Search results

1. DeFriend

AudioQuest Golden Gate Cables - Anyone Have Problems With Them?

Tin is an order of magnitude worse than copper and silver, and lead is even worse. Gold is a close third place after silver and copper.
  2. DeFriend

AudioQuest Golden Gate Cables - Anyone Have Problems With Them?

A very good crimp is basically synonymous with cold-welding, which allows a pure copper-to-copper junction, which conducts much better than a tin-lead solder sandwich.
  3. DeFriend

Do you have hobby -related regrets?

I just have a hard time when someone creates an unreadable sentence; it makes my eye twitch. It didn't help when the poster doubled-down on the mistake with an explanation that makes no sense; I'm all-in at this point. There is literally no place where a semicolon can fix this: "My degree is...
  4. DeFriend

SS Amps That Will Run 2 Ohms

loudnoises, we seem to agree. 2000>1800 (and 1800 is optimistic; 1500 is generally the most you'd want to pull from a 15A circuit) Read my other comment about needing 4000 watts bare minimum to get 2 channels of 1000w class-A. (even ignoring my comment to double to 8000W supply for some...
  5. DeFriend

Confused about an active crossover letting information above the low pass setting pass to my subs...

looks like you want a 48/dB slope. Or just set your low-pass knee frequency lower. I set my miniDSP for a 45 Hz low-pass to the subwoofer amp.
  6. DeFriend

Honestly, your hand is going to be forced to using high-end class D amplifiers, like Bel Canto or PS Audio Stellar amps.
  7. DeFriend

20A isn't even close to what you need. watts = volts x amperage. 1000 watts of class A into a single channel is going to draw over 2000 watts. 2000/110 is really close to 20 amps; you'd need each channel on at least its own 20 amp circuit, and you'll probably be tripping the breakers all the...
  8. DeFriend

To deliver 2000 watts, it's going to consume more than double that. Per channel. 8000 watts requires at least 220 volts (you're never going to get more than 1500 watts on 110v without blowing circuit breakers).
  9. DeFriend

Receiver / Amplifier Energy Consumption Question

A typical class AB amplifier won't draw much power at idle, regardless of the power rating, and won't draw more power than what you ask it to draw. Modern class D amplifiers are even more efficient. A high-end class AB amp that is heavily biased toward class A will certainly draw more power at...
  10. DeFriend

Any reason not to use an automotive active crossover in a home unit?

I used a 2-way automotive crossover a very long time ago to provide a summed low-pass signal to feed an amp that fed a passive subwoofer. It worked fairly well. As someone else has stated, feed it more than 12 volts. Automotive alternators and voltage regulators are usually above 14 volts...
  11. DeFriend

Before upgrading from receivers to separates, I blew a tweeter on some PSB 500 speakers, and roommates blew a tweeter and a woofer. I bought an extra spare tweeter "just in case", but never burned out another one. Still have the spare in a drawer.
  12. DeFriend

"My degree is worth less significantly than that." I agree. You didn't even learn to write a proper sentence. (I sold a 1988 Suzuki Quadracer for $1200 to pay for tuition in 1991. They sell for a lot more now.)
  13. DeFriend

Reputable Tech recommendations for MN Twin Cities or Western Wisconsin

Following. I believe the place in Savage is very selective in what they will even consider working on.
  14. DeFriend

Just a thought......car audio for home stereo?

I did this as well. It is easy, since the electronic crossover can be powered by a relatively small power supply. Running a car amplifier off 120v requires way too much cash to be worthwhile, since it's cheaper to just get a proper home amplifier designed for 120v (Note #1: automotive 12v...
  15. DeFriend

Just a thought......car audio for home stereo?

There was a kid down the hall from me in the college dorm in 1991 that had a pair of 6x9s in prefab boxes powered by a pair of Carver cube amps, supplemented by a giant pro subwoofer and monster Crown(?) amp. One of the few systems I've heard that literally knocked things off shelves in adjacent...
  16. DeFriend

How long does your amp etc take to warm up?

Read some Neal Stephenson if you want maximum bang for the buck. 900 pages of thick reading is typical of his novels, and slows down my speed reading. If you want to jump into the deep end of the pool, go directly to the Baroque Cycle, which starts with "Quicksilver". Cryptonomicon is also...
  17. DeFriend

Pre-amp recommendations

I forgot that I have a Parasound Halo P3 in mint condition that I am not using (the silver version). I bought it thinking I would run full-balanced XLR cables with corresponding power amp(s), but stuck with my vacuum tube preamp using RCA cables instead. It has all the original packing...
  18. DeFriend

How high can you hear? Hearing damage commiseration thread

Ha! My work computer and USB Jabra headset has nothing outside of 80-9000 Hz when playing this YouTube sweep!
  19. DeFriend

Yeah, there is a fair amount of high-end gear (especially front-end gear; not aware of any power amps) that lacks power switches
  20. DeFriend

Turning electronics on can wear them out faster than just leaving them on. Not entirely unlike internal combustion engines; it's the short trips that do the most harm (in which case is adding acidic water vapor to the crankcase oil and the exhaust system). Electronics, especially capacitors and...
  21. DeFriend

Sharing Sources Between Amps

As long as the power amps have a reasonably high (and similar to each other!) impedence, there won't be much interaction (they won't "see" each other). That being said, the interaction is greater than zero. Less is more.
  22. DeFriend

What causes audio volume to lower and restore

Listen to your TV or receiver in "late night" mode. It will drive you bonkers. You hear the leading edge of a transient, then the volume noticeably drops for a second or two, then slowly ramps back up during another second or two. Until the next leading edge, then lather, rinse, and repeat.
  23. DeFriend

How high can you hear? Hearing damage commiseration thread

Utter horsepucky, but I'm sure that is signified by your emoji. I'm 50 and can hear well past 15,000 Hz (I'd be willing to bet closer to 17,000)
  24. DeFriend

Also, my vinyl (I assume the cantilever suspension, as I never turn off my phonostage, which doesn't even have a front-panel power switch) doesn't sound fully opened up until I've played at least one album side, which conveniently matches the time it takes for everything else to open up...
  25. DeFriend

Yeah, output transistors definitely change characteristics depending on temperature, and Thresholds (and other Pass amps) have their opto-biasing to optimize performance when fully warm. Many shop service manuals (including Adcom's Pass amps) recommend biasing based on transistor temperature...
Back
Top Bottom