Search results

1. dj23tsi

Anyone have Paradigm 9SE MK3 crossover schematic or stock cap values/pics?

Long story short I picked up a pair of these speakers and one of them sounds noticeably better than the other. I popped out the crossover on the speaker in question and first thing I noticed was a polarized cap on it which threw up a red flag right away. I've never seen that in any crossover...
  2. dj23tsi

Receiver and Amp nudies! Post them if ya got them!

Just picked up this dirty bird. NAD C370
  3. dj23tsi

ADS L500 lackluster sound. Need some input

I lost a tweeter on these so I ended up trading them even up for a pair of Paradigm 9SE MK3's in great condition. While the Paradigm's aren't exactly amazing they seem to be a very versatile set of speakers and overall they sound pretty good on all the different types of music I listen to.
  4. dj23tsi

$80 wasn't and isn't my budget. I'm not even really in the market for speakers. I just found these ADS's for $80 and based on a lot of good reviews here I thought that was a pretty good deal. I'm more or less questioning why everyone says they are great sounding. I live in MA so ADS's pop up a...
  5. dj23tsi

I like tinkering for sure. I like finding great deals as well. I'm not afraid to mod things and it can certainly be rewarding when something goes right. I've rebuilt a few crossovers already. Most of them had little to no difference but the one pair of Realistic Nova's I rebuilt I was blown away...
  6. dj23tsi

I only paid $80 for the pair so I'm not heartbroken. I know swapping speakers often takes some time to adjust but I listened to them for a week and was still not overly impressed. After hooking the B&W's back up I immediately noticed how much better they sounded. I got a quick demo of the ADS's...
  7. dj23tsi

Hi I recently picked up a nice set of ADS L500's locally and not overly impressed with them so far. From all the reviews on here saying what a great little speaker they are maybe my expectations were a bit much. Don't get me wrong they don't sound terrible by any means they just don't tickle my...
  8. dj23tsi

Vintage Pioneer vs Onkyo SX-650 vs TX-2500 MKII

So I ended up buying an all original fully functional Onkyo TX-6500 MKII. I haven't given it a proper listening session yet but the 15-20 minutes I have listened to it for I'm pretty happy with. I was a little disappointed at volume output compared to my TX-2500. Like I said though I haven't had...
  9. dj23tsi

So this comparison holds true even at the higher level/wattage as well? So many people love the Pioneers and rave about them. I'm not at all disappointed with the 650 I just don't think it sounds as good as the Onkyo. Granted my Onkyo has had a lot of work done and the 650 is still basically 45...
  10. dj23tsi

So I'm looking into buying my first big receiver in the 100 WPC range. Right now I've got an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII that I'm daily driving in the living room. It's hooked up to my TV/HTPC and sounds really good paired with a set of B&W DM1600's. Without writing a novel the Onkyo got the works. It...
  11. dj23tsi

B&W guru's needed. Looking for a replacement woofer for some old DM1600's

So I ended up picking up the pair of DM1800 woofers for $80 shipped. So far I am extremely happy with them. They do sound slightly different though. They seem to play a little deeper and a little less mid/vocals than the originals. They are also more power hungry and need a little extra on the...
  12. dj23tsi

I haven't come across that! Thanks! There is a pair of bass units on the bay right now from a set of DM1800's. I think they will work as they were in the same line as the 1600's I believe. The seller claims they work perfect but his only method of testing them is with a multimeter so I'm a...
  13. dj23tsi

I'm in need of a replacement woofer for an old set of B&W DM1600's. There is no part number on the woofer only a date which is 15 July 1987. I've hunted everywhere for the last month and can't come across an exact replacement. My question is are there any other B&W woofers that would be a close...
  14. dj23tsi

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Thrifting has been terribly slow in my neck of the woods lately but I happened to score an almost brand new snowboard, boots, bindings and a bag for my old lady for only $43! If it was used it never made it farther than the bunny hill!
  15. dj23tsi

SB-3P diode replacement/equivalent?

I do have a DMM and a diode/transistor tester. I have no reason to believe the SB-3P is bad as the receiver still works like it should. I'm just in the process of ordering caps for the power supply board and that particular diode is an old bulky plastic piece that looks rather cheapish.
  16. dj23tsi

Is it the proper type of diode? I couldn't find much info on the SB-3P other than it being a dual diode.
  17. dj23tsi

I'm working on a Pioneer SX-1500TD and was curious if this https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/844-MUR3020WTPBF is a suitable replacement for an SB-3P diode? I'm not very familiar with diode replacements just yet so any help or info is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks
  18. dj23tsi

Dahlquist vs Klipsch Heresy II's

The Heresy's do have the angled risers and he purchased them new back in 1981 if he remembers correctly. He doesn't have anything to test them with but he believes they still work like they should. I do like good full bass and listen to music at pretty moderate levels while in the kitchen...
  19. dj23tsi

Thanks for that heads-up. That's good to know. Maybe they are a little bit too much speaker for what I've got at the moment. I am very pleased with my B&W's (considering they only cost me $10) so I'm not in any hurry to pick up knew speakers. I just figured $200 was a pretty great deal for...
  20. dj23tsi

At this point I've lost hope on the DQ's. Half a dozen phone calls and a voice mail and still no reply. I responded within an hour of the listing and the ad is still up so I don't know what is going on. It's a bummer cause I really want them at this point! The Heresy's are a little over an hour...
  21. dj23tsi

Thanks for the input fellas! I'm very comfortable going for the DQ's. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller. What's a fair price to pay for these? I still don't know if they are DQ12's or 20's.
  22. dj23tsi

Right now my B&W's sound the best with my Onkyo TX-2500 MKII. I also have a Kenwood KR5030 and Pioneer SX1500TD and also a Yamaha CA 410 II. The Yamaha hasn't impressed me much at all with any speakers yet.
  23. dj23tsi

Thanks for your input guys. I've read tons on the Heresy's and it's so wishy-washy I don't know what to take from it. I can't seem to find very much at all on the Dahlquist other than a few people saying they sound awesome. I read the history about Dahlquist and the partnership with Marantz so I...
  24. dj23tsi

I have an opportunity locally to pick up a set of Heresy 2's or a set of Dahlquist both are the same asking price. I'm waiting for a reply but the Dahlquist look like DQ-20's. From a quick Google search they are both going to be a great deals but I've never actually heard either of them in...
  25. dj23tsi

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Maybe in your neck of the woods but I just started this whole thrifting/estate sale thing last summer and I've already seen more vintage Marantz around here than any other big name vintage brands. I'm guessing there must have been quite a few shops locally pushing Marantz's back in the day.
Back
Top Bottom