Search results

1. SomeGeoffGuy

Grateful Dead Poster Limited to 250

I had one in my cart, went to check out, then somehow it was sold out halfway through typing my address in. Waa waaa. Congrats whoever took it out of my cart! -Geoff
  2. SomeGeoffGuy

Considering investing. Curious about differences between models mc250 ma5100 mc2125 mc2002 use with magnepans. And compared to other amps.

I never put a gauge or a meter on it, but not loud enough to be that hot was what I remember - it was several years ago. How long do you think your challenger engine would last if you put a brick on the accelerator pedal as opposed to letting it just idle? That is what I got rid of the maggies...
  3. SomeGeoffGuy

Considering investing. Curious about differences between models mc250 ma5100 mc2125 mc2002 use with magnepans. And compared to other amps.

No, it is like driving your challenger at full throttle, all day, every day, all the time. Not recommended! -Geoff
  4. SomeGeoffGuy

I tried my MAC6700 with .7 Maggies - the 6700 got too hot to touch running around 90 on the volume, and it wasn't even that loud. I wouldn't recommend the combination. -Geoff
  5. SomeGeoffGuy

Klipsch RF-7III, the journey begins.

Oh yea - big time difference! I still wonder why they put the complexity on the tweeter though. Maybe if I ever do mess with the x-over, I will keep the bass design but put a 1st order on the tweeter and see what it sounds like. I guessed on the impedance, too. Do you think the woofers are 8...
  6. SomeGeoffGuy

I saw that - I just couldn't read the handwriting in the earlier posted schematic! I wasn't planning on tearing mine apart to get the value, and it is not like Klipsch publishes these. My windows updated last month and I lost my access to Multi-Sim (the circuit program I used). If I can get it...
  7. SomeGeoffGuy

McIntosh MA6900 - MAC6700 - MA7900 - which one??

Congrats! If you like the radio, go find a TM2 - the HD is a pretty amazing jump in sound quality. I got mine from Audio Classics - they get them from time to time. -Geoff
  8. SomeGeoffGuy

Roger Waters has re-recorded DSOTM

I saw Roger Waters like 25 years ago and lost all respect for him as a person when he went on and on about Bush being the devil and evil and the Iraq war being genocide. I mean, just make good music and spare my your personal political commentary. From what I have heard in interviews, Waters'...
  9. SomeGeoffGuy

I was playing around on Multi-Sim and I got the Bode plot working for the crossover model. I am not skilled enough to combine them into one, but this is how they show. I was playing around with the impedance of the speakers, but they have very little effect on the output form (surprisingly!)...
  10. SomeGeoffGuy

"another new Class D amplifier announced"

I just had a subwoofer amp go bad on me - 300 watt Class D in a Polk Audio sub. I pulled it apart, and right in the amplifier section, there was a 5 mm x 15 mm 16 pin chip with a hole burned through it. No schematic available, no ID on the chip, and it was surface mounted. Needless to say, there...
  11. SomeGeoffGuy

"another new Class D amplifier announced"

I wonder if people had these same conversations when solid state started coming out and tubes were the mainstream? Seems likely! -Geoff
  12. SomeGeoffGuy

That is why I wanted to start with a second factory part or just from scratch. You are getting deep in the crossover rabbit hole! -Geoff
  13. SomeGeoffGuy

Perfect match for MC1.25kw?

There is a guy in Hudsonville Michigan who has a set of XRT-30's running off a set of MC1201s. Probably a pretty good setup for similar amps! -Geoff
  14. SomeGeoffGuy

Lord, I just looked up how much those capacitors cost. I could literally spend as much on the crossover as I did the speakers. That is crazy. No wonder Magico speakers cost so much with their high end Mundorf Caps! -Geoff
  15. SomeGeoffGuy

OK - you have convinced me to try this! I saw in another thread where you can buy an original Klipsch crossover service part from a vendor for like $100 (each) including the wiring. I think I am going to buy a pair and try this so I can always go back to stock (that will calm the wife when I...
  16. SomeGeoffGuy

Remote control for MAC6700

The thing I notice with mine is that it has to be pointing exactly at the the receiver. Other than that no real issues. I bought my receiver used, and it came with it, so I don't have any history, but I think I am on the original firmware in the receiver too. I just figured it was because...
  17. SomeGeoffGuy

Did you get it down to a schematic yet? Edit; If you can get a picture of the backside and a clearer shot of the inductor values I can sketch one out. -Geoff
  18. SomeGeoffGuy

XCS1.5K Center Channel Loudspeaker

I mean, yea it is $40k, but it is made to go with the $130k a pair speakers (and I think that is a 2019 price from a review). It seems like if you are building a home theater at that price point, the $40k isn't that big of a deal. -Geoff
  19. SomeGeoffGuy

McIntosh C-4 and C-8 Umbilical Cord 170-036 No Longer Available From McIntosh

That sure looks like a tube socket ending. Have you tried it in an octal tube socket? If it fits, should be no problem to make something. They make all kinds of sockets and adapters for octal tubes. -Geoff
  20. SomeGeoffGuy

Potential issue with a new C2700, does this look normal??

I thought McIntosh had huge pick and place machines that populated the boards, then they were wave soldered? Could have sworn I saw it in a video somewhere. That would definitely explain the inconsistent alignment of the caps. -Geoff
  21. SomeGeoffGuy

New amps tripped circuit breaker

Definitely the right call! Have him check your voltage under load too. If you are seeing low voltage, the amps will pull even more current. -Geoff
  22. SomeGeoffGuy

Mc240 470pf capacitor question

I clipped out and checked those 100 uf caps yesterday and they measured at 220 and 233 uf. Glad I never fired this thing up. I can only imagine how bad the rest of them are. -Geoff
  23. SomeGeoffGuy

New amps tripped circuit breaker

Manual says each amp needs 12.5 Amps at 110 Volts. If you have your whole system on one circuit, I could totally see that blowing. For now I would try to run them on separate fuses until you can get a circuit or two added. Of course, if you try to run an extension cord with 12 amps of current...
  24. SomeGeoffGuy

Thank you! I really appreciate the help. This is great info. -Geoff
  25. SomeGeoffGuy

You are right of course, it is a tough fit. I feel like I need to build a side box for all the giant capacitors I keep picking to put inside of this thing. Why can't they still make a full line of bumblebees or black beauties! I figured since they were on the end I could fudge them a little bit...
Back
Top Bottom