Search results

1. N

Klipsch heresy, recommendation for which version, and fair price on the used market

Hi all, I have been trying to make sense of the different iterations of the heresy models. I have some very old and beat up la scalas which I like and a pair of decent condition KLF 30's. I am curious if a pair of heresys would be a good choice to flesh out the lineup of klipsch choices I...
  2. N

Yamaha sound CR 620, 820, 1020 what would be the differences with sensitive speakers

I picked up each of these some years ago for a song. Turned out it was a very bad song, none of them worked, and one local fellow said they all had big problems and he would take them off my hands as a favor to me. I didn't think so. He was the idiot, at that time I was not. If I had the...
  3. N

Kenwood L-07 MkII amps and L-07CMkII, repair and restoration

I am the lucky owner of these items. I have had them sitting in storage for a few years. They were little used before being stored away by the orignal owner in the late 1990's. They are original and have the black flag caps and the L-07C MKii (from someone else )supposedly has had some work...
  4. N

Which pre amp to restore

Sadly several years ago I realized my cognitive skills and hand tremor and shitty eyes basically eliminated me from restoring a tube pre amp. I have a Citation I, an Eico HF 85 and a Lafayette KT-600. Which one woudl be the one to restore if records ( LP's) are the main listening source...
  5. N

Vintage integrated amps as dual mono blocks-three choices

Years ago when times were more flush I picked up two Eico HF 20's, a pair of Heathkit AA-13's and a pair of HH Scott 99D's. I had hoped to create a pair of mono block amps, but never got around to it. I can't speak to their condition today and this would be a project for the future, but of the...
  6. N

Lack of printed user manuals with new cameras.

I am 70 and have difficulty reading the computer screen. I used to use the enclosed printed owners manuals to help me get started, but it seems, at least for Fuji (unless I am mistaken), that to save money camera companies want the user to print out a manual. I have used minoltas, nikon over...
  7. N

Advice re: Kenwood L-07 M MKII and L07c Mk-II

Finally got these all together under one roof. The history of the preamp wasn't know to the seller and I have no idea if it has ever been worked on. The MKII amps were bought new and then stored away in 1998. They were working at the time, and have never been worked on. My question is should...
  8. N

Life span of a new laser for the CD player

I couldn't find the answer so here goes. Say you have a 20 yr old deck and the laser is kaput. If you found a NOS laser manufactured 20 yrs ago but never used, would its life span start when you put the laser into. the player or because it has sat around for 20 yrs its working life span will be...
  9. N

Where to look on AK for repair/restore members

There are so many skilled and able enthusiasts that have repaired or restored gear for other Akers'. I wish there was a forum or some other way to have AKers' identify themselves as willing to work on gear and the kind of gear they would be willing to work on. If there already is a place on...
  10. N

Cd draw won't open

I hear whirring inside the player when I press the open button, but the draw does nothing. Is there a trick to opening the draw without damaging. it? Thanks. Norm
  11. N

Recommendation for good new/fairly new CD player

I have a Krell KPS 28c, I bought it used back in my good old days (at least my good old financial days ) and I am thinking of maybe selling it and maybe getting a good CD player. It would just be a dedicated CD player unless some one can convince I should get an sacd player. I am not going to...
  12. N

Making 2 heath kit AA-13's as identical as possible.

I suspect my ignorance is showing but here goes. I built my heath kit AA-13 back in '64, and still have it. I have read that that often times. when people recap a unit, they look to put in closer tolerance caps believing that will result in a better sound while others I have read disagree...
  13. N

Ignoring the FM on the MX 113, how good is the MX 113 as a pre amp

I have read alot lately (a wonderful diversion in these times) about hi fi gear and wondered about the mx 113. I understand that while the tuner is quite good how the FM output signal is handled in the 113 is not a great design. But simply as a preamp for CD, tape, phono, how does the MX 113...
  14. N

For sonic quality separates or the 4200 receiver

The separates are the C39 preamp, the M7106 a multichannel amp, and the tuner the MR 7083, Despite the multi channel possibitlies, this would only be for 2 channel listening, Ignoring the costs of restoring 3 units vs 1, which sonically would sound best. Again, I listening to records mostly...
  15. N

Which one to restore the MAC 1500 or the 4200

Which one restored would sound best. I know the 4200 is more powerful and the 1500 has a tube front end. I am 90% record listener and FM the rest. What do you think? Thanks. Norm
  16. N

Side panels on a Kenwood l07c MKii

Does anyone know if they had side panels as an option. I could have sworn I saw a picture of one on line that had them, but I can't find it anywhere, and maybe it was the l 07C or maybe I am just imagining things. Thanks. Norm
  17. N

Fair price for Mordaunt Short pageant 2 speakers and

an HK 430 receiver, unfortunately condition unknown at this time. Norm
  18. N

Audio Classics in NY for non Mcintosh gear

In the Mcintosh forum they get high marks from people that have used them for Mcintosh gear. Has anyone used them for non mcintosh gear? Happy with their service? I know that on their site they do have other gear for sale. Just curious. Thanks. Norm
  19. N

step up, or down transformer-are there differences in sound quality?

I understand how these work, So can a so-called better quality transformer make things sound better than a cheap and possibly less accurate transformer. I mean it seems that in all of audio there is the potential for changes in sound with different cables, outlets, etc.(I said differences not...
  20. N

Kenwood L07C fair price

It's hard to know fair market value. On the bay they seem to run in the 500+/- range. There was one that didn't work and was sold for 225 + shipping. Any idea of realistic price for a working pre amp? Thanks. N
  21. N

Prices on vintage gear

Any thoughts on how or if the current mania about the virus will affect pricing on vintage gear. There is so much fear out there it's hard to figure out a proper time of when to purchase something. Thanks in advance. Norm
  22. N

Fair price for Kenwood L-07 mono blocks and the L-07 pre amp

Been doing too much reading and was wondering about this pair of amps and the matching pre amp. As much as I can gather, when properly working these are great amps and the pre amp is no slouch as well. Any idea of fair market value for these pieces? Thanks. Norm
  23. N

Trickle down effect in HI FI

After looking at Fremer's set up one of my reactions was that it better sound good with the incredible high cost of much of the gear. I am sure he gets a professional discount and his accountant probably writes it off over several years. But, in looking at that very high end gear, is there a...
  24. N

Help with selling stuff general questions

I have a bunch of stuff that I have accumulated over the years. While I have given away a lot, I would like to sell items I still have, but I live in an isolated location, my wife is quite ill and I have basically no time to devote to this since I still work part time etc. If I could find a...
  25. N

Is this a good idea for a fair trade

A pair of pioneer HPM -100 speakers for a pair of AR3 or AR3A. I have the HPM's the cabs are in excellent condition with the grills having only a few lose threads. It's stock and I just never warmed up to it. Just a bit on the etched bright side of things. Also it is too freaking heavy to lift...
Back
Top Bottom