Search results

1. R

Marantz SR1000 Restoration

I am rebuilding a Marantz SR 1000 that cosmetically is in near mint condition and is working. However, the caps need replacing and some of the voltage measurements are off so I will deal with those issues. I know this is not a high end receiver but will do well enough for my little shop, driving...
  2. R

SX-3700 Recap/Restore Thread

Good luck oldgearhog with your SX-3700. My brothers unit is now back in his garage (jeeez) and not in the living room but that is where he enjoys listening to it. You may have much more experience than I did, I overhaul old radios so this project was a little different for me. I photographed the...
  3. R

After reassembly and the amp working well for a few hours, I moved it and lost the right channel. I opened it up and did the tap test to see if I have loosened any of the solder joints but all seemed well, but still no sound or, very faint sound. I happened to touch the right tape switch on the...
  4. R

Just and update. I completed the rebuild and everything works as it should. It took time but I think replacing all the caps has resulted in a much cooler running amp and I think upping the large 8200uf to 10,000 was probably worth it. Just a note to anyone else who has one of these and is...
  5. R

Thanks. I replaced all of the caps excluding the ceramics. I did replace the 103 ceramic near the 8200uf which was melted into one of these large caps. Strangely, when I tested it after removing it came back normal including the ESR. I found a couple of small 0.47uf caps that appeared to be...
  6. R

Ohgoshjosh I wonder if you found any instances of the polarity that is displayed on the board being incorrect. I found several caps (three I think) in the power protection board that appeared to be installed with the polarity reversed. The cap displayed the negative terminal installed in the...
  7. R

Congratulations on successfully completing the recap and reassembly. Is the dial pointer in the wrong place on reassembly. The unit looks great and I hope my turns out as well. I have run into a bit of a problem that I hope someone can help with. I am about half way through my recap and...
  8. R

Thank you.
  9. R

I wonder if someone can offer some advice regarding my 3700 restore. I was looking at the Pioneer Fork relating to transistors and read the following: T0-3 type transistors can be used for the output states of power amplifiers. The metal section, with holes with screws acts as the collector...
  10. R

Just an update on where I am in this restore of my brothers beloved SX3700. As I noted before I got lucky here in that everything in this old receiver (November 1980) is working and the two primary concerns were a thorough cleaning of the boards and recapping. The boards had perhaps an 1/8” of...
  11. R

Thanks for the lead on the replacement bulbs. You're right the lamp sockets are a bugger, makes me nervous about the condition of the boards. Don't want to crack one of those. My old point to point wiring in radios is sure looking good to me. I emailed the maker of Sil-pads to ask them to...
  12. R

Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. I am in the process of cleaning the boards up and they need it after years sitting in the garage. As you have suggested the I will remove the front cover and see what kind of access I have. Started by clipping all of the cable connectors to...
  13. R

I am hoping ohgoshjosh can point me in the right direction because I am stuck. The question is what is the best and safest way to remove the circuit boards from my unit to start recapping. Do you take all of the screws and disassemble the metal case to avoid damaging them or do you attempt to...
  14. R

Thanks for the info and advice. I had not heard of Sil-pads so that is helpful and I will look those up. I was nervous about touching any of the transistors. Since is working well I will stay away from them, recap and see how it sounds.
  15. R

Like ohgoshjosh I am a short time lurker first time poster. I have started the process of recapping my brothers SX3700 which has been a constant companion to him in his garage; he loves it and wants it restored. My experience is with old radios and point to point wiring although I have had some...
Back
Top Bottom