Search results

1. mykidsbutler

Age of collectors

61. Been collecting for 3 or 4 years to have something to keep my hands and mind busy upon retirement. Planned to retire end of May and just had shoulder surgery yesterday. So things aren’t getting off to a very good start. Here’s at tip for ya........ avoid the hobby when taking oxycodone and...
  2. mykidsbutler

Sx 780 problems

I had similar issue a while back. Found that Mr. Beam and i had installed a transistor backwards in the amp section. Learned my lesson about having Mr. Beam around when working. :thumbsup:
  3. mykidsbutler

Recommended Reading?

A must read for us beginners/newbies is “The theory and servicing of AM,FM, and FM stereo receivers” by Clarence Green. Can be hard to find but is well worth the read. There’s one listed on the auction site for 266.49, which is crazy money. Be patient and search around. Found mine for $50 on...
  4. mykidsbutler

Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

I like the addition of "backup lighting" over the bench. The kerosene could make a good supplement for the IPA and acetone for those really dirty units that come in. Yea, those are left over from my last hobby. Didn’t have the heart to sell all of the collection. Those are up there for my...
  5. mykidsbutler

Excellent point! Been trying to come up with an idea for something to hold my hand tools while I'm working to keep down the bench clutter.
  6. mykidsbutler

You can't always throw a project on the workbench, and it's not always about what's on your bench, but more about what's between your ears. Words to live by!:beerchug:
  7. mykidsbutler

Pretty modest compared to you guys. Im a fleet mechanic getting ready to retire and was looking for something to keep my mind and hands busy. Repaired my my first receiver, the one over the bench, and i caught the audio bug.......bad, real bad according to the wife. Would appreciate any...
  8. mykidsbutler

SX-680 Restoration Troubles

Check out post 450 to 453 on this thread for the adjustment portion of your question. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stk-0050-replacement-for-sx-780-and-others.721181/page-23#post-11873979 Two items to pay attention to pre power up. Use your DBT and adjust you trimmer resistor...
  9. mykidsbutler

Pioneer SX-780 in 1975 Druckers Electronics Commercial

Encase anyone is curious. In 2020 dollars it would be $810.81! Wow, i couldn’t afford one then, still couldn’t afford one now! :rflmao::rant:
  10. mykidsbutler

"Best" nichicon series to use?

I think Michelin makes the best tires...............oh! Sorry same argument, wrong forum!
  11. mykidsbutler

STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

Check post #450 to #453 on this thread.
  12. mykidsbutler

Who were authorized "big box" retailers of high end Pioneer in 1978

We had Best Products and Circuit City. CC was my my favorite “drooling” place when i was in high school. I can still smell the smell of hot electronics in the audio department. Ahh, the good old days!
  13. mykidsbutler

KSC2316 on fleaBay

?
  14. mykidsbutler

Pioneer SX-680 less power in one channel

First thing read this thread on using Deoxit to clean all switches and pots. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/ . A good cleaning solves many issues. Unless your willing and able to remove each switch/pots from the circuit board...
  15. mykidsbutler

A-Z Occupations

Dingbat collector
  16. mykidsbutler

Sx 780 problems

First thing i would do is install some 1k resistor as directed in this thread, post #2 https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-780-stk-0050-voltages.879889/#post-12961870 . Then take you voltage readings. You also need to build yourself a dim bulb tester also know as a DBT. Do...
  17. mykidsbutler

A-Z Occupations

Egyptian Eel wrangler
  18. mykidsbutler

A-Z Occupations

Communist coin counter
  19. mykidsbutler

Hormel what were you thinking

No no, you need to fry it first.....
  20. mykidsbutler

A-Z Occupations

Bronco buster