Search results

1. tuberadios69

The night the (tuning) lights went out in (F-28) Virginia

Well, my biggest fear took place a couple nights ago. I fired up the upstairs system and discovered my beloved Pioneer (Series 20) F-28 FM tuner's stereo, tuned and locked lights attached to the dial pointer assembly weren't firing up. Hence, total silence. The F-28 uses a unique photo sensor...
  2. tuberadios69

Marantz 7 transporting screw

I recently opened up my Marantz 7 preamp for regular maintenance. Question. There is a two inch or so cylindrical "post" that screws to the top, phenolic turret equipped board. IE- it hangs down under that board. During transport, you are supposed to screw in a screw at its bottom that...
  3. tuberadios69

Is the octal pre-amp output on the McIntosh C-11 compatible with the Pilot SA-260?

A good friend of mine has a McIntosh C-11 pre-amp and wants to hook up his Pilot SA-260 amp to it. He says the SA-260 does not have a power cord and hopes that the Mac C-11 pre-amp output socket will allow him to connect to the Pilot's "front" panel octal socket for power and sound. He is not...
  4. tuberadios69

Pioneer/Series 20 F-28 tuner sold on ebay this past week.

Someone got a really good deal on an F-28 tuner that, according to the seller's description, works fine. Just curious if it was somebody on here. I'd like to hear their reaction to the unit once they receive it and hook it up. I absolutely love mine and was very tempted to acquire a second one.
  5. tuberadios69

AG Tannenbaum gone, too?

I just remembered the manual resource AG Tannenbaum whom I've ordered from, before. While their website is still up, it appears they may be gone. I tried to submit a question form for a manual (Pioneer LX-34B) to which I got a "Go Daddy" response asking if I wanted to buy the domain. I assume...
  6. tuberadios69

Stereomanuals.com still in business?

Just hoping someone can confirm whether Rick Stout's "stereomanuals.com" is still in business. I've purchased from him in the past and have always been impressed with the quality of their manuals. I did try to buy their Pioneer compendium a year or two ago and never got a response. Yesterday...
  7. tuberadios69

Pioneer SX-34B, manual anyone?

I bought a Pioneer SX-34B this past weekend from a local marketplace listing (Facebook). It is in remarkably good condition and works. I'm going to clean it up a bit and replace capacitors and resistors as needed. I do have a schematic for it but was wondering if anyone had a pdf of the...
  8. tuberadios69

FM Fool station coordinates and Pioneer/Series 20 F-28

Yesterday while searching files on my laptop, I came across a document I saved a year or two ago. It was from the website FMFool. You put in your address, the approximate height of your FM antenna and it then shows you a large list of FM stations within, I don't know, maybe 100 miles. It...
  9. tuberadios69

Technics SP-25 question - two wires loose under the chassis

Quick question (I hope). I acquired a Technics SP-25 several months ago and am in the process of adding a tonearm to complete it, probably an SME (tt is mounted in a Technics SH-15B2 base with an SME mounting board/plate). Question: two small wires hang underneath the chassis. They are bare...
  10. tuberadios69

McIntosh MC-60 12AU7A phase inverter issue solved tonight

Oops! Friday night I returned home after meeting some friends for holiday libations. I switched on my upstairs system with MC-60's and was greeted with a rather loud hum from the left speaker. I was pretty surprised since the system played fine the previous evening. I rebuilt both amps in...
  11. tuberadios69

Pioneer/Series 20 F-26 Tuner bought on ebay

Well, I almost "won" a coveted Pioneer/Series 20 F-26 tuner yesterday afternoon. The old saying applied, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is, too good to be true". With about 10 seconds remaining in the auction, I was winning at $326, plus shipping and tax. I put in a final, higher...
  12. tuberadios69

ZU Audio DW 6 goes live in 15 minutes!

Zu Audio has re-introduced the Dirty Weekend Sale using the cabinet of their new Union 6 speakers with similar (but tighter tolerance) drivers as the Omen DW II former series. It goes live 1PM CST. There are two upgraded versions available, Superfly and Supreme (extra $499 or $899...
  13. tuberadios69

SMSL SU-8S opinions?

I just ordered an SMSL SU-8S DAC from Drop. I needed a DAC for my den system as I am getting ready to add Bluesound for use on my three systems. I'll be buying a Vault 2i and two Nodes. I'm presuming the SU-8s will be a better DAC than that in the Node, for the den system. Any experiences...
  14. tuberadios69

Pioneer/Series 20 F-28 tuner question(s)

I have just received a Pioneer/Series 20 F-28 I bought on the big auction site. Being a former employee of Pioneer when the Series 20 line was introduced, I've always regretted I didn't buy one when I had the opportunity, particularly at employee cost. Well, now I have one. Quick question(s)...
  15. tuberadios69

Technics SP-25, What can you tell me? Worth a gamble?

I came a across a Technics SP-25 this past weekend. It's mounted on a plain black plinth that I assume is the simpler of the original, two, Technics options (the other was Rosewood). Tonearm is a 12" Audio Technica (ATP-12T, I think). I have not had a chance to audition it, yet. I did notice...
  16. tuberadios69

Impedance question: McIntosh MC60's and ZU Audio DW II's

I posted this on the Mac forum here and did get one response but I'm hoping a few more might lend their expertise: Just got my Zu Audio Omen DW's this past weekend. LOVE them! Question for the brain trust on here. The speakers are rated as 12 ohm. They sound fine using the 8 ohm taps on the...
  17. tuberadios69

Systemdek IIX bearing size question

Hello! I have owned a Systemdek IIX turntable for many years and love it. I bought an upgrade replacement ceramic ball bearing and Moly (MoS2) oil several (5 1/2) years ago from a seller in France on ebay. I finally got around to installing it today. The new, ceramic ball bearing measures...
  18. tuberadios69

PD-65 lens popped out - how to re-glue it back in?

I have a PD-65 I got when they first came out. As many of you know, it is a fine sounding unit. However, one afternoon when I powered it up and opened the tray, the laser lens popped out. Fortunately, I caught it and put it into a plastic bag. I understand the PD-65 and other Pioneer units...
  19. tuberadios69

Systemdek IIX and popping sound

My Systemdek IIX is connected to my Marantz 7C and runs a Dynavector 10X5 MKII. It occasionally emits a loud popping sound/thump whereby the speaker's woofers bulge out. It is quite alarming. It takes an hour or so of playing music before it does this. I recently re-installed my Target wall...
  20. tuberadios69

Solid walnut end caps on ebay for RT-707

I received a pair of the dark, solid walnut end caps today that are being sold on ebay, for the RT-707. I've owned this deck since I bought it new when i was an employee of Pioneer from 1977 to 1996. I gotta tell ya, these end caps are very, very nice quality, attractive pieces! They fit over...
  21. tuberadios69

MC225 okay to use with 6GM5 tubes with the appropriate adaptor?

The 6GM5 is electrically identical to the 7591 tube but requires a different socket/pinout. It has a "Button 9-pin, E9-58" base. I'd like to confirm that the following ebay listing is an appropriate adaptor: 2pc Gold plated 6GM5 to 7591 tube converter adapter | eBay A buddy of mine plans to...
  22. tuberadios69

Russian K42Y-2 evaluations/thoughts?

Hello. everyone! In my previous rebuilds (Dyna/McIntosh/Heathkit/etc) I've used Infinicaps SETI, Wondercaps (old version), Sprague 715P orange drops, Kimber Kaps, Hovland, Philips, and MIT Multicaps (not a big fan of those) to replace Bumblebees and other old caps in amp rebuilds. I just...
  23. tuberadios69

Heathkit W5M multi-section electrolytic cap question

I rebuilt and gifted, a pair of W5M amps back around 1997, to a close friend. They sounded wonderful after I replaced all caps and resistors. I was sorry to see them leave my house! Well, I acquired another pair this past week. They are in great cosmetic shape and one has been partially...
  24. tuberadios69

Newly manufactured cabinets for Pioneer gear like CT-F950?

I corresponded a year or two ago with a retired gentleman on here who made fantastic walnut cabinets for older Pioneer gear in his spare time. He had advised I contact him in the winter when he was less busy fishing and so on. I was certainly willing to pay his price for such a case...
  25. tuberadios69

Commemorative Edition Mac 275 blows fuse - varistor has hole

My Gordon Gow Commemorative McIntosh MC-275 started blowing its main fuse. Removing the bottom plate I noticed that one of the two KCC CL70 varistors (?) has a small hole in it next to one leg. I also checked all the tubes for shorts, mutual transconductance and so forth on my Hickok 600A tube...
Back
Top Bottom