Search results

1. T

Realistic Minimus 7w (40-2039A) Tweeter Issue?

Picked up a set of Minimus 7W 40-2039A's recently that a family member was going to send to an electronics recycler...had no idea they had them but fortunately I was able to save them. Anyhow, they are in excellent condition and I now understand why there's a following for them. After a bit of...
  2. T

Tiny 8v bulbs in Pioneer TX-610

Restoring a Pioneer TX-610 as I'm completing the matching stack (tuner, cassette and amp). The larger 8v bulb for the dial face was simple enough, but there are two tiny blue 8v lights on the tuner dial (carriage?) itself. Are there any led options for this? I saw some marantz bi-pin leds...
  3. T

"L" shaped rubber foot on Technics SA-404

Working on a Technics SA -404. The rubber feet (of which 3 out of the 4 are broken) attach directly to the inside bottom of the faux wood sides. I'm sure I could fabricate something but for now I'd just like to find a foot like this that has a side attachment/in an 'L' shape. Anyone know of...
  4. T

Kenwood KR-710 "Restomod"

I picked up a Kenwood KR-710 for basically next to nothing. In overall good shape and doesn't seem to have a lot of hours or wear on it. I know these aren't the most sought-after since they are only like 28WPC, but it's pretty decent sounding. It doesn't sound quite as good as something like...
  5. T

Why are some vintage collectors/sellers absolutely unhinged?

I've had a few experiences over the past year that just leave me scratching my head. Folks will post up vintage "collections" for sale (craigslist, facebook, etc.) Sometimes they list their specific receivers, sometimes they don't (just a few pics and a brand or two). Mostly, prices are not...
  6. T

DCM TimePieces

Picked up a pair of very nice DCM TimePieces the other day. I was a bit skeptical as to how they would sound (given their age), but upon powering them up I was very impressed with what I heard. Very nice soundstage/imaging and the bass wasn't horrible (I left the loudness on, which helped)...
  7. T

Deals are still out there (and small wattage appreciation)...

I have a buddy that keeps his eye open for vintage receivers and such for me. He was doing some some work for a lady and she mentioned that she was wanting to get rid of some stuff. Long story short, I ended up with an original owner and very seldom used 2216B (all the original bulbs are still...
  8. T

Technics Receiver LED Options (Wanted)

I picked up a NOS Technics SA-120 to use as an amp for my computer because it had that "80's" look to it that kinda goes with the rest of my stuff in the room. Anyhow, after getting it up an running, the lamp in it started to become a bit intermittent. Instead of replacing it with another...
  9. T

Decent 1980's Solid State Receivers/Amps

I've gotten most of my wanted receivers from my favorite vintage era, the mid/late 70's. However, I happened to pick up a Technics SA-120 and matching era cassette player that was made in 84/85, and while it's definitely not the same quality as the 70's equivalent...it's really not horrible...
  10. T

Decided to Paint a WC-22 (repo)

I had a repo WC-22 that I just didn't quite like the finish on. Since it's a veneer I was somewhat limited as to how good I could sand and strip it, so I decided to do a few spray coats of satin black enamel with a couple of coats of matte clear enamel. I purposely left the grain open as I...
  11. T

Technics Receiver Detented Volume Control Question

I have an SA-600 that is all original. Sounds great, but one thing that's a bit annoying... This particular receiver has a detented volume control. Problem is, when listening at night when the kids are in bed, one up from "zero" is too quiet, but two up from "zero" is too loud. It's...
  12. T

"White Noise" problem with Technics SA-800

On my Technics SA-800, there's a small-ish amount of "white noise" or static noise that is audible when the volume is turned down or on quiet passages on songs. Actually, the noise is there all of the time but with loud music playing it cannot obviously be heard. It is not a "crackle" like...
  13. T

Painting or Re-covering woodgrain Vinyl on 70's Technics

I have a Technics SA-600 that I didn't pay much for, but cosmetically it cleaned up really well and doesn't appear to have been used all that much. It also sounds pretty great and I want to put it into my regular rotation. However, I wanted to do something different to it without "hurting" the...
  14. T

Marantz Imperal 6G Speakers

Went to pick up a vintage receiver and the guy had a set of Imperal 6's (6G's as I'd later find out). Didn't know a lot about them other than recalling that people liked them (really liked them as I later googled), so I offered $40 and he took it. All original, in decent shape. Although the...
  15. T

Late 70's Technics EQ Help/Question

I have a Technics SH-8010 EQ that I need some assistance with. I know it was their entry level product back then, but the SU-8011 amp that goes with it sounds much better than I'd have imagined so I wanted to get the EQ hooked up to play around with it a bit. So, the EQ powers on without...
  16. T

Writing on 22xxB Dial Windows

I own and have had several 22xxB (and 2330B) receivers pass through my hands and I've began to notice that the writing on the dial window isn't the same on the same models. For instance, my 2238B says "True Power Design". My 2285B only says "Dual Power Supply", as does my 2330B. My 2265B says...
  17. T

Toshiba SA-725...this is a nice receiver

Went to pick up an inexpensive Technics EQ that I needed to complete a bookshelf system that I was putting together and the seller also had a mint in box Toshiba SA-725 receiver. It's difficult to turn down since a nice vintage piece even though I wasn't into collecting Toshibas, so I bought...
  18. T

2226B vs 2238B

What are the differences between the 2226B and the 2238B (other than power specs)? Friend of mine wanted me to look for a lower powered Marantz for them and I've found both of these models within $50 of one another. Anyone have a preference between the two? Thanks.
  19. T

Technics SE-A70, recent pick up.

Tell me a bit about the Technics SE-A70. I was fortunate enough to get one for a really good price. It's all original, lights up, outputs sound, etc. I haven't put it through its paces yet as I'm on the fence about selling vs. fixing up. Probably leaning towards fixing up because those VU...
  20. T

Anyone make WC-122 Reproductions?

Obviously there's several makers of the WC-22, but a quick search did not turn up any makers for the WC-122 cases. Don't really want an original (they seem to have gone up in price significantly) unless it's not quite perfect as I could either restore or paint, but would take one if I could...
  21. T

Modern Marantz Review (PM-KI Ruby Integrated Amplifier)

I know this forum is mainly a vintage Marantz forum (of which I own 5 of them and have learned a lot here), but I also wanted to give everyone a review of something I picked up a couple of weeks ago: Marantz PM-KI Ruby Integrated Amplifier, limited to 1000 units I wanted something modern for...
  22. T

What Wood Case (variation) is this?

Got this case off of a 2265B (e) that I purchased a while back. Never seen a WC-22 like this...is it common or a Euro thing? All of the WC-22 bottom pics I found did not look like this. I think the feet are out of place, but the single bottom hole is a bit confusing? wood case bottom by _tk...
  23. T

2330B, Newly obtained and questions

Got a lead on a 2330B last night and went to look at it today. Checked out decent for the price so I bought it. For the price, I'd actually of been silly to turn it down. Few things: - It was surprisingly an (e) European model. Non-original power cord kinda clued me onto this, then I saw...
  24. T

4ohm loads and Vintage Marantz 22xx Receivers

I know a lot of people in here like to run older era-correct speakers with their receivers, but I was wondering how the old units handle modern 4ohm speakers. Specifically, either my (restored) 2265b or 2285b might be hooked to a new pair of 4ohm bookshelf speakers in the near future, I've ran...
  25. T

How far to "restore" the metal chassis/cover?

I have a nicely working original 2226B. Somehow, it's got some surface rust in certain parts of the case...the inside bottom panel, the underside of the top cover, etc. All of the electronics look good and it's pretty odd why the surface rust is there as it does not appear to have been used...
Back
Top Bottom