Search results

1. W

Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Which APPJ amp did you get? I use the mini2013 in my bedroom system.
  2. W

Wow, I didn't realize they offered that now. That's new. I'm guessing with Zu being unable to get ClarityCaps due to the lockdown they wanted some kind of upgrade to offer. Jupiters are among the very best caps you can buy, often used as upgrades in tube amps and preamps. I have Jupiter...
  3. W

That's the first time I've heard a Zu speaker described as polite! Actually, Druids can sound a bit restrained dynamically if the amp match isn't good. I'd be curious to know which amp you heard them with. That's why Zu is selling those loading resistors now, to help with that. I play punk...
  4. W

I have not seen Dead Black in person but I have seen Ghost Black (in maple). From the photos I've seen, Dead Black will show none of the figuring in the hickory, it will be solid black with only the texture of the wood visible, like a matte black. Ghost Black will still show the wood figuring...
  5. W

Did Gerrit say if that upgrade is plug and play into DW cabinets? Having had both Superfly and Omen DW in my house at the same time, I once tried a driver swap and I didn't really like the Superfly drivers in Omen cabs. The 16 ohm drivers are deeper, heavier, longer throw and more resolving...
  6. W

Congrats! Pleasure awaits... speaking from experience you will be in sonic heaven.
  7. W

Nice! So you will have matching DefHead centers?
  8. W

Here you go... mine are finished in honey walnut, which I like a lot more than the American walnut Zu uses now. The honey walnut is a little brighter and has a little more flamey figuring in the wood. Also included a close up of "Bugle Boy". 3 watts drives these to sonic perfection.
  9. W

Both look great but personally I like the less saturated finish as I like the way it makes the maple figuring pop more. It looks really stunning that way with the Ghost Black finish.
  10. W

Poultry, did you ever order the tube adapters for your APPJ amp? If so, how do you like running EL90's?
  11. W

I have not heard Soul Mk2. I did have Superflys for a few years. Overall I prefer the big warm tone of Omen DW to Superfly. Superfly is not as amp friendly as Omen, but I see you run vintage Sansui's, which I also do, and it sounds great with both Superfly and Omen DW. Superfly puts out some...
  12. W

Congrats, man! I have a pair of DefHeads in my bedroom. They are hands down the best speakers I've ever heard. I don't wish for a subwoofer with them, ever.
  13. W

Interesting. Personally I use about a 5/8" floor gap and I have no problem getting plenty of bass. Give it a try, it's free!
  14. W

Did Zu recommend the loading resistors for your Omen DWs? If so that is surprising. The resistors are really designed more for the 16 ohm models, especially Druid. An overdamped amp is not a good match with the highly damped Druid, so the resistor makes for a little more lively experience if...
  15. W

I sold a PM8003 recently to a fellow on another forum with Omens and he couldn't be happier with the combo. Yes, Omen DW is fairly transparent to source, but given the Marantz house sound is usually described as "warm and dark", and their onboard phono stages IMO are no slouch, I think the...
  16. W

The leads consist of extra wires with the Panduit connectors attached so that you can just snap them on to the driver and tweeter.
  17. W

1µF 400V Although for about an extra $20 you can get them from Zu as a kit with the leads already attached.
  18. W

Congrats on the DWs! If you're not sure you are satisfied with bass, try fiddling with the floor gap. EDIT: I believe increasing gap increases bass volume, at the expense of bass attack. I prefer the added kick, especially if your preamp has a bass knob. I go with about a 5/8" gap, bigger...
  19. W

I do love the look of those old recycled Druid drivers with the conical phase plugs.
  20. W

I think you measure from the center cones but I don't think it's that important. I just got out the tape measurer and mine are 8'2" apart. But that is for my room, so there is no universal guideline. One reason I like Zu is although fiddling with placement can change the sound somewhat, they...
  21. W

I have not noticed any hum from mine. Audible improvement may depend on your tastes. To my ears, the 6AQ5 sounds a little warmer with bigger bass. I for sure like using 6AQ5 more than the Russian 6P1. Maybe I just got a good pair, but I do like the Chinese 6P1 and I flip back and forth...
  22. W

Mine are about 8 ft apart, very little toe in, maybe 5 degrees, and I sit about 9 ft from the speakers.
  23. W

I rolled in the WE 403b's on mine too. I actually prefer the stock Chinese 6P1 tubes (which I believe are Shuguang) over the Russians. I found the Chinese tubes to clear and open with a big soundstage and some sparkle up top. The Russian tubes I thought were dark with recessed soundstage...
  24. W

I call mine "Bugle Boy"
  25. W

Hello, 1. See my post that I just added above about gap height. 2. Some may disagree with me but I find them easy to place. Mine are a foot away from the rear wall with very minimal toe in. I find them much easier to place than say the DeVore Orangutan series, which really need a lot of air...
Back
Top Bottom