Search results

1. tuberadios69

Heathkit WM-5 Tube Monoblock or Dynaco Stereo 70

I've rebuilt two ST70's, one of which I use in my office system and love it. That being said, about 15 years ago I rebuilt a pair of WM-5's as a Christmas gift to a close friend. I was astounded how wonderful the WM-5's sounded when I completed and then tested them in my upstairs system...
  2. tuberadios69

Mica disease in early SS tuners

Not too sure there are any solid state tuners from the 1950's. According to the 2003 Orion Blue Book, the 312 line of tuners were introduced in 1960 (312-B and 312-C) while the 312-D was intro'd in 1968.
  3. tuberadios69

The night the (tuning) lights went out in (F-28) Virginia

I'll watch those videos this weekend. Thanks for the info! In the meantime, I've pulled my Pioneer Elite F-91 tuner out of "storage" to replace the F-28. The F-91 sounds nice and is very sensitive but I still prefer the sound of the (now dormant) F-28 by a very small margin.
  4. tuberadios69

Lafayette LA 2020A question.

And as often happens, no further comments by the OP who is a new AK poster. ?
  5. tuberadios69

Lafayette LA 2020A question.

First, I checked my old Lafayette catalogs and there never was an LA-2020A. The "LA" prefix would be for an integrated amplifier, a receiver would start with "LR". There was an LR-2020A stereo receiver which was rated at 20wpc rms ($249.99 retail) so I'll assume that's the unit you own...
  6. tuberadios69

The night the (tuning) lights went out in (F-28) Virginia

Well, my biggest fear took place a couple nights ago. I fired up the upstairs system and discovered my beloved Pioneer (Series 20) F-28 FM tuner's stereo, tuned and locked lights attached to the dial pointer assembly weren't firing up. Hence, total silence. The F-28 uses a unique photo sensor...
  7. tuberadios69

McIntosh mc240 rebuild times 2

Yup, those bumblebee caps have got to go. Every tube amp or preamp I've rebuilt had either cracked or leaky bumblebees. They just don't age well!
  8. tuberadios69

Multi-cap cans - always replace??

You are correct! I just checked their website.
  9. tuberadios69

Mc30 hum goes away when gain,hum or rca is touched

Oops! No tube shield is used for any of the MC-30's small signal tubes.
  10. tuberadios69

RIP Terry DeWick

Terrible news indeed. Terry was a wonderful human being and will be missed by so many folks whose lives he's touched. God speed, Terry!
  11. tuberadios69

KT-88 Red plating question

This is from another post but I confirmed this with my Hickok test data manual for the Models 533A, 600A and 605A. KT-88 setting: Filament 6.3 Selectors JR-5347-2 Bias 12 English 92 Gm (expected of new) 7000
  12. tuberadios69

Quick cap question. Don't recognize this brand...

They look like old wax/paper in oil caps to me. Personally, I'd toss them and replace with polypropylene caps.
  13. tuberadios69

Pioneer SX-2500 restoration need help!!!

No. The SX-2500 "remote" is wired to the unit. IE-the "remote" has a cable that plugs into the SX-2500. It is not RF or ultrasonic in operation. The SX-737 does not have the necessary socket for that "remote".
  14. tuberadios69

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Jazz last night on WBBT, public radio 107.3mhz in the suburbs of Richmond. Tuner is my grail Pioneer/Series 20 F-28.
  15. tuberadios69

What’s your top 5 pioneer??

Oops! I'd like to sub the M-22 Class A amp (Series 20) for the SX-1500TD since it and the SX-2500 look very similar. And, maybe the CT-A9 cassette deck for the SX-1010
  16. tuberadios69

What’s your top 5 pioneer??

SX-2500 SX-1500TD SX-1010 F-28 Tuner (Series 20) PL-C590 Turntable (Series 20)
  17. tuberadios69

anyone dealing currently with Roger Kennedy?

Someone needs to drive by his house and knock on the door. Too many excuses over too much time. Yeah, I know, cold and callous but this man has lied about his promise to update folks/customers the past two or three years. He may be a wonderful person but there is no evidence of that, now...
  18. tuberadios69

Can you always hear red plating?

When I built my Stereo Cost Cutters/Dynaco ST-70 kit back in 1988, I didn't know about matched tubes and therefore accidentally mixed up the quartet. The left front tube (EL34) began to red plate. There was an immediate, increasingly loud hum in the left speaker just as I cut the power...
  19. tuberadios69

Telefunken Black Diamond ECC83

Is it possible that those IP rights had expired? I was told by a tube industry honcho (who will remain anonymous) that the Tungsol/Mullard/Genalex names were acquired at no cost/fee. I, too, had assumed they were still owned by someone previously.
  20. tuberadios69

B&H confirms they are made in the Slovak Republic which = JJ. Now, JJ makes a very fine 12AX7/ECC83S tube at a reasonable price but $62 for tightly matched JJ ECC83S is way too expensive IMHO.
  21. tuberadios69

Well, Mike Matthews (Electro-Harmonix, Sovtek, etc.) was able to grab the names, "Tungsol", "Mullard" and "Genalex" for free since (I assume) the copywrites/patents for those had expired. Perhaps JJ was able to do the same for their "Telefunken" branded tubes.
  22. tuberadios69

It's about the Designer's guys ... they did it by ear and created more than one Classic speaker.

How about Spica's John Bau? The TC-50 was an immediate hit with its convincing soundstage and imaging. He also produced the Angelus. I still run a pair of TC-50's bolted to the Sound Anchor stands specifically made for the Spica's. Too bad he left the industry so soon to pursue other...
  23. tuberadios69

What's wrong with 80s Marantz gear?

Oops! I guess I pulled that thread from the "Similar Threads". Totally forgot to check the date(s). Thanks for pointing that out!
  24. tuberadios69

What's wrong with 80s Marantz gear?

Simply not true IMO. When Marantz moved production from the USA to Japan in the 70's, they bought Standard Radio and its factory(s) who then produced/manufactured their gear. When Philips bought Marantz from Superscope (I believe), they may have contributed raw CD transports, as an example...
  25. tuberadios69

Marantz 7 transporting screw

No, the wood piece you see in the picture is actually the top of the desk the preamp is sitting on. Both the top and bottom panel were removed in this picture. The post I'm referring to is threaded brass. When you remove the screw that attaches it to the bottom panel, the idea is for it to...
Back
Top Bottom