Search results

1. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

Doesnt seem like there are any other electrolytics in the unit, I did replace all the original wax coupling caps with polys, and the only others are disc. The diodes seem fine, not really sure what can go wrong with them. I cleaned the pots and checked all the tubes, just waiting on a matched...
  2. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

Fixed it! Apparently recapping the power supply was all it took.
  3. M

AR4X Speakers

Cleaner? no not really, if you mean a treatment for the veneer, then yes. Howard's Restor-A-Finish walnut did a beautiful job brightening up my cabinets and hiding some imperfections. You can just go to home depot and pick up a can of it.
  4. M

AR4X Speakers

Yes, what dobie said. I found all the information for my restoration here on AK.
  5. M

AR4X Speakers

They also have these replacement tweeters. which sound great. My tweeter surrounds were lifted, and one measured open, so I went with these replacements. https://www.parts-express.com/grs-prt-8-phenolic-ring-tweeter-replacement-for-ar-4x-cts-marantz-and-more-8-ohm--270-252
  6. M

AR4X Speakers

Parts express has everything you need. https://www.parts-express.com/solen-20uf-400v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-582 https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dnr-25-25-ohm-10w-precision-audio-grade-resistor--004-25...
  7. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

I do have some experience working on tube gear, so I'm confident I can tackle this myself. I'm going to stop by my local shop, and hopefully pick up some parts to continue working on this amplifier. I will update once all new coupling caps and filter caps are installed, and the damaged resistor...
  8. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

The main filter has been replaced as it was shorted when I first got the amp, however the other two multicans seem fine. I'll dig into replacing the diodes next. And yes, I have been powering it up on a lightbulb when working on it. I did find a schematic for my unit, but havent really dug into...
  9. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

Looking at it one more time, I noticed a burnt resistor connecting to the tone control amplifier 12ax7. That should be my issue (atleast part of it)
  10. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

Already opened it and did some poking around, nothing looks burnt. I was terrified that it may be the output transformer, but I checked the primary and secondaries and they are the same as the working channel. so that pretty much rules that out as the issue (thankfully)
  11. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

OK... something just happened and my head is spinning with rage. I was using this amp, and all of a sudden... pop. one channel now has very very low gain and some 120hz hum in stereo mode, but is fine in mono. I pulled the output tubes and tested the OPTs, they seem fine. swapped all the...
  12. M

AR4X Speakers

I'm about 150 miles away, but if you want I could help you out a bit.
  13. M

AR4X Speakers

I just refurbed a pair of these, they probably need quite a bit of work to get them to sound their best. I completely rebuilt the crossovers on mine with all new parts (L pad, cap, and a extra resistor), and replaced the tweeters(one was measuring open) with new replacements. It really is worth...
  14. M

12AX7 ?

RCA black plate 5751s are my current tube of choice. Amprex and mullards are always nice though.
  15. M

X-100-3 Restoration tips

Hey guys, I got an X-100-3 in the mail yesterday, and am wondering how far I should go with a recap/restore. When I got it, the large black 100uf filter was shorted, and the closest thing I have on hand was a 150uf lytic from some old plasma television power supply I had in my parts bin. When I...
  16. M

Motherboard Repair - Success!

I don't think so. its pretty much gone. very unfortunate as micro atx x79 boards aren't cheap.
  17. M

Vintage Russian 6P14P-EV any good?

Thanks everybody, definitely going to pull the trigger on a quad of them. $50 shipped to my door, can't beat that.
  18. M

AU-222 From the ground up

About 6 months ago I found a haggard AU-222 at a garage sale for $5, the guy said it wouldn't work anymore. When I got it home I learned why. The fuses had been jumped with wire, and the output transistors were blown. Now I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be good about solid...
  19. M

Motherboard Repair - Success!

Glad you were lucky/skillful enough to pull this off, my rampage iv x79 board now has one dead dimm slot due to a broken pin in the cpu socket. I bought it with bent pins for a pittance, and was almost able to completely save it. Whatever, 12gb is fine for me :rolleyes:
  20. M

Best speaker score under $100

KLH Model 5s: $10 Klipsch KG 3.2s: $60 AR 4Xs: $40 Current favorites are the ARs, Totally went through em and refurbed them, sound awesome.
  21. M

Yet another speaker ID-maybe big console speakers

Looks alot like cabinets that would come alongside an organ from back in the day. I saw a very similar pair on craigslist for free recently. Unfortunately I was out of town or I would have gotten them.
  22. M

Thanks guys. The sovteks are a bit more expensive than the others I was looking at, can you clarify if EL84M = 7189A? if I can find em somewhere else cheaper they seem like a good alternative.
  23. M

Hi, This is my first post on ak, but certainly not my last. Today I received a nice Fisher X-100-3 in the mail, and as is typical with the US mail it was damaged. One of the original quad of Mullard 7189s was broken, and the other three were rattling around in the box. Right now I'm running the...
Back
Top Bottom