely the original 1.5 amp 10D-1 on the schematic was more than adequate and the change to the '1R5G' was just a supplier shift at the time. Thanks though to egellings for the 1N54XXX suggestion-
  25. H

IR5 Diode Data?

Thanks, yeah, I suspected the marking might be "1R5G" initially, but under the loupe it read more as an "I." But, you're right, the google results for "1R5G" at least tended toward a diode, but since they mostly referred to a similar number for an ultrafast recovery diode I went with the...
Back
Top Bottom