Search results

1. AudioCarMan

DLK 1 1/2s For My Daughter

There are several members here that own DLK speakers. There are a lot of threads with information here on AK. They are veeery good speakers, and the price/quality ratio is great. The DLK 1 1/2s in particular were very popular, well balanced and nicely tuned speakers. They were made in Minnesota...
  2. AudioCarMan

the good, the bad, and the ugly (Yet another Dahlquist DQ-10 restoration thread)

Thank you very much for your detailed comment. In regards to your question, I look for clarity over anything else. To me this is by far the most important aspect, at least as of today, considering that I live in a small apartment. Once I finish my degree I will move to a bigger place and...
  3. AudioCarMan

the good, the bad, and the ugly (Yet another Dahlquist DQ-10 restoration thread)

Yamaha RX-V1 and Dahlquist DQ-10, you just described my audio setting. Did you notice much of a difference when you added the Yamaha M-70? Was it worth it? I might be looking into that in a few years when I move to a bigger place.
  4. AudioCarMan

ADS L810 to ADS L710

Which ADS model is the one that has the best clarity and is heavier on mids and highs? Thank you very much!
  5. AudioCarMan

Protecting the vent intakes from absorbing dust (amps and receivers)

That looks good. Thank you for sharing the pictures. You can also play guessing games with your guests. Da-daaa!!! :p Or even better, buy a new piece of audio equipment, cover it, and your wife will never find out
  6. AudioCarMan

That is a very good observation, missing feet is a bad sign. Which makes me wonder why some companies install flimsy and plastic-y feet on their amps regardless of how expensive the equipment is. Something I do is sticking adhesive felt pads to the feet of my receiver so it moves smoothly on...
  7. AudioCarMan

Ok, thank you for sharing. I a going to edit my original post now. In this case my receiver is on top of a table, so I guess that the plastic feet give it enough space for it to absorb air. Edit: Well... too late... I cannot edit my original post. What a shame as it is misdirecting! Thank you...
  8. AudioCarMan

After I moved apartments a few weeks ago I put plastic shelf liner on top of the receiver so dust particles couldn't get inside of it, but I left the front uncovered. My intention was to remove the shelf linen everytime I would like to turn it on. However, a few days ago I run the receiver for...
  9. AudioCarMan

What do you do in order to protect the intake vents of your amps and receivers from absorbing dust inside? Would you recommend putting something like this (a still wire mesh with small holes) on top of them? I don't have a rack and I don't have space to install more furniture. I live in a...
  10. AudioCarMan

DLK 1.5 - More than one generation?

From your perspective, in which way does the sound differ from the 1st gen to the 3rd one? I own the 3rd one (which is almost impossible to find) and I really like the sound. Maybe does the 3rd gen emphasize the higher and mid frequencies more than the 1st gen? Highs and mids are clear and sound...
  11. AudioCarMan

Introducing subs into your system? One or two?

I have the power hungry Dahlquist DQ 1W Subwoofer. I have my Yamaha amp dedicated to my Dahlquist DQ 10 speakers. I probably need to purchase a separate amp to run my Dahlquist DQ 1W Subwoofer, right? Do any of you know how to connect a subwoofer amp to my amp? I need to connect the subwoofer...
  12. AudioCarMan

Cleaning ADS tweeters

I once ordered soft dome tweeters and the seller didn't protect them well. One arrived pocked like yours. I took my vacuum cleaner and I put the vacuum hose closer and closer to the dome tweeter, very gently and when it got close to the dome, it unpocked it (if this term exists) and fixed it...
  13. AudioCarMan

Yet another Dahlquist DQ-10 Restore

The rattle might come from the masonites around the woofer and the four screws. My DQ-10s came with hard plastic material (like a wedge) around the screws that prevented the masonite from vibrating and hitting the screws and making any rattling noise. The hard plastic wedges looked rudimentary...
  14. AudioCarMan

Yet another Dahlquist DQ-10 Restore

Regarding the .80 fuses, Regnar installs .75 fuses instead of .80. Apparently the .80s are hard to find. BUSSMAN discontinued making the .80 a long time ago, and Regnar installs the .75 as replacement. Regnar told me that the .75 gives "a hair more protection" than the .80. He said one might...
  15. AudioCarMan

JBL Studio 590s on sale - normally $999.

The link is still working for me and the speakers are still heavily discounted. I just took this screenshot (attached). $296 now. Retails $800 (supposedly). Free shipping. I don't have room for them, so I won't buy them.
  16. AudioCarMan

Dahlquist DQ-10 bigdome midrange - Crossover problem?

Nice pictures! The person that told me about using a little bit of vaseline in the midrange was an experienced repairman on eBay that worked repairing big dome midranges such as the ones that ADS installed, and other speaker parts. He has had a good amount of happy costumers. He is still on the...
  17. AudioCarMan

JBL Studio 590s on sale - normally $999.

I am reviving @WaynerN's very succesful thread to share this: JBL Studio 580 on sale for $288 now (63% off). Only six hours left. Link: https://www.jbl.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-JB-US-Site/en_US/Product-Variation?pid=STUDIO 580&cgid=loudspeakers&dwvar_STUDIO...
  18. AudioCarMan

thoughts on super tweeters

Apart from checking whether you can hear high frequencies above, for ex. 15.000 Herz, I would double check about the volume of the super tweeter. I wasted hours checking and testing weather the super tweeter in my Dahlquist dq-10 was working and after calling Regnar they said that the super...
  19. AudioCarMan

"New DLK 1-1/2"--diff from original?

Let me jump in to add some information. There are, at least, three different generations of DLK 1 1/2. First and second gen all have phenolic ring tweeters (some are uncovered and some are covered and protected by a metalic grill). The third generation is the definite one, "New DLK 1 1/2". It...
  20. AudioCarMan

Thank you for your advice. The problem is that when I loosed the bolts slightly and found a clean sound after moving the plate a little bit, then I had to screw/tight the loose bolts and this made the midrange sound bad again. This is why I advice not to open the midrange but instead try fixing...
  21. AudioCarMan

Hello @jhouse55. I didn't see any part numbers, unfortunately. On this same thread @tubed mentioned that "The Dahlquist mid domes are the Peerless 4 ohm version of the Peerless 8 ohm mid domes used on the Infinity Quantum series." They don't make them anymore. Before you spend money on...
  22. AudioCarMan

So You Fried Your Dome Tweeters Eh' Bunky?

Thank you for your replies. Yes, the tweeters look great cosmetically, but they don't produce any sound. I don't know what happened to them as they were already broken when I bought them. If the previous owner raised the volume of the music too high would he break the diaphragm and voice coil or...
  23. AudioCarMan

Why are high end stereo speakers priced indivdually?

It is so you can pay for one, sell your car, and buy the second one.
  24. AudioCarMan

Is this really true? Planned obsolescence by Sonos

Here is a video, a must watch video. It impacted me heavily and opened my eyes too. Might be worth having it linked somewhere on the first page of this thread... Thank you.
  25. AudioCarMan

Is this really true? Planned obsolescence by Sonos

This past Summer an Apple seller told me that despite Apple coming up with new devices every month, they keep selling a lot of old Apple phones and laptops because people prefer to keep the 3.5 mm port, DVD readers, USB ports, SD card port, etc. that Apple has eliminated from their "modern"...
Back
Top Bottom