Search results

1. DLudington

Shown up by a 20-year old Marantz AVR...

I've been quite satisfied with my cobbled together stereo for the last 15+ years - a nice HH Scott tube integrated and some Paradigm Studio 20 (v1) speakers. I knew the Paradigms weren't super efficient, but I was able to drive them pretty well with the 22wpc tube integrated amp in a smaller...
  2. DLudington

Sealed "Used" Record - to open or not to open?

So today I found a 12" single by Jamiroquai at my local record store for $20 - it's for their song "Little L" off of "A Funk Odyssey," which is my favorite album of theirs. And to find the full length album on vinyl is prohibitively expensive. So I went and bought the single, brought it home to...
  3. DLudington

Outer Sleeve recommendation for Box sets?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for outer plastic sleeves for Box sets or 3LP gatefolds? I have a few box sets in my collection and new 3LP gatefolds are getting awfully thick - too thick to fit in the typical outer sleeves I purchase from Amazon (Square Deal?) I've tried cutting & taping...
  4. DLudington

Tube pin cleaning w/magic eraser - quick n’ easy fix!

The other day I made the biggest improvement in my setups in years: I cleaned the tube pins on the preamp sections of my Scott amp and Bottlehead headphone amps. I know it’s been said a few times on this forum, but dipping the pins into a damp Magic Eraser will help clean off the kind of...
  5. DLudington

Rescued from the Dumpster!

The other week, I was making a trip to the local landfill to drop off stuff from an attic clean out and I noticed the truck in front of me had a stereo cabinet. As the couple was tossing the very poor (looked like water damage) components into the dumpster, I noticed this turntable mounted into...
  6. DLudington

Sony PS-X65 Turntable - $350 a Good value?

There is a very nice condition Sony PS-X65 turntable for sale near me with (2) XS15 cartridges. The asking price is $350. Is this worth the asking price (or about it)? Or should I wait for a Technics 1200 in that price range? I'm purchasing this for my dad, who wants an easy to maintain TT. I...
  7. DLudington

Leather / Deer hide Mat ADDS static?!?!

All, I just received one of the Deer hide mats from Jake's Mats on Amazon yesterday. I removed the rubber mat from my Lenco and put on the new deer hide. It sounds nicer than the OEM, with a nice addition to the lower registers. But while the OEM mat kept static to a minimum, this new deer...
  8. DLudington

Suitable tonearm under $500?

I plan on overhauling my Lenco L75 soon and want to replace the junky tonearm when I build a heavier plinth. My biggest issue is that I have a budget of $500 and there really isn't anything on the market new in that price range. I was planning on an Audiomods Kit arm, but after emailing Jeff...
  9. DLudington

Lenco Tonearm upgrade worth it?

I have a Lenco L75 that is mostly in stock shape. I fixed the v-blocks on the tonearm and added a lighter headshell and it sounds very nice with my Stanton 681 and a medium compliance stylus; but I know that it is considered the weak spot of the TT in general. I have a budget of about $500 to...
  10. DLudington

Stanton D6800EEE Off-Center cantilever: safe to use or possible fix?

A couple of months ago I purchased a second Stanton 681EEE with an off-center or skewed cantilever off of BarterTown when I thought my first unit was irreparably broken (I resoldered the coil and it works now!) Since I wasn’t going to use the EEE stylus since it’s too compliant for my original...
  11. DLudington

SME 3009 III & Shure V15: Looks like a screaming deal in DC area....

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/sme-type-iii-tonearm-with/6425701017.html This is probably 5 minutes from me, but I don't have the cash on hand to grab it. Taking the kids to DisneyWorld this month..... Someone else, go get this!!!!
  12. DLudington

Help! Open Coil on Stanton 681?

I need some help, as my tinkering has caused some damage to my Stanton 681 cartridge. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, as I should have left well enough alone. While trying to adjust the azimuth , I gently tried bending the metal tab on top. That caused it to break off with very little...
  13. DLudington

HH Scott Chocolate Faceplate setup- Pure Analog bliss!

I finally was able to pull my stereo back out now that the kids are old enough. With a lot of advice from the AK group here, I was able to get the TT up and running and pick out a new set of speakers since I have my old Paradigm Studio/20's to my brother in law. I use this as my only 2-channel...
  14. DLudington

Replacing 0.25uf Capacitor in Scott 222C?

I'm replacing all of the old Ceracaps in an HH Scott 222C/D (222C circuit & chassis with a 222D silver face)for my brother in law and it has this strange 0.25uf capacitor in the phase inverter circutry that I wasn't able to find a suitable modern replacement for. I purchased an 0.22uf capacitor...
  15. DLudington

Technics SL-1200 Mk1 Found at Thrift!!! What to do in order to get it running well?

So I bought a Technics SL-1200 Mk1 at the local thrift today! The condition of the TT was immaculate and it all seemed to work well mechanically. After checking that the arm cues up well and that the platter can hold a steady speed at the store, I bought it! What do I need to do to get this up...
  16. DLudington

Boston Acoustics A70: The Morning After....

So I purchased a pair of Boston Acoustic A70 Series I on Craigslist last night and after getting them home and hooked up, they sounded really thin on the low end and mids. After opening them up, I found 2 replacement Radio Shack/Optimus woofers in place of the original units. Does anyone have...
  17. DLudington

Nearfield Bookshelf speakers for vintage tubes: less than $400?

I have a restored HH Scott LK-48 that I was happily using with a pair of Paradigm Studio/20's for many years before I had to put everything away once my toddlers started getting too mobile. Now that the kids a bit older I pulled the amp back out, but no longer have the Paradigm speakers (gave...
  18. DLudington

EFB Circuit in HH Scott LK-48?

All, I have been very impressed with how well a CCS (source and sink) works in my Bottlehead equipment (Crack w/Speedball) so it has lead me to think how fixing the bias using a CCS/EFB circuit on my HH Scott LK-48 would help that amp. Since the LK-48/222C has a fixed cathode bias, how would I...
  19. DLudington

Bad Hum and distortion on HH Scott 222C: 120VAC at the OPT

I have an HH Scott 222C/D that has developed a very bad hum and distortion, regardless of the volume level and input chosen. When I open up the amp and take some measurements, many of my voltages are off compared to what the schematic says they should be, so I know something is amiss. I have...
  20. DLudington

HH Scott LK-48 Power Supply Hum

Hello All, I have a self-restored HH Scott LK-48 that has been working wonderfully for about 7 years now. Tonight, I noticed a very strong audible AC hum physically in the power supply where the 75/75/75/75 canned cap is. The cap has been disconnected and replaced with discrete caps...
  21. DLudington

Klipsch LaScala & Adcom Equip in Indiana

Hey, Thought I's post this up for those in Indiana, or Chicago http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ele/1060716576.html Seems like a good deal for the speakers alone. Lafayette is about 2.5 hours from Chicago.
  22. DLudington

Need help identifying Philco console

Hey all, This console popped up on my local craigslist, and I wanted to know some more about it. It appears to be a stereo design, due to the location of the amp and TT. Anyone know what the model is?? http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/clt/885277247.html I have no affiliation, etc...
  23. DLudington

Hot Dog! Another "Vinyl sounds so good" thread!

Wow! Sorry for another thread like this, but the Philips 312 that I picked up last week sounds great! In anticipation of buying a new stylus for my Stanton 681, I just picked up a cheap-o AT cart to make sure that the TT still worked. After about 3 hours of cartridge adjustment, azimuth...
  24. DLudington

Best cart for Philips GA-312

Hey again, After figuring out that my new TT has a Stanton 681 mounted, but needs a new stylus, (which costs $70), I wanted to know if there might be a better cartridge for the Philips series of tables. I have a well-balanced setup for my stereo right now, using a restored HH Scott LK-48...
  25. DLudington

Philips 312 mystery cartridge

Hey all, I just picked up a Philips 312 (old model with the green) and the stylus is completely shot. I took the cart out of the headshell, and it appears to be a non-descript steel cartridge, and the stylus pulls out from the front with those annoying brushes attached to it. On the side...
Back
Top Bottom