Search results

1. teknokid

What to do with 2 x Quad 405-2's that are bridged?

Awesome response Blue Shadow, thanks! The 405 I repaired last year sounded really good, I would hate to mess with the sound quality, but you're right, my hearing couldn't tell anyway (maybe nobody else either). According to the Quad documentation, the bridge modification turns this amp into a...
  2. teknokid

Thanks RVT1K! After a ton of reading on bi-amping, I've seen lots of recommendations for active crossovers and the removal of passive crossovers from speakers. Though I'm not against either, it's not for me at this time. I currently own a Parasound HCA1200ii amp that is designed to be bridged...
  3. teknokid

I recently acquired a nice little system off a friend who has owned since new - 1 x Quad 44 pre-amp, 2 x 405-2 amps and Vandersteen model 3's. The 405-2's have been internally modified to operate as bridged mono blocks. While I get why more power may have been desired, I'm scratching my head on...
  4. teknokid

What are you listening to right now the second you see this post

Lee Morgan - I Remember Clifford
  5. teknokid

500M160 Marking on a capacitor

Thanks Hyperion! 500pF makes sense. There are several film capacitors in here marked .1 160, which threw me off when I saw 500 160. I've already identified which parts are giving me grief - a sticky relay and a faulty electrolytic cap in one channel. While looking into ordering those parts (and...
  6. teknokid

500M160 Marking on a capacitor

Hi folks, I've spent the better part of the afternoon searching for an answer online, perhaps someone can assist. I thought this was 500uF, +/- 20% at 160V, but I can't seem to find that value (or close to it) in a Polypropylene Film with any supplier. I must be reading the markings wrong - does...
  7. teknokid

Parasound HCA 1200 : bad/dirty relay ?

No luck from Parasound: "I'm sorry but we stopped servicing the HCA-1200 many years ago. I don't have a replacement to recommend." I located some of these relays used and surplus (NOS) from some websites that I don't normally shop at or want to give my CC info to. Prices were not really worth...
  8. teknokid

Parasound HCA 1200 : bad/dirty relay ?

I'm experiencing a similar problem with the same amp. It appears that someone was under the hood at some point in time and replaced 1 of the 2 relays as well as some outputs on one channel - not the channel I'm having problems with either. I'm currently trying to source the relays to no avail...
  9. teknokid

Which Pioneer amp to power PSB Stratus Gold?

Hi friends! Apologies for the novel... I'm a bit of a Pioneer fanboy and need some advice on an amp. A while ago I purchased some PSB Stratus Gold speakers for cheap. I LOVE them, as does anyone else that's heard them. They seem to suit my needs for now but they are power hungry and 4 ohm. I was...
  10. teknokid

SA 9500 Revival

Dang, never did the power switch on mine. I now have another reason to put mine on the bench again.:) On another note, my switch assembly board (AWS-082-0) is slightly different than the other boards. I found mine to be quite sensitive to heat and pulled a trace. Be careful working on this board!
  11. teknokid

SA-9500 Power supply

Oh. My. God. It works! I'm embarrassed to report that I mixed up the pins on Q3. While searching for a suitable temporary replacement from my inventory, I opened the datasheet for KSC2383YTA and realized my mistake right away. This explains why the transistor would test good when pulled but act...
  12. teknokid

SA 9500 Revival

Great advice Shikaka. I currently have my 9500 sitting vertical with hockey pucks holding up the heat sink and a bungee cord preventing this beast from tipping over. It is far more stable than it looks and allows access to both sides of the board.
  13. teknokid

SA-9500 Power supply

Thanks for the advice Mark. I replaced Q1 with MJE15032G; I had a spare on hand and installed another with no result. Q3 is a KSC2383YTA and I don't have anything else to replace it with; but I think you're onto something. Q3 = E: 13.1V, C:13.8V, B:13.1V Q1 = E:13.2V, C:69.2V, B: 13.9V As far...
  14. teknokid

SA-9500 Power supply

HI guys, I'm in the middle of a restoration on my 9500 and I think I broke something. I'm taking a break from the bench and thought I'd run my process past some experts to see if any of you have encountered what I'm up against... I wasn't paying attention and mixed up the pinout on a couple...
  15. teknokid

Add IEC plug to Pioneer integrated amp

So far no hum. I never really thought about resale value, but it's a great point. Mind you, something special would need to come along for me to part with my Pioneer gear.
  16. teknokid

Current plug is not polarized and the wire itself appears to be similar to lamp cord. I noticed that the 220V version of the 9500 has an IEC, so hopefully the SM will provide details on wiring up the 3 prong connector. I agree with you that there would likely be no sonic improvement on the cable...
  17. teknokid

Hi folks, I'm restoring my Pioneer SA-9500 and I am thinking about replacing the power cord with an IEC plug. I'm not sure if there would be any sonic benefits of the new cable (at least I'm not sure my ears would hear an improvement), but that's not what I'm shooting for. I'm doing this mostly...
  18. teknokid

Vintage Pioneer Amps/Receivers

Well, after some time with the Pioneer 9500, I must say I'm impressed. The only issue is that this amp is happier when it's working. Which means, I have to be aware of what time of night I'm playing it. I try to be a good neighbor...
  19. teknokid

Managed to negotiate the 9500 down to$200. Grabbed a pic before I fired it up, now it's time for a listen.
  20. teknokid

There is an SX-1080 in my area for $1500. Out of my price range for now. If I get crazy stupid into this hobby a 1280 could happen.
  21. teknokid

Hi all, Long time lurker, first time poster... I'm looking for a new integrated amp/receiver from Pioneer to match with my TT. I've been reading some reviews and searching on here and I think I have a good grasp on what I'd like. There are a few in my area and I'm looking for thoughts/opinions...
Back
Top Bottom