Search results

1. S

"Should I buy a DAC?" Unsolicited advice:

This may not be the correct thread but I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have solid components and a DAC I like but am seeing small to large chunks of music missing from my files which are fine (they play without issue on my DX-1A) I think the problem is related to the PC and Mac I'm using which...
  2. S

Home Digital Audio Player

I looked at the Pi and I like it. Forgot to mention I do have a DAC (Modi) which I like quite a lot and think it sounds better than any other DAC I've heard. Cheap can definitely be as good (or better) than spendy. Forgive my ignorance... What is a HAT?
  3. S

Home Digital Audio Player

I've been searching for a DAP for home use and have not fond anything that fits what I'm looking for. I want something to replace my PC that will play high res files. My Onkyo DP-X1 does have a line out but isn't designed to drive a preamp or amp. The manual warns that running it into a high...
  4. S

PC Based test equipment

I was able to get the audiocheck files to work. I made a small 5$ donation and after a few tries I do have single tone 192 rate files at the frequencies and duration I wanted. I was getting 3 second chirps at first but after deleting the default "duration" value and replacing it with new numbers...
  5. S

PC Based test equipment

I'm getting distortion on one channel in my digital player (Onkyo DPX-1) and am looking for something to test the DACs. What I'd like are single tones in FLAC 192/24 or at least 44/16.... I've seen some "free" downloads but I don't mind paying for a reputable FLAC or ALAC file I simply haven't...
  6. S

Explain a bypass cap?

All throughput caps are Jantzen Superior Z caps. The parallel caps in the woofer legs are Jantzen "Crosscaps". I had used an oscilloscope to verify the crossover performance before I started and while I did not do the math believe it was performing in-tolerance. (I have worked in a calibration...
  7. S

Explain a bypass cap?

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge and opinions. I just finished installing all the new caps and I am very impressed with the improvement. I'd have to say it's a vast improvement. Spending for these caps was well worth the expense. Thanks again.
  8. S

Explain a bypass cap?

These are the Electrovoice Sentry IIIs. Here's the crossover.
  9. S

Explain a bypass cap?

Thanks, I'll save those parts sources. I probably don't understand the terminology correctly. What I need are two 30uf caps for the bass leg of each crossover or 4 each. If I go with Jentzen Superior Z caps for this as I have in the mid/high legs I'd need 4ea per speaker which puts the cost at...
  10. S

Explain a bypass cap?

Good point. I trust the existing design and will keep it.
  11. S

Explain a bypass cap?

"had to go back to the original design" I have been looking for bypass caps to tweak an already good woofer crossover and never having done this, was inclined to get "the best" I could afford. As I look I'll bear in mind I may be going back to the original caps.... which don't have a brand...
  12. S

Sub crossover question

I'm tinkering with the crossover on my EV Sentries and have a question about bypass caps for the woofer (28 - 600Hz 12db/octave) They have two 30uf caps on that leg of the crossover. I'm new to altering crossovers. I bought Jantzen Superior Z-Caps in the mid leg and I'm wondering what you...
  13. S

Bi-amping open baffles

I am very interested to hear what is advised here as well. I have a small set of beautiful bookshelf speakers that I want very much to be a part of my system and I need to restrict the frequency response to them so they can shine where they perform best and let the main speakers handle the rest...
Back
Top Bottom