Search results

1. JBEHBA

Recommendations pls for "small footprint" AU amps

Welcome to AK! I can't comment on the amps you referenced but I do have experience with quite a few other Sansui amps. "Small" footprint can be a relative term but here are a few that are frequently referenced favorably, adding in my experiences and personal opinions. AU-505, small footprint...
  2. JBEHBA

Sansui Enthusiasts. Where are you located?

Listening in Portland, OR
  3. JBEHBA

Your Sansui away from home...

Been looking for a good bluetooth speaker option for day trips and camping but have been disappointed by the options I've tried so far. Will definitely give this one a go. Thanks for the recommendation!
  4. JBEHBA

Sansui AU-70

General impressions are quite positive for the AU-70. It's a sweet sounding amp that was often overlooked but has been getting more attention lately. I've had mine for about 3 years, and had it recapped 2 years ago. I have the matching TU-70 tuner, and I think it's a hard combo to beat for sound...
  5. JBEHBA

Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

Welcome to the club! Looks to be in great shape too. And yes, that's all that counts. Happy listening!
  6. JBEHBA

Sansui au-555 knob / replacement

Any of the knobs from that version of the odd number, triple-digit series would work (except for the 555A) - AU-222, AU-777, AU-777A, AU-999. With these parts it's usually just a bit of patience in checking auction sites and local postings since you're likely looking for someone parting out. May...
  7. JBEHBA

Navigate the Sansui Alpha world.

Agree with the above - prioritizing condition, price & design (also consider weight). Comparing my AU-α607MR and AU-α907XR, personally I'd be hard-pressed to hear much, if any, of a significant difference between them. The biggest noticeable differences imo being a few aesthetic elements (front...
  8. JBEHBA

Agreed, wonderful thread. Keep us updated once you've got it settled at home!
  9. JBEHBA

Let's listen....

10. JBEHBA

Welcome to the Triple-7 club. :beerchug: I still remember when I first powered up my 777a and was floored by what I heard. No going back!
  11. JBEHBA

Sansui Serial Number Database Update

AU-9500, 214031026, JBEHBA TU-9500, 224110182, JBEHBA
  12. JBEHBA

Fill in scratches - what to use?

+1 for the Birchwood Casey Super Black
  13. JBEHBA

Let's listen....

14. JBEHBA

Which Speakers are You Using for Your Sansui Amps

Pair of ML Ethos with the AU-α907XR, and refurb'd Forte 1's with the AU-111. Also have a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6's which have played nicely with a number of Sansui amps.
  15. JBEHBA

Sansui AU-999 Recap/Restoration Service

Agreed - they are worth it. Justin's recapped my AU-555A, AU-777 and Eight Deluxe. If I keep my 9090, it'll go to him for a full recap. Ironically, my Eight was recapped by @blhagstrom prior to my ownership and it sounds wonderful - and he's a bit closer to you. Don't think you can go wrong...
  16. JBEHBA

AU-505 black knobs?

Yes, it should fit and match perfectly. I had an AU-555 with the same lever broken and replaced with one from an 800.
  17. JBEHBA

Ultimate Step-down transformer? (120v to 100v)

Another vote for the Sanyo. I have a TSD-N15LU and TSD-N11LU, and my Alphas have been very happy with them. Worth keeping on your watched list and being patient for.
  18. JBEHBA

Just bought a mint AU-999

I've had good luck using Simple Green or WD40, and using a small piece of #0000 steel wool. The important thing with this approach is to use sufficient solution, keeping the wool wet. Start with VERY light agitation following the horizontal grain of the faceplate (not circular or vertical) and...
  19. JBEHBA

Sansui 999 custom speaker terminals

Yes, good eyes! And I agree, the plastic is a nice added precaution.
  20. JBEHBA

Yep, here they are. It's clean, simple and I don't think it's too much of a departure from the original look. kevzep's reco is also a great DIY option to keep the originality.
  21. JBEHBA

Another option - not sure if you’re still planning to send your 999 to qrxrestore for any work, but along with recapping, Justin converted my 777 speaker terminals to banana plugs, and 3D printed the mounting plate. It looks great. I’ll post a photo when I get home.
  22. JBEHBA

Just bought a mint AU-999

Also recommending qrxrestore if you decide to send it out. Picked up my 777 from Justin this morning after a full recap - been enjoying it all evening. It's been said, but Tom's offer is amazingly generous, and I too would take him up on that offer if I were in the same situation. Either way...
  23. JBEHBA

Sansui Eight Deluxe Help!

I'll need to look again when I get home from work as well. Let me know when you find on yours when you have a moment. Thanks! Ah ok, I wasn't sure. I tried searching for images of the boards and attempted to decipher the schematic but I'm nowhere near experienced to do so confidently, yet. Is...
  24. JBEHBA

Sansui Eight Deluxe Help!

I recently (and excitedly!) picked up a minty 8D which was claimed to be all original. I powered it up and ran some audio through the aux port without issue, minimal to no scratchiness in the pots. When I switched to the FM tuner, the audio did 1 of 2 things, either played noticeably louder or...
  25. JBEHBA

Sansui AU-555a Versions?

Yes, thanks! I did note the production dates which supports the cost-cutting explanation of the printed vs engraved faceplate. The B unit is out for recapping with Justin @ QRXrestore, looking forward to hours of listening once it's finished!
Back
Top Bottom