Search results

1. Ross Henning

My Second Pioneer SX-850 Restoration

I received my second SX-850 today. This one was in a bit better shape than the first one I restored, although it has it's own quirks. Firstly, someone has replaced the power cord, and they didn't have very good soldering skills. It's a multi-voltage unit, so it may have had a different mains...
  2. Ross Henning

Pioneer SX-850 Restoration

I found a decent deal on an SX-850 (decent these days anyway) on eBay. I wish I could find some of the deals that I've read about on this forum, but I'm just not that lucky. The guy who sold it indicated that one of the channels was blown out when he move a speaker while it was playing and the...
  3. Ross Henning

SX-880 Restoration

Hi Guys, I am now working on an SX-880. First thing, the protection relay won't engage. I pulled out the manual and started following the DC offset and Bias adjustments on Page 17, and found that I have 40 volts potential at pins 5 and 12. Not good obviously. I've been having some really...
  4. Ross Henning

Distortion Meter Suggestions

Does anyone have a good suggestion on acquiring a decent distortion meter without breaking the bank? I've not seen any on eBay that appear to be of any quality for less than $300, and there's no guarantee that the used ones for that price actually work correctly. There's also some brand new...
  5. Ross Henning

Technics SA-300 Distortion

Hi Guys, I am at my wits end with a Technics SA-300, and I'm hoping someone with more experience can shed some light on what I'm missing. This receiver exhibits distortion, even at low volume levels, and seems to be affected more by low frequencies than high. If I feed a 100hz signal, I see...
  6. Ross Henning

SX-980 Restoration

While I'm waiting on parts for my sx-990 I decided to go ahead and start working on an sx-980 I bought off of eBay. Deoxit gold did wonders for restoring the left channel that didn't work :-) I've replaced the electrolytics in the power supply and in the preamp. I haven't changed the filter...
  7. Ross Henning

SX-990 Restoration

Hi Guys, Well I'm starting a few Pioneer restorations now, including an SX-990. I have a really simple question that I'm actually a bit embarrassed to ask, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm installing LEDs in place of the bulbs in this unit. I've ordered white LEDs that...
  8. Ross Henning

MCS 3225 Bias Adjustment

Hey guys, I have a quick question on setting the bias on an MCS 3235. I checked a few things, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to touch it, but I wanted to ask here to make sure I'm checking the right points. I got a "service manual", if you want to call it that, from Stereomanuals.com. I...
  9. Ross Henning

Sencore SG-165 OR Similar?

Does anyone have a line on where I can find a good AM-FM-Stero analyzer for aligning tuners like the Sencore SG-165? It doesn't have to be top of the line, but I'd like to be able to generate a stereo signal to align the FM tuner properly. I found one on eBay for a ridiculous $450 + $60...
  10. Ross Henning

My first Receiver - MCS 3226

Hi All, I've been an electronics nut all my life, but only recently I've decided to get more serious about my hobby and really dig in and force myself to learn to be a true technician. I'm not after this as a career, at least not now...maybe when I retire. I just enjoy learning new stuff, and...
Back
Top Bottom