Search results

1. B

The Official KEF 105 Owners Registry

For such expensive speakers when they were released they did use some thin wire to the LF driver! I replaced the internal wiring decades ago along with bi-wire between the amp and speaker so it had robust wire to the woofer and eliminated those thin wires and plugs from the head to the base...
  2. B

VSP Labs Trans-Mos Gold Edition 200W

While I can't offer any suggestions on the soldered MOS-FETs on their modules, for those that still have a VSP Labs amp I scanned and uploaded some documents collected over the years and sent them to the AK Database. Currently they are in the "Last Uploaded" category but include things like a...
  3. B

Whats the most u paid 4 a VHS player

Sony SLV-676UC - a 4 head pro flying erase head HiFi audio top of the line in 1990. Don't know the price since it was purchased with a 27" Sony TV (long gone) and a stand for $1,600. Haven't used it in years and the clock is blinking 12:00 ... oh no, there are still batteries in the remote...
  4. B

Interesting - looks like the 30 and 100 uF caps from the schematic; perhaps the amp was driven into clipping and the original caps were over stressed and the 800 mA fuse hopefully blew to save the mid-range driver. Filed away and thanks for sharing that since I do want to keep my 105s happy.
  5. B

As a long time owner of a pair of original KEF 105's (4063A/B) I'd be interested to know which caps failed on your speakers. Here is the schematic I found on the internet. I know KEF did match/grade their crossovers to the drivers.
  6. B

70s sound or broken amp?

Heh. Let loose with your KEF 105s especially if you don't have neighbors nearby - they do sound great with symphonic music. Favorite story with my 105s - ended up with a pair of Audio Research 100 WpC amps running each in bridged mode as mono blocks back when the Telarc 1812 Overture recording...
  7. B

70s sound or broken amp?

As someone who has been living with KEF 105.1s from 1980 let me add some thoughts: Placement - as Grenadeslio recommended pull them away from the wall and they will really open up and you will gain imaging and a sound stage. Mine are away from the back wall however my living room isn't that...
  8. B

KEF owners thread

BigRedHusker - I've been living with a pair of the KEF 105 (Mk. 1) since 1980 and they do require a lot of power and current to make them sing. Some suggestions for diagnosing the problem with blowing the fuse in the MF (mid-frequencies). While I'm not familiar with the Allen Organ 75 tube...
  9. B

CD Player recommendations? $500ish

I've been enjoying a Marantz CD5005 since 2017 and it's a solid CD player. Only reason I didn't get the CD6006 was the store had the '5005 in stock and it was $100 less. Plus my 60 year old ears might not have heard the difference between the players.
  10. B

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Ok, I've been meaning to wander into this thread for a very long time and finally got around to it. First off - to 4-2-7 and everyone else who has contributed to this Sota Owners thread; thank you! I have learned an incredible amount of information on these turntables in the 60 plus pages of...
  11. B

Jazz album suggestions

This album caused me to buy a fair amount of audio gear back in the early 80's; a really great live jazz recording:
  12. B

Replace Denon CD-player and if so with what?

Vinyl2, Whew - I thought I might have caused a bit of a ruckus with that post - as an ex-electronics tech (and kind-of audiophile) it made a lot of sense to me regarding the change in sound over time for components. Then again I should have posted this thread instead...
  13. B

I honestly can't tell you what changes over time - but I've owned both electronics and have heard speakers that upon initial listening sounded fair to good and a month or so later would blow my socks off. As for the Marantz CD players - I'm not the only one who has encountered better sound...
  14. B

vinyl2, Check back with us in a few months after your CD6006 has some time on it. If you like it now, you will love it as time goes on. I have the CD5005 and while out of the box it sounded really good now that it's been used quite a bit the detail and sound is incredible with a quality CD...
  15. B

Is there any HD component tuner worth my time and money?

I've been living with a Sangean HDT 20 for several months and while I have no regrets buying it - it definitely is not like conventional tuners I've had before. Downsides: doesn't have inter-station muting so if you are dialing around for stations keep the volume low. AM - not going to win...
  16. B

KEF owners thread

Srinath, It was back in the 80's but I've heard the 105 Mk.2's with two large amps: the first time was at the store I purchased my 105's at and it was an Audio Research D350B monster amp. The second time was with a VSP Labs TransMOS 150 amp - my amp at the time. The owner of the Mk.2's...
  17. B

KEF owners thread

Could those 104/2's be pre-production models before the final ones came out? They look rough to me, like they were trying different things before the final model: http://us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/1980s/reference-series-model-1042-1984-96 Just a wild guess...
  18. B

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kef-owners-thread.630884/ I would suggest posting pictures of your KEF 105 in this thread. You may get more people shuddering and crying at your original pictures and thanking you for bringing them back to life. Bob
  19. B

As I recall I only had one or two of the original HF fuses with my 105's and I ended up buying 500 mA fast blow fuses from Radio Shack so I had spares. You can use the ones you have and switch over to the fast blows as needed. Then again back when I was using a turntable for music an...
  20. B

KEF owners thread

Time to join this thread. I've been living with KEF 105's (Mk1) since 1980 when I purchased the demos from a stereo store that I did a lot of business with. I was blown away by the sound stage the 105's created while listening to both classical and certain rock music. And I've been amazed at...
  21. KEF_105

KEF_105

22. Listening_room

Listening_room

23. B

Ok, as an owner of a pair of 105's purchased in 1980 (demo's) those 'before' photos were hard to look at considering how expensive they were when they first came out. A huge thanks for getting them back up and running again and I'm glad you are enjoying them. In fact my pair came slightly...
  24. B

Moebuster, I purchased spare fuses for my 105's (Mk1) from Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/littelfuse-500ma-gma-fast-blow-fuse-5-pcs--071-810 (HF fuse) https://www.parts-express.com/littelfuse-800ma-gma-fast-blow-fuse-5-pcs--071-816 (MF fuse) Note: these are 'fast blow' fuses...
  25. B

First listen Marantz CD6006

I've been enjoying a Marantz CD 5005 since last fall and to my ears it sounds great. My go-to reference CDs are very musical and have the depth and imaging that my old CD player had prior to it's laser giving out. That and the CD 5005 was $100 less than the CD 6006 that I was strongly...
Back
Top Bottom