Search results

1. spkrdtr

AR-3A Potentiometer

If you want to replace with a true rheostat like the A/P's were, and have the $ to spend, I suggest you Google Ohmite RHS15 part number. They are running in the $40 to $50 range each these days.
  2. spkrdtr

Tinnitus

....and thank you one afternoon at Nat'l Guard summer camp spent with a 50 cal. machine gun and no hearing protection (other than our fingers after the initial deafening) volley of rounds. The poor guy who fired the gun couldn't hear the next day. Drag racing. I measured the SPL at Epping...
  3. spkrdtr

AR3 cloth surrounds

If the 3's have Alnico woofers, that is of much more value than the surround material. The development of foam to replace cloth was very successful. However, don't know if researchers knew of the limited life of foam vs cloth. Not a deal breaker though because the performance with foam surrounds...
  4. spkrdtr

AR3 cloth surrounds

Probably. Odds about 50/50. Ask your question at the classic speaker pages.net web site. There are historians there with detail info relating serial numbers to design changes. It is the most authoritive AR site on the WWW.
  5. spkrdtr

Newbie needs ears testing!

Nothing beats a hearing test conducted by a certified audiologist. However, a poor man's hearing test can be done by just cupping you hands behind one ear at a time, then both while listeining to your favorite music in your listening position. If you hear a dramatic increase in detail and high...
  6. spkrdtr

Do you add glue to the inner edge during refoaming?

I refoamed 100's of woofers professionally for 10 yrs and never added that 'sealing' bead to the ID of the foam. If there's a leak there, then the bond between the angle attach portion of the foam to the cone isn't secure in that area.
  7. spkrdtr

How to find air leak in sealed speakers

Incense is a good suggestion. I've also used one of those fire starters that look like a gun and produce a small flame at the end. Just keep the flame away from any foam surrounds. Be sure to check the back of the speaker for leaks were the speaker wires connect. What size are your 'mids'?
  8. spkrdtr

Kindel Purist Speakers...?

worked on the Kindel Phantom. They had a very complex crossover - a nightmare of bypassed and staked caps to crossover purists. Pics available of the XO and speaker. PM me if any interest. The one I worked on has a very different HF section than the one linked to in a previous thread. A top...
  9. spkrdtr

More OLA capacitor talk

If you can get a 15 uF you can also get a 1 uF to parallel with it to make the 16. The switch toggles between the 16 and 8 and at times, includes the 3 ohm resistor.
  10. spkrdtr

Kindel speakers in Raleigh, NC

I worked on the Kindel Phantom. They had a very complex crossover - a nightmare of bypassed and staked caps to crossover purists. Pics available of the XO and speaker. PM me if any interest. The one I worked on has a very different HF section than the one linked to in a previous thread. A top...
  11. spkrdtr

Looking for advice on decent musical sub

IMO, "musical sub" is an oxymoron if it's running like a true sub should. Cut off freq should be well below 100 hz - 80 or less. If well above 100, it's not a true sub anymore. It's become a woofer that can handle LF.
  12. spkrdtr

Millionth time asked: What speaker wire guag

Opting for very low gauge cable is a myth brought about by the popular notion that the larger the cable size, the more likely electrons won't get 'lost' in the transmission of the signal from amp to speaker. You only need a large enough cable to not raise the cable's DCR significantly for the...
  13. spkrdtr

how do i soften speaker spider ?

Keep in mind the spider contributes approx. 70% to the woofer's compliance. So, softening the surround will help, but only a bit. Have you considered a powered sub to supplement the bass located nearby?
  14. spkrdtr

how do i soften speaker spider ?

I've been down that road in an attempt to gain more bass extension. I was lucky enough to have access to a co-worker who was an analytical chemist. He ran an analysis on a few spiders I gave him. He found all were bound with a thermo-set resin. The resin can be softened temporarily with acetone...
  15. spkrdtr

Ohm Acoustics Speaker Company Success

IIRC, Ohm is located in Brooklyn, NY.
  16. spkrdtr

Kef LS50 or Yamaha NS1000 in same price 700$

The Yamaha is a large, heavy speaker with very revealing sound. Much like a JBL. The Kef is a refined true to life sound stand or shelf mount speaker with great reviews. It all depends on which type of sound you like best. If you are a bass hound, the Yamaha is your best bet due to the much...
  17. spkrdtr

Speakerlab S7WA's in Germany

FG is a very effective sealed cabinet stuffing material when used normally as a stuffing material. I'm puzzled as to why they used FG in what is basically a sealed bag? Perhaps least cost and not adding significant weight whilst reducing cabinet volume. Never saw this technique before. Learned...
  18. spkrdtr

Is that blue plastic the FG is wrapped in? Is is porous?
  19. spkrdtr

Mixing different brand capacitors?

YES!
  20. spkrdtr

AR9LS vs. AR9

Note to the OP. For a wealth of information on your question, visit www.classicspeakerpages.net AR forum. There's been much discussion there about those two models recently. If not a member already, you will have to register in order to participate in discussion.
  21. spkrdtr

Considering Spendor BC 3's

Glad you took the plunge. I know you'd like them.
  22. spkrdtr

DQ-10s how much stuffing?

I've done a lot of stuffing studies that resulted in a rule of thumb for stuffing closed box speakers. Use house insulation fiberglass, not polyester. 1 lb./cu. ft. of box volume optimizes the Q and box resonance frequency. Try it. You'll like it! :-)
  23. spkrdtr

Save the coils and switches and replace everything else. I provided you with a schematic that does not show the switches.
  24. spkrdtr

Bring some reference music of you own you know how it should sound.
  25. spkrdtr

No thoughts. Maybe someone else could chime in.....
Back
Top Bottom