Search results

1. T

What vintage speakers are you using with your Marantz receiver?

A few months back I picked up a set of refurbished Ohm Model L's. I cannot believe how well they pair with my 2285B and they sound just as good as any modern speaker I've had on that receiver...and I've had some somewhat expensive ones paired with it. The synergy is incredible. I've had more...
  2. T

Demand for Reproduction Lamp housings?

Should be a sticky. That needs posted as does the simpler 3-panel one (the nomenclature escapes me at the moment) and the ones for the smaller chassis receivers/amps (ex: 2216B) and the larger chassis versions (like the 2330B).
  3. T

Demand for Reproduction Lamp housings?

Why not just upload the design to thingiverse and let folks with a 3D printer download and print as needed? I'd love to see more of an "open source" community when it comes to vintage receivers but people just don't seem to want to do that. I haven't even seen the measurements posted on the...
  4. T

Car Speakers

Then I'm not sure what to suggest. Any speaker enclosure will look janky in a 70s Porsche. 70's Camaro, sure...but Porsche guys just weren't doing that. I rarely turn on the radio in mine. The n/a flat 6 sitting behind me is enough of a sound to keep me occupied and any "song" is not going to...
  5. T

Car Speakers

It's a classic porsche, not a 70's Mustang II. Do it right and have the speakers installed in the doors. I would get a few more quotes as $1200 is rather steep.
  6. T

Car Speakers

Seems like a 911 forum would be a better place to post this. But I still see a lot of NOS Blaupunkt speakers on ebay (I was searching the other day for a project of my own) and that would likely be my first choice in audio for that car. Please don't put Minimus 7's in a Porsche, lol. If you...
  7. T

ANDREW JONES (MoFi) Sourcepoint 10

Par-for-the-course, but IMO they (888's) will likely sell better than the original sourcepoints. I was complaining several pages back and this speaker literally addresses all my concerns with the original sourcepoints. It has separate woofers for bass reproduction (the concentric only does...
  8. T

Realistic Minimus 7w (40-2039A) Tweeter Issue?

Yeah, it was the tweeter that was bad. There were zero "SD-51" tweeters on ebay but there were a set of rough looking (but complete) 7W's for $45 shipped. Both tweeters and woofers looked good and the cabs look salvageable so instead of waiting, I pulled the trigger on those. Tweeters had...
  9. T

Realistic Minimus 7w (40-2039A) Tweeter Issue?

Picked up a set of Minimus 7W 40-2039A's recently that a family member was going to send to an electronics recycler...had no idea they had them but fortunately I was able to save them. Anyhow, they are in excellent condition and I now understand why there's a following for them. After a bit of...
  10. T

Enter the Giant Slayer - Andrew Jones Pioneer Speakers

Now THAT'S a wall of text!!! Still enjoying my BS-41's and 22's as well.
  11. T

The problem with a lot of speakers being made today is that low-end is being sacrificed because companies want to sell you a subwoofer. Plus, they think people want small speaker cabinets. With the SourcePoint we kinda get the worst of both worlds...not a ton of bass and a huge cabinet. A...
  12. T

There's been enough "reviewers" mention the lack of bass below 50Hz. I doubt all of them are fabricating this and even the frequency charts back this up. There are plenty of speakers on the market that display these qualities... ...that are cheaper and come in a smaller package. If I'm...
  13. T

My issue is that most reviewers still recommend a subwoofer with either the 8" or 10" version. That's a hard no for me. I'm not spending that much money on such a large speaker just to need to run a subwoofer because the massive speaker in the massive cabinet can't hit as low as it should...
  14. T

Just got a new-to-me receiver! Now, what speakers? 2270 content

Not necessarily, especially with speakers. Very few places left to go demo them locally. It's an in-home experience now. A lot of folks order 2 or 3 pairs and then return the ones they didn't like. It's very common and I've even done it. I'm not sure you could get that out of a...
  15. T

I wouldn't buy anything from Accessories 4 less. Return policy is stupidly ridiculous. Only buy from them if you know 100% you're keeping the item and want to save a buck or two. Spend a few more bucks and buy from Crutchfield as they have *the best* return policy, hands down. MusicDirect is...
  16. T

You can get some decent new speakers for $400. These are even cheaper ($299 now) and pair great with vintage receivers due to looks and sound signature (nice warm tone with a slight bump in the bass region). Not over-emphasized mids and highs like some manufacturers like to do...
  17. T

Ideas for garage speakers

Years ago and yes, all that was accurate. The new bluetooth standards are certainly much better and capable of keeping up with Spotify and Pandora max bitrate. Still not lossless bitrates, however. FWIW, Android has come a long way too. For instance, at $79/piece these little speakers would...
  18. T

I believe bluetooth 5.3 will be able to handle the full Spotify "high quality" bandwidth so therefore a Chromecast Audio with Spotify should be the same "quality" as bluetooth 5.3 running Spotify. Now, if streaming from a music server using high bitrate files (CD quality or better) then...
  19. T

When I had an unconditioned garage I put my receiver and CD player inside the house (had a closet next to the garage) and ran the speaker wires out through the ceiling into the garage and mounted some speakers in the garage ceiling. If I had to do over again now I'd just buy two decent...
  20. T

Why does everyone hate Fisher speakers

Reminds me of the Fisher mini-rack system my parents bought for me in the mid 80's. Even as a youth I knew it was kinda junky. They didn't know any better and I blame the salesman at the store. Fortunately, as soon as I got a job a few years later I purchased much nicer separates and the...
  21. T

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

I almost listed these instead. I own the B5's as well and honestly they are a more balanced speaker with about 90% of the bass of the B6. The B6's are a more "fun" speaker but the B5's are the more "audiophile" choice. I'm not letting either set go. I still think Elac should essentially...
  22. T

Very Rare DCM speaker

Likely for Home Theater use (aka hook to your TV or VCR) as several manufacturers made 2-channel powered speakers for a brief period of time in the mid/late 80's before the "surround sound" 4 and 5 channel receivers started to catch on. If the price is right I'd pick them up and then hook a...
  23. T

Smaller sub sounds better?

Passive radiator subs do put out a ton of bass. But I've yet to hear one that puts out what I'd consider "musical" bass. HT and 2-channel music are usually two different subwoofer disciplines. I don't need a bass guitar to rattle the floors and that's what most passive radiator subs do...
  24. T

Smaller sub sounds better?

As one poster said, that series of Klipsch sub you have (KSW-12/KSW-10) isn't what I'd call an "audiophile" sub. More of a home theater sub designed for "boom and rumble" during movies. So don't base size/sound comparisons on that particular example. If you want a good musical sub spend the...
  25. T

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

Probably my Elac Debut B6's (original version). Just a phenomenal speaker for 2-channel music and they pair really well with vintage amps too. We won't likely see another speaker like them anytime soon because companies are too afraid to release anything that doesn't measure flat anymore due...
Back
Top Bottom