Search results

1. Andrew Heck

Help With Cartridge

I just got home with a Micro Seiki DD-33 I found locally. Very excited about the accusation and curious about the cart that rode in with it. I'll post a picture in a minute, but for now, it is metallic gold and cream (maybe it used to be white), with a blue rectangle on the front and MP are...
  2. Andrew Heck

Need To Restore Resistance In Replacement Tweeters?

My first pieces of kit were a pair of Scott s-15s, bought for $20, 25 years ago from a regular customer while waiting tables. They've awesome cabinets, all paper, and are decent sounding speakers that I have a nostalgic affinity for. That's why, when I upgraded by the grace of an unseen...
  3. Andrew Heck

Judge My Gain Calculations

I'm running a Denon DL-103 (output of .3mV) into a phono stage with 60dB of gain and I use a preamp with 14dB of gain. My calculations show +/- 1.5V output going to my power amp. Is this correct? The reason I ask is I was initially looking into a DIY buffer pre, but if this is correct, I do...
  4. Andrew Heck

Polk SDA 1B

What would be a good price on a pair of these in very good condition with the interconnect cable. I thank you for your time.
  5. Andrew Heck

Look What Fell Off Of A Truck...

Looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about.
  6. Andrew Heck

Advice On Adding A Tone Arm

So, the plan is to nude my Kenwood KP-990 that currently has a DL-103 so I can add a lower mass arm that will be better for my Stanton 680EEE. I’ve got a DIY MC pre and an Advent 300 for the MM duties ready to go. Here’s what I need to know: • How do I determine the target length of the...
  7. Andrew Heck

How’s My Impedance?

I’m not completely sure how one component’s output impedance relates to the following component’s input impedance. Could someone clarify this for me using the following values from my current chain? (Salas Simplistic Phono Pre) 50R > 100KR (Xiang Shen DAC 1A) 600R > 52KR (WHAMMY...
  8. Andrew Heck

Restoring An Acūrus A150, Soliciting Advice

I bought a well used A150 a few months ago and decided this week to dig in and check under the hood. I found myself deep in the wilds of Ooltewah, Tennessee yesterday at an electronics gurus office where I found out both power supply caps were shot, which was no real surprise. Since I’m gonna...
  9. Andrew Heck

DL-103 and Right Channel Distortion

Probably late to the game and asking a thousand times asked question, but, I made the mistake of getting the HiFiNews Analogue Test Disk, and my amazing sounding system failed the bias test of 300Hz at 14dB in the right channel. Now it’s all I hear, it’s in my head. I’m second guessing every...
  10. Andrew Heck

How should I run signal?

I’m building the Solas Folded Phono Pre and I’m wondering about sound degradation using cheap terminal blocks versus soldering the leads directly to the PCB. Am I geeking out and over analyzing this? Please advise.
  11. Andrew Heck

Transformer Choices, Please Help

Howdy, I'm getting ready to build the Salas Simple Folded Phono Amp, and I'm needing help choosing a good toroidal transformer. It needs to output two 18v secondaries at 30VAC for use in the US. I don't know why I'm having a hard time finding one, but I am. Any tips on best sources or how to...
  12. Andrew Heck

Laptop Charger As Power Source

I realize that all wall worts are not made the same, so is a laptop charger a good, quiet, low interference source of DC power? If so, I’ve wondered now for a while, what of ground in a DC circuit that’s not rectified from AC such as a battery powered head amp for MC phono signal boost? And how...
  13. Andrew Heck

Question about gain and my chain of components.

Howdy y’all, I’ve had new and very exciting changes/improvements to my system in the past few weeks and I’m not sure I’m utilizing these very powerful and awesome tools correctly. I’m hoping for an understandable explanation of gain as it applies to me and my system. As of right now, I’m...
  14. Andrew Heck

The Right Cartridge For The Arm.

So I received my new Kenwood KP-990 today. It’s a killer deck and quiet, which was a high priority in upgrading. Unfortunately, one of the selling points for this turntable was that it came with a brand new, pro set up DL-103. “Oh my, I thought, my first MC cart, and just days after horse...
  15. Andrew Heck

NAD 1300 vs DL-103, Fair Fight?

Howdy, and thanks in advance for your time and expertise. As I write, I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my new Kenwood KP-990, which is not only recently serviced (extensively) but also equipped with a brand new Denon DL-103 low output MC cartridge. I did not request the cart, it was part of...
  16. Andrew Heck

Revolver The Turntable

I’m currently using a Sansui FR 3060 and need to move it to my bedroom. Would a Revolver be a step up? I was hoping for better s/n and a less resonant Tonearm that I might even be able to upgrade. The goal is to be able to break into MC carts at some point. I love the Sansui, she’s got a lot...
  17. Andrew Heck

My New Custom “Axe”

I had the neck and rim made by Mark Hickler, he also set the neck, disassembled it and shipped it to me unfinished. I had been prowling the internet for vintage hardware for several months and was ready when it arrived, but first I had to finish sand the neck and sandwich a couple of layers of...
  18. Andrew Heck

My First Speaker Resurection, Driver Replacement Question

Howdy, so I picked up a pair of AR M4.5s today for $30. I Ohmed everything out and I at least have continuity through the voice coils and resisters (don't know if that's necessarily a clean bill of health, but at least it's a thing). Problem is that one of the mids (1210131-2) has a busted...
  19. Andrew Heck

Formula For Output Capacitors

So, I’ve been trying to figure out the value of the output couplers on my Xiang Sheng DAC-01a and there are no schematics available anywhere and the ones that are installed are very difficult to read... Anyway, I ran across a formula based on the input impedance of the amp downstream from the...
  20. Andrew Heck

Linux PC As Source To DAC, Help Please

Howdy friend, I have an old Dell running Linux that I want to use to stream Napster to my DAC without the interference of a sound card. I am not very tech savvy (I do have a go to guru, though). Let me ask the questions here... 1) What kind of network interface card would be best for this...
  21. Andrew Heck

Xiang Sheng DC-01a

Howdy. I'm a circuit novice trying to dig into this piece of equipment and get the most out of it. There are no schematics available, so I've been relying on bits and pieces of advice floating around the internet. The three things that I've found to be important are tube rolling, upgrading...
  22. Andrew Heck

Bridging Parasounds

In my present system I’m driving 150w speakers with a 100wpc power amp. I run my power amp wide open and control volume with my preamp. When I am really pushing the volume, the preamp potentiometer sits at 1 or 2 o’clock and I’m worried about inaudible clipping damaging my speakers. What I...
  23. Andrew Heck

Legend Audio Placement

I have a pair of Legend Audio LEG-7000s that I’m soon to place properly in my dining/living room. I find them to be exceptional speakers, but can’t find one shred of information on them. They are front ported three way tower speakers rated to 150w with a frequency response of 25HZ-24KHZ for...
  24. Andrew Heck

H.H. Scott S-15 Cap Change Question

I want to change out capacitors in my daughter's S-15s to metalized polypropylenes. I know I can run two values in series to equal a target value, but... What would be the damage if I replaced the pair of 5uf caps with 5.1uf caps? Each speaker takes a pair of 10ufs and a pair of 5ufs. I tried...
  25. Andrew Heck

Which Protractor Should I Use?

Hey there all, I have just installed the much lauded 8MZ to kickstart my Grado Black and after all the hype I'm not completely sold. I have a feeling that you could align this stylus extremely well and it would still want perfection. I've tried Stevenson and Lofgren B in a plug in generator...
Back
Top Bottom