Search results

1. empirelvr

Apt Holman Preamp Toggle Switch Pop Problem

Hey everyone! I just finished rebuilding an Apt preamp I acquired almost twenty years ago as a parts unit but decided to keep intact and "one day" fix up. "One day" turned out to be January after many years of periodically taking it out, putting it on the bench, discovering something else...
  2. empirelvr

A full crossover for the Realistic Nova 7B....I did it.

I originally posted a version of this in another thread but thought I'd flesh it out more with some pictures and start a new topic to get more eyes on it. I've owned a pair of Nova 7B's for almost 30 years now. They belonged to my in-laws, and my wife and I got them during one of their moves...
  3. empirelvr

Sangean HDT-1 Clock Modification. What was it?

Hey All, I have a Sangean HDT-1 that I got from a Salvation Army store long, long ago. It must have been one of the first ones because it has the issue with the clock that it doesn't keep time well at all. Supposedly Sangean offered to modify existing tuners made after a running fix was made...
  4. empirelvr

Technics SL-1200 Mk. II dust cover without the bubble? Is there such a thing?

Hey all! I'm an a situation where the dust cover on my Technics 1200Mk.II is causing design issues with a desk/equipment rack I'm designing. The problem is the bubble in the dust cover. I would prefer a dust cover that was flat. (Since the tonearm doesn't go above 0 or 1 anyway, I don't need...
  5. empirelvr

Unusual Resume question for the business savvy here

Hey all! As the thread title says, this is a question concerning updating a resume. (My wife's to be exact.) The circumstances are unusual, and we can't find it addressed by any of the usual business websites (Indeed.com, Ask A Manager, etc.) Basically, she spent her whole career (over thirty...
  6. empirelvr

Nakamichi tape eating issue (Model 480 specific)

Two years ago I replaced the belts on a Nak 480 that was gifted to me. Aside from an eject issue (as I posted about here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nakamichi-eject-issue-model-480-specific.813790/) the deck seemed okay. The truth is though even immediately after I...
  7. empirelvr

BIC 940 Anti-Skate Question

Hey all, I've been servicing a BIC 940 for a friend and while I have been able to find wonderful tips for how to refurbish these changers both here and on places like YouTube, I have one issue that I can't find any kind of help with anywhere. So, consider this a big red HELP flag! The issue...
  8. empirelvr

Wonky Denon DCD-1500 II tray

I've had this Denon for going on...oh...25 years now I'd wager. Got it used for $25. Wonderful player (as many of you realize.) But.... For the last six or seven years the tray/drawer developed this odd, jerky hesitant motion when ejecting or loading CD's. It used to be so smooth and silky...
  9. empirelvr

Nakamichi eject issue (Model 480 specific)

Recently I was gifted a very nice condition Nak 480 two-head deck. Very clean, but hadn't been used in years. The big immediate issue was the belts were shot, so I ordered them and just replaced them. After that two (or one and a half) other issues came up. 1. Closing the door doesn't...
  10. empirelvr

Can't figure this out about modern phono preamplifiers...

Just for fun I've been browsing affordable stand alone MM phono preamps on Amazon (Like the NAD PP 2e, Pro-Ject Phono Box, etc) and notice a puzzling common trait, specs wise. Almost all of these preamps have over 120 pf to upwards of 250 pf of internal capacitance in parallel with 47kOhm...
  11. empirelvr

Anyone going to the Capital Audiofest in Silver Spring MD the weekend of 07-25?

Wondering if anyone is heading to the Sheraton Hotel in Silver Spring this weekend to check out the show.
  12. empirelvr

Issues with VPI 16.5 Vacuum Tube breaking?

I purchased a VPI 16.5 about six months ago. Works great, and I've cleaned about 100~150 records with it so far, using VPI's fluid. When I went to clean a record Sunday though, the vacuum arm tube broke right off during a vacuum cycle! A clean break, right where the wand enters the black...
  13. empirelvr

Gibson (guitars) buys Stanton

I saw this on the AudioAsylum forum and am surprised no one has seemingly mentioned it here. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-gibson-guitar-stanton-purchase-20111207,0,6218046.story A moment of silence for what is no doubt the final nail in the coffin of the Pickering/Stanton...
  14. empirelvr

First elliptical? Or something more?

From the January 1960 issue of High Fidelity. Do any of the "veterans" here have any idea what they were talking about? Was this one of the first elliptical's or something even more radical? History has shown nothing is ever really new (talking pictures, CinemaScope etc) but they make this...
  15. empirelvr

Can anyone point me to a Fisher RIAA mod?

It's pretty well known that the RIAA circuit in the Fisher 400/500/800 series receivers don't have an accurate RIAA network. They roll off starting at 50Hz. I've read here and elsewhere mutterings about altering the values of the resistors and capacitors in the RIAA feedback loop to achieve a...
  16. empirelvr

Scotch 282..anyone know what this is?

Hey all, I was given a NOS reel of Scotch 282 today at work by someone who knows I like collecting old/unusual reel tapes. I've had no luck finding any info on this formulation. The specs on the box are: 1200 ft, 1.5 mil polyester. It's on a 7" reel. It also has the word "sandwich" on...
  17. empirelvr

Some Empire Turntable History

***UPDATED****UPDATED***UPDATED***UPDATED**** Updated November 19, 2010 I posted a version of this in another thread on Empire turntables and the response I received encouraged me to flesh it out even more and post it under a new topic. As my username implies, I’m a big fan of these...
Back
Top Bottom