Search results

1. twc5964

Who's had Dac's under 500$ and over 1000$

I fall into the under 500 dollar category definitely.I bought a Pro-ject dac box e for a whopping 89 dollars plus shipping.It sounds fanastic for my home stereo along with a Audioquest Cinnamon digital cable.
  2. twc5964

Preamp issue: Loud popping on power on/off of Adcom GFP-555

I have the same preamp and am using it right now.Sorry to hear this.When you change out the relay I would recommend changing out all the terrible Jamicon electrolytics with better newer caps.It will help with better sound from that 28 year old preamp.I used Panasonic fc,Elna Silmic on the main...
  3. twc5964

Klipsch sound?

Many years ago I bought 2 pairs of small Klipsch 1.5's.They were not pleasant sounding at all.Once I replaced the original capacitors with Solens and the resistors with Mills on the crossover networks I was absolutely blown away with their "new" sound.Really made a difference ! Cleaned up...
  4. twc5964

Luxman VS Luxman

I agree...I have nice old Yamaha,Adcom,NAD,Onkyo,however,as much as I love the Yamaha equipment the Luxman receivers still sound much better.
  5. twc5964

What's your latest audio purchase?

Just won a Luxman r 114 on the you know where site.Gonna use it as a backup to my original r114.Got it for 56 bucks.Will give it a recap all the way around once it arrives.I just cant survive not having some Luxman for music nirvana.
  6. twc5964

Buying an Onkyo Integra P-308

I have the p 304 also and was never fond of the sound and thats after a full bore recap with good capacitors.Have not tried replacing the op amps though.
  7. twc5964

Luxman R115 making MUSIC

Glad your enjoying it. I have the r114.Bought it new back in 1987-88 . I've had plenty of other nice separate equipment that does sound very good.But,none of it can compare to my little Luxman receiver.I finally broke down and pretty much replaced over 95% of the electrolytics in it and that...
  8. twc5964

How do i improve the AX596

Just a thought....find the tone control board and re-cap the electrolytics with Elna Silmics or Nichicon Muse KZ series . I did that when I had an ax 592 along with replacing the caps in the preamp section of that integrated amp and it certainly made a difference even though that model was from...
  9. twc5964

Luxman R-113

Yikes...whenever it's time to recap that one I feel bad for you,however,it will be well worth the effort.I decided it was long over due for my r114 after 26 years.Still,after all this time that receiver just amazes me with it's wonderful sound quality.Wish I had an r 115 .
  10. twc5964

Luxman R-113

I have not used my r 114 in years as a stand alone pre but when I did it sounded very good.I friggin love the Luxman sound.I decided to pull it out and start changing out a bunch of the smaller caps from .1uf to 1000uf etc... especially,on the tone control board. It sounds even more beautiful...
  11. twc5964

Re-capping with Nichicon Muse caps?

I use KZ Muse all the time. I like them a lot.
  12. twc5964

The Yamaha A-7xx series

I ordered four 10,000uf Panasonic T-UP's for the main power caps to keep the cost down.They were around $10-$11.00 each. All other caps were a combo of of Nichicon KZ Muse,several Elna Silmic's,and Panasonic fc or fm. Very easy to do on this amp and I got it done in less than 2 hours.Sorry, but...
  13. twc5964

The Yamaha A-7xx series

I have the ax 700.I completely re-capped all the electrolytics and absolutely love it.Beautiful sounding integrated amp to my ears.
  14. twc5964

KG 1.5"s ?

I bought two pairs of the 1.5's back in 1996.I liked them a lot.Around 2000 I changed out the caps,resistors,and wires.Man,it most certainly made the difference for the better.I wish I still had them !
  15. twc5964

nad c270 amp=strange

Curious if someone can explain to me why my amp runs much cooler to the touch now after complete cap change ? I changed out the smaller caps about 5 years ago after finding some bulging .Set bias etc,,, per service manual .The amp still ran quite hot. I changed out the main power supply caps...
  16. twc5964

What was the last movie you watched?

Mama.Entertaining enough to watch once for $1.64 from the blu ray machine at the grocery store.
  17. twc5964

Yamaha AX-900 experiences?

Man I love my ax-700 . Change out those 27+ year old caps.Very easy to do on these amps.
  18. twc5964

My new favorite receiver

I bought one back in the late 80's and used it up until 2000 when it lost one channel .I miss it terribly.I wound up buying a 120 watt NAD amp,Adcom amps,etc... to replace it.the NAD and Adcoms may have been more powerful but did not measure up to the little Luxman sound wise. I've got it...
  19. twc5964

Modifying Aragon 4004 MKII power supply capacitors

I've gone as high as 5000uf over the original capacitance before on a Yamaha amp.Honestly,I was skittish to do that till I got confirmation from someone who owned the exact amp.It may work just fine for you,however,it can turn the other way for the worse on your power supply.Just be sure sure...
  20. twc5964

Modifying Aragon 4004 MKII power supply capacitors

I would not do that if I was you.It may cause to much inrush current. Can you not locate a pair of 20,000uf caps to fit ? Generally,it's safe to go a little higher but going up 8000uf per cap may not be a good idea unless someone more familiar with this amp can chime in.Better to be safe than...
  21. twc5964

TV shows that cancelled to soon...

Millenium,I really miss that show.Always had that eerie overtone per episode that I loved.
  22. twc5964

Why are there so many snobs on audio websites

It's been around 11-12 years since I heard one of those $100,000 dollar systems.I was not impressed at all.Guess I'll stick to my 13 to 28 year old midfi equipment and still happy as heck with it.
  23. twc5964

Newly rebuilt Amp breakin period?

The problem could also be the guy who worked on the amp recapped it with really bottom of the barrell capacitors-especially in the signal path.
  24. twc5964

Amish Mafia

I was asking that question back in 2000 .Still the same.
  25. twc5964

What to do about NAD integrated amp?

Sorry to hear this.My days of purchasing NAD are over with.I still have a c-270 amp I use since 2000 but that thing has been high maintenance to keep it working.Over heating, cheap caps,and honking transformer has been the culprit.I've completely re-capped it,set dc offset etc... Had a 2001 cd...
Back
Top Bottom