Search results

1. Scott Norton

Crossover Capacitor Identification

I've been enjoying my freshly recapped speakers for the last few weeks. Thanks to everyone for your comments and guidance.
  2. Scott Norton

The system I'm playing with is not that great and there are certainly other factors to consider. I appreciate the various opinions offered in this thread!
  3. Scott Norton

There seems to be differing opinions about the caps I bought. I'll be listening for the "unpleasant edge" after I replace the old caps with the Dayton's. Can you elaborate on process I should follow to add bypass caps?
  4. Scott Norton

Thanks for the response to my inquiry. I've placed an order with Parts Express for Dayton Audio PMPC-8.2 8.2uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor (8.0 uF was unavailable) and Dayton Audio PMPC-2.0 2.0uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor. Both caps are metalized polypropylene with +/-1% tolerance.
  5. Scott Norton

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious if you think replacing the caps will make any noticeable difference? I believe the speakers are from the late 60's.
  6. Scott Norton

Is there a specific manufacturer or type you recommend? Although the speakers are not the greatest, I want to get the best caps available. Also, what are the grey components and should they be replaced?
  7. Scott Norton

I would appreciate some assistance identifying a source for the components in the crossover networks for a pair of XAM 2E speakers I picked up for next to nothing. Yes it's true, I have way to much time on my hands. Thanks in advance!
  8. Scott Norton

Measured my KLH Model Six's

I decided to do something different with the grills that I had to destroy to reseal the woofers. Many thanks to everyone who held my hand during the process.
  9. Scott Norton

I received the following comment from Roy in another conversation: "...It only takes a few hours for the solvent to evaporate...but KLH speakers usually need a couple of applications..." Thanks for your assistance everyone!
  10. Scott Norton

The woofers are definitely returning slower now that I've applied the sealant. I'm going to hold off applying any more sealant at this time. How long do you recommend I wait until I can start listening to the speakers again?
  11. Scott Norton

I removed the grill cloth today, in preparation for sealing the surrounds. Here are a couple pictures: I've read various posts that indicate it's best to apply Roy's sealant in moderation. Should I apply more than one coat and how long should I wait before applying another coat? Thanks in...
  12. Scott Norton

The toggle switches work fine. If there is a way to preserve the originality of these Sixes, I want to try: They were sold by the original owner at an estate sale. I wish I could have picked up the stands and whole system, but they had already been sold: Is it possible to reseal the...
  13. Scott Norton

I ordered the surround sealant from Roy and I received it last Friday. I'll be applying it as soon as I can find the time to build new grilles.
  14. Scott Norton

I apologize for being so harsh in my previous comparison of my 4311s and my new (vintage) Model Sixes. I've been really enjoying the Model Sixes! Apparently the early Model Sixes used military grade oil capacitors...
  15. Scott Norton

I appreciate your feedback. I've owned classic cars that could certainly be improved by upgrades but there was value in the originality, not just the performance. I'm getting that this logic does not seem to be applicable to vintage speakers. I doubt the Model Sixes will ever sound as good as my...
  16. Scott Norton

I happened across a pair of Model Sixes on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/163928865123 and since they were in my neighborhood, I picked them up for a hundred bucks. They were originally sold in July of 1960. They are in remarkable condition for speakers that are going on 60 years old. The...
  17. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

Hi Matt. I'm in the process of recapping my 4100. I am currently recapping the pre-amp audio switching board 045220. I ordered the caps from Mouser using a parts list I found on this board and may have originated with you (see attached screenshot). I found another parts list (also on this board)...
  18. Scott Norton

A question of balance

I found the solution on another thread on this board (McIntosh MAC 4100 weak left channel). I replaced C732 and C733 on the pre-amp audio switching PC board 045220, with Nichicon MUSE ES series caps (UES1H100MPM1TD) and now I'm on The Threshold of a Dream! Hopefully my 4100 will be forever loved...
  19. Scott Norton

A question of balance

Thanks for you reply. I don't have access to a signal generator or an oscilloscope. I was hoping for a test I can preform with my volt/ohm meter that will help me isolate the problem to the Pre-Amp Audio Switching PC Board (045-220), the Volume, Balance Loudness Board (045-213), or another...
  20. Scott Norton

A question of balance

The amplifier power output indicators on my 4100 show the right channel is stronger than the left channel. The problem is only evident on Phono, AM, and FM. When I push the "Mono" button it synchronizes the power output indicators. I can also bring the power indicators into alignment by...
  21. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

I was unable to resolve the problem so I brought my receiver to the Doctor (Cornell). He replaced the missing components and now I am enjoying my receiver without the annoying popping sound. I love the way this receiver sounds through my JBL 4311s... Thanks for all your help and comments!
  22. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

I'm ordering the parts tomorrow, including a new zener which is completely missing. Thanks for your insight... Play ball!
  23. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

It looks like note 10 is only relevant for serial # BY1900 and below and My 4100 is serial number BY2457. Thanks for your assistance and enjoy the day!
  24. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

I'm going to replace D608 and R601 (both are strapped and missing) and see how it goes... Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your assistance!
  25. Scott Norton

MAC 4100

I took a closer look and it appears the power on/off delay has been modified (see attached screenshots). I'm going to put it back the way the schematic indicates and see if it fixes the problem. It looks to me like the "Mystery Jumper" is also part of the delay bypass and should be removed...
Back
Top Bottom