Search results

1. R

Magnavox 8608 Rebuild nearly complete

I'm sure it posted somewhere, but I haven't had any luck finding it. Which pins need to be shorted to bypass the umbilical?
  2. R

Heathkit AS-101: Thrift Store Score!

So, I put my social distancing to good use and got them bi-amped!!! I ended up sticking with the Marantz 2230 for the horns and using an Adcom GFA545-II for the woofers. Even with the difference in power between the two amps, I had to use the attenuators on the AS-101's to pull the horns down...
  3. R

It's like you know me. I've already started hunting for a new matched pair of subs ..... :beerchug:
  4. R

TL;DR: PA2 = Wow! So, this week I made my own cables to hook up the DriveRack PA2. I used following parts: Neutrik NC3FX-1 Neutrik NC3MX-1 Neutrik Rean NYS352G RCA Plug Connector Gold Belden Brilliance 1192A 24 AWG 4C Star Quad and followed this guide...
  5. R

After a few beer this weekend, and reading the article below, I pulled the trigger on a DriveRack PA2 loudspeaker management system with setup mic (they can be had for a song on the bay). https://www.audiophilenirvana.com/audiophile-equipment-reviews/altec-lansing-valencia-improving-classic/...
  6. R

ISO Tube Mono Block Kit Ideas for Realstic Super Tweeters

I have a pair of realistic super tweeters that I use with a pair of Heathkit AS-101 speakers. I was thinking that it would fun to build some small tube mono block kits to power the super tweeters (and it would look cool). From what I could find online the tweeters are 65+ DB/1w/1m. I couldn't...
  7. R

Speakers: "Manufactured For Sound Studios" Newark, Delaware

After doing some searching (with the new info from psylophile) I found a post on here with the same speakers. They were labeled "Maximus 24" on the back. Link below for posterity. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/newbie-buys-maximus-speakers-at-gw-any-info.281807/page-2
  8. R

Speakers: "Manufactured For Sound Studios" Newark, Delaware

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing your research!
  9. R

Well, I got the second speaker finished over the weekend and in the living room. I'm really enjoying them. And the WAF turned out to be higher than expected.
  10. R

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear a first hand experience with Altec and a MiniDSP. I'm actually more excited about bi-amping with a DSP now that I know I like the speakers. Right now trying to figure out a good power amp to pair with my 2230 to drive the woofers (that and finish the...
  11. R

Marantz 2230 Power Amp Recomendation (Bi-Amp Project)

I'm thinking about bi-amping a pair of Heathkit AS-101 speakers. I've really enjoyed listening to them with my 2230. What I envision is using the integrated power amplifier to drive the horns and using the external power amp for the woofers. What would you recommend for a power amp? I'd like...
  12. R

I got one done. I finally settled on a poly/stuffing combination that I like. I think the area around the horn turned out nice too. Right now I'm running it mono with my Marantz. The 2230 pairs really nice with this speaker. I can't wait for stereo!
  13. R

I've been playing around with filling these cabs with poly fill. I'm using dayton imm-6 to take measurements and the AudioTool app on my phone to generate pink noise and measure. The same amp is used for each test with the amplitude, treble, and bass settings the same (but in some I have the...
  14. R

That does bring up a question. So Heathkit states that you can drive these with as little as 10w. But, what would be a reasonable wattage for a tube amp for these? I see a lot of low power vintage stuff on the bay that isn't too prohibitively expensive.
  15. R

Did a quick L/R comparison and the different in sound quality is palpable! This is definitely the biggest difference in sound that I've noticed with a recap. The highs, and lows, of the original speaker sound muted and lifeless when compared to the modified one. I can't wait to get these guys...
  16. R

There is a big difference in the numbers, I'm curious to see how it translates to sound. The old caps are the most out of spec caps that I've ever replaced.
  17. R

New crossover caps are in. I'm looking forward to doing a side by side comparison with the stock speaker.
  18. R

I got one cabinet done :beatnik:
  19. R

I'm planning on using some Realistic super tweeters with these speakers. I was thinking about jumping connections from the other side of the l-pad back to the two extra speaker terminals (tapping into the signal between the L-pad and the high frequency drivers). This way, the L-pad will...
  20. R

It came out without damaging the grill cloth. The motorboard is not glued in, but there are 4 screws at the top that are obscured by the board that the horn mounts to. I ended up drilling small holes, so I could stick a screw driver through it. Other than that, dissembling these cabs was a...
  21. R

Look at what was hidden under that ugly stain!
  22. R

Did anyone else find a name scribed on their horns? I'm wondering if it was something done in the factory, or by the guy that bought the kit.
  23. R

My guess is that they installed the whole horn upside down. It's symmetric and can be mounted either way.
  24. R

Power Rating: Adcom GFA-545II Vs. Yamaha CR-1000

So, I'm trying to figure out (on paper) which of these amps is more powerful. In their manuals, the power is classified in different ways. Is it possible to quantify the different in power output between these two amps from the documentation alone? Adcom: Yamaha:
Back
Top Bottom