Search results

1. Pavioni

B & K Receiver opinions?

If I were looking to assemble a high end, state of the art home theater system that was made in the USA, B&K would be at the top of my short list. Superb sound, great engineering, bullet proof construction (hey, sound familiar?:))
  2. Pavioni

Ortofon Stylus & Home-Made Cleaning Solutions??

I've used alcohol based stylus cleaners for over 30 years with never a problem. I use them because they work the best for removing any debris, grunge or film from the stylus and they leave nothing behind. See belows blurb from Disc Doctor products: "Stereophile, November 2001, Vol.23...
  3. Pavioni

Mission 7XX series

I've accumulated 3 pairs (732, 70 MkII, M50) and like them all. The 732's are perfect as near fields at my computer, among the very few speakers that allow me hours of CD listening without getting a digital hangover. The diminutive M50's easily bested and replaced the Minimus 7's in my office...
  4. Pavioni

B&K Audio ST-140 MONOBLOCKS??? or modded?

B&K did offer the ST-140m as monoblock matched pairs many years back, 150wpc each if memory serves. Those pictured have the Sonata series styling of the late 80's/early 90's. Try calling B&K, there are a few old timers still there who might offer more imfo.
  5. Pavioni

Polk R50 opinions please

Had the R30, R20, and still have the R15's from that line, all used in a 5.1 rig. ehhh, not terrible but not great. A better tweeter than that 3/4" would have opened up the high end, but would have added to the cost, of course. Any of the older Boston Acoustic T series will offer superior...
  6. Pavioni

TT belts...sonic improvement?

just the cost we bear for using the superior drive method.....:)
  7. Pavioni

HK T60 tracking gauge................

Download any Baerwald protractor for the HK turntables.
  8. Pavioni

TT belts...sonic improvement?

The rule of thumb is always go with the OEM belt when possible, there can be more to the correct belt than just its length. Buying your turntable's drive belt by price alone is like buying your cars new tires by price alone......
  9. Pavioni

Still have sibilance...what am I doing wrong?

hellooooo........no sibilance.
  10. Pavioni

Upgrade from a Forte Model 5 Amp

At your price range, there's a B&K EX442 Sonata over on the 'gon. More of a lateral move than a step up but very powerful. Personally, I'm lusting after the Van Alstine 440EX amp on there but times being what they are.....
  11. Pavioni

Still have sibilance...what am I doing wrong?

Ditto. When I first set up an SL-Q2 (similar arm to the 1200) with a broken in AT 440MLa, I used the white jig. After some listening, I downloaded the Technic's Baerwald Arc Protractor from Vinyl Engine and re-aligned. I didn't have sibilance problems with the white jig set up, but the...
  12. Pavioni

A system for the great outdoors.

White man build big fire, sit way back Indian build small fire, sit close. Same effect. Tivoli PAL, my camping companion.
  13. Pavioni

Any modern FM tuners as good as Vintage ones?

No argument about the importance of a good antenna, but its not just about the antenna anymore than its just about the cartridge on the turntable or the brand of tape used in the deck.Given the same signal, some tuners simply sound much better than others. The Sony is a great DXer, but its sound...
  14. Pavioni

dust cover sounds

Then the LP itself becomes the big microphone which picks up the airborne vibrations we call sound. Experiment with removing the dustcover, but don't be surprised if you find yourself looking into different platter mats. And platter damping materials. Or just lowering the volume. This is why...
  15. Pavioni

That Bright Gray Area in Stereoland....

I was in the biz from 1973-1984. Some sales, mostly purchasing for several electronics distributors and old fashioned hifi shops. Lots of trade shows, lots of manufacturer reps dropping off samples, lots of after hours drinking and bs sessions in the shops cranking the latest and greatest gear...
  16. Pavioni

Linn Basik TT- First Impressions

Thanks Tentoze - I also have a stock T60 which I feel is very very good. But, as you said there are so many turntables out there and so little time. The question is - mod the HK with outboard power supply and new tonearm or move on to a Linn......decisions, decisions.
  17. Pavioni

Pairing Speakers with Monster Amps

Botched - for a more direct answer, see my signature: 1.I run a pair of Advent Legacy II, the first cousin of your Heritages, with a 200wpc/ 70 amp current mosfet B&K amp. Is it overpowering? No. Do I ever wish I had more power? Yes, when I've got an LP or CD with wide dynamic range playing...
  18. Pavioni

Need help finding a very small PA for classroom

I put on a lot of educational classes (40-100 people) at tradeshows in hotels and breakout rooms in convention centers. The cost of renting small PA systems in these venues is ridiculous, so I bought 8 of these units to ship around the country and have never had a complaint in 3 years of heavy...
  19. Pavioni

NAD 2xxx "Power Envelope" Amp Cautionary Tale or just a Whitewash?

I used to have an NAD 7175PE receiver hooked to my Boston A70's. I can't imagine any NAD amp being driven into clipping when hooked up to A70's - the speakers themselves will distort massively before the amp clips.
  20. Pavioni

In search of a new cartridge

The AT150 is a great cartridge - but its not "the Shure sound" Its too bright for my tastes/system. The Ortofon 540 has warmer mids and a bit less forward high end while having the openess and dynamics of the Shure.
  21. Pavioni

In search of a new cartridge

Kinda been overlooked what with all the buzz about the 2M series, but still the ONLY real competition to the V15-V sound for under $300. http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ORSER540
  22. Pavioni

Yamaha T-460 Tuner - any info?

The specs are average for a stand-alone tuner by Yamaha, which is to say that its a better tuner than most receivers have but not high end. It sure is pretty, in a minimalist way.
  23. Pavioni

Linn Basik TT- First Impressions

Tentoze - now that you've had some time with the Basik/Akito , what are your thoughts on this rig vs the HK T-60?
  24. Pavioni

Poor mans SL1200 vs poor mans Linn

I snagged a Technics SL-Q2 offa CL today ($55) for the sole purpose of head to head competition against my Harman Kardon T-60. ($185,ebay). Since I've not owned a direct drive since 1984, I thought it would be interesting to compare a mid-quality DD vs a similar vintage mid quality suspended...
  25. Pavioni

Yamaha T-460 Tuner - any info?

T-460 was the bottom of Yamaha's line in 1981, only in production for a year so its gonna be rare. Post a pic and let us know how it sounds.
Back
Top Bottom