Search results

1. T

Polk Monitor series driver interchangeability

I mean I suppose for a bookshelf speaker they are not small, but yeah...:p
  2. T

Thanks for the responses all, a big help. That confirms what I thought I was gleaning from other conversations, but you guys were much more concise. Thank you! I'll take a crack at the repair seeing as even a used driver on ebay will set me back what I paid for the speakers in the first...
  3. T

Epoxy-ing the magnets was on my to do list, now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner! Such is life. I may well try and salvage the frozen driver as you suggested, and I like your approach of heating and removing the dust cap. Somewhere else it was suggested cutting and lifting the cone...
  4. T

I have a set of Monitor 5's, one of them took a bump and the magnet shifted on the driver and now it's frozen. I'd like to find a suitable replacement, and I would prefer to find something local rather than ship something and risk that shifting in transit. Now, I found a set of 11t towers...
  5. T

Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Well..we shall see. A couple red flags have gone up but I'll reserve judgement pending a reply to some basic questions.
  6. T

Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Hey folks, I happened across a 650 for sale at a price that's hard to walk away from. From the somewhat blurry pics I've seen it's a little rough, some smudges/scratches on the faceplate, a few broken speaker terminals, and brown residue visible on the recessed areas of the toggle switches...
  7. T

Using AVR as power amp, speaker ??

I'm not sure I follow, don't both right and left pre-out leads need to go to the same place? Regardless, thanks for the idea. I'm still learning so any input is appreciated. And yes, in some regards the 2090 does leave the Marantz in the dust. It's far more powerful and a good bit quieter...
  8. T

Quick update: I brought home the 2230 and spent a couple hours futzing w it. It's in good shape overall, a little dusty but for what I paid I'm very pleased with the condition. I still need to give it a good cleaning but so far very impressed by the sound, although I can tell when it starts to...
  9. T

Oh yes, I intend to do that! Thanks for the handy link.
  10. T

Wow! Lot's to consider here, thanks all for the information. I think the original question of sub functionality is settled, I have a lot more to think about now! Speakers are Polk Monitor 5, and a Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer. The room is not terribly large, wide but not very deep with the 'ideal'...
  11. T

The 2230 will be the 'pre', and will go the the main-in on the Yamaha. Currently I have the sub hooked up via the LO, but it (the sub) does have connections for speaker in/outs.
  12. T

Since this relates to a HT avr I'll post here... On Sat. I'm going to pick up a Marantz 2230 to use for vinyl & streaming, currently I'm using a Yamaha rx-v2090 avr hooked up for 2.1. I'm sure the Marantz's 30w is plenty, but I like the idea of hooking it up to the 2090 and using that as the...
  13. T

Marantz 2230/1060 prices

Thats a good idea, hadn't thought of that and it certainly won't hurt to try. I am willing to wait, time isn't a huge factor. I believe now the one that piqued my interest was a bit of an anomaly, it was in great shape for the price and not really in line with what seems to be the going rate...
  14. T

Marantz 2230/1060 prices

I missed a nice looking 2230 on CL by a day :( Looked to be in fine shape, and a knowledgable seller. Only issue seemed to be a couple crackly pots. The seller was asking $230, which I would have happily paid. Anyways that got the bug in my ear. I have a few bits of gear I should be able to...
  15. T

Sony PS-Xx people what say you

Earlier this evening I was able to go in and really clean things up and relubricate it where it needed it. I also replaced a handful of caps and cleaned all the pots and switches I could get to. It works great now! All auto functions work on the first shot, strobe is nice and steady, everything...
  16. T

I should clarify, that sequence occurs all on the same setting, or rather no setting, since I have the cam out I just moved the linkage by hand to a spot where it dropped the needle at the outside edge of the platter. I actually -just- finished drilling, tapping and installing a couple slugs in...
  17. T

I tried repairing the cam with JB Weld but that doesn't seem to be holding, so I'll try the drilling and tapping method next. At any rate, that seems to be the root of the mechanical issues, the arm cycles as it should. However, it seems a little confused...Here's the sequence: -Touch 'start'...
  18. T

Yep, cracked it is! I'll remove it and see if I can't cobble something together.
  19. T

Sure, that makes sense. Now that I've actually laid eyes on them the caps all appear to be in good shape at least visually. I think I will go ahead and do the 2.2uf one that's associated with the strobe, as it is inconsistent. Once I get the mechanical bugaboos sorted, I'll have a better sense...
  20. T

I assume you're talking about the main gear under the top cover with the two semi-circular (ish) sub-gears on it...That all seems to be moving pretty freely. Maybe too freely? The sub gears just sort of flop around and don't seem to engage anything. It seems like -something- in the linkage is...
  21. T

Pulled the bottom cover last night. Fiddled around some with the linkages. I pulled the little brake shoe mechanism and cleaned and relubricated it. It moves nice and free now. I suspect I got something out of whack though, after reassembling I put it through the paces and while there is...
  22. T

Excellent, thanks!
  23. T

Ahh yeah that must have been what I was thinking of. Incidentaly, where have you guys sourced your caps from?
  24. T

Yep, downloaded both the manuals. The service manual is pretty neat, I like how it gives detailed descriptions of how the different mechanisms work and all that. Most of it is way over my head but still nice to have. I asked about the feet bc I recall reading somewhere that the gel can...
  25. T

Good to know, thanks. Reinforcing the feet is definitely on the short list of things to do. I did notice that the two back feet were bulging ever so slightly. Is that due to the gel inside deteriorating? Or simply due to the fact that most of the weight is back there...it's nothing extreme, you...
Back
Top Bottom