Search results

1. HepcatWilly

Ideas on Acoustic Research Classic 26 speaker fix

I once asked Larry the AR guy about recapping mine, and he replied "Why would you do that? AR used top-notch capacitors." He stood to make decent money off the sale, too.
  2. HepcatWilly

Help with Cizek Model 1 speakers

Are you doing this with the speakers standing up? Have you laid the woofer down flat? Sometimes they get jammed or the magnet shifts as A400 says. A lot of times people get away with flipping the woofer upside down and things work out fine. Hope this is your case.
  3. HepcatWilly

Help with Cizek Model 1 speakers

I have Cizeks as well, I hope I can help you. What do you mean by 'frozen'? The woofers are easy to refoam. Most of the magic is in the crossover.
  4. HepcatWilly

Ideas on Acoustic Research Classic 26 speaker fix

Agree with NH-Man and gkimeng. Check your source before opening up the speaker. Then, check the seal before going further. I can't imagine you would really destroy the speaker opening it up. I have AR9lsi that I refurbished early on in my hobby that sound great. Huge blobs of solder, no idea...
  5. HepcatWilly

Crude but effective ultrasonic LP cleaner

You say that this is crude, but it's really beautiful! The build of the rotisserie is very elegant and precise, like a piece of Shaker furniture. It's gorgeous. You should see the mobile base I made for my lathe yesterday, it looks like something out of the Flintstones compared to your work. I...
  6. HepcatWilly

Advent Graduates, Worth re-foaming?

Refoam is surprisingly easy and almost anything you do can be undone. Run a tone through the speaker and you'll hear if you go off-center, and even that, you need to really wrench the cone to do so. Try it!
  7. HepcatWilly

Dad passed away...

For what it's worth, my dad passed away several years ago, but he's still in my heart. I had a vivid dream of him last night, nothing special, but he was just there. Same with Mom.
  8. HepcatWilly

Found A Kyocera PL-910 at an Estate Sale

That is a really, really interesting turntable. I have a Kyocera tuner that I love, great build quality. Excellent find, congratulations!
  9. HepcatWilly

COAXIAL vs. OPTICAL

Sorry for the diversion, but YEAAHH to NeXTStations! I just pulled mine out of the attic yesterday. What a fantastic machine.
  10. HepcatWilly

Boxer vs Straight vs V-configuration engines.

I didn't realize this! Are they in the Mazda 6 and 3? My daughter had a beater Mazda 3 rustbucket that I bought her. I had to use cruise control on the highway because it was so much fun to drive, I found myself over 90 on a too-frequent basis.
  11. HepcatWilly

Boxer vs Straight vs V-configuration engines.

Whatever happened to the Wankel engine? I remember a friend's dad had a couple of Mazdas in the 80's and those things were like little race cars. I don't think anyone is using them these days...
  12. HepcatWilly

nikko receiver

I don't know what STA stands for, but I can tell you that Nikko receivers are some of my favorites, they sound beautiful. Restored and gave away several, and every recipient happily kept them for years.
  13. HepcatWilly

Improperly seated woofer? (Allison one)

Thinking about this further: I can walk into any house and make the voice coil rub, even the other three you tested You were happy for a long time before you discovered a perceived defect during a visual inspection Messing with a speaker as large as the Ones could cause you to break the...
  14. HepcatWilly

Improperly seated woofer? (Allison one)

Personally, I think you should probably leave them alone unless you specifically hear a scratching voice coil when music is playing. Pushing the woofer in itself may create the rubbing sound, it's pretty easy to make the voice coil scratch when you're messing with woofers. I'm an idiot, and I've...
  15. HepcatWilly

Laptop with no operating system?

Yes, it's only a matter of having a bootable USB key. PopOS is a great distro that is quick to install and very polished. You boot to a live environment and have a guided install in a few minutes. They have Nvidia drivers packaged too, if you need it. PopOS was created to support System76...
  16. HepcatWilly

DCM Time Frame 600 restore Maybe

You can also easily get a spray like Urine-Away at a grocery store or pet store. This has an enzyme that breaks down the smell pretty quickly. I think a good soak in that would help. Used to use it all the time in carpet cleaning.
  17. HepcatWilly

Speaker Identification Help?

Good news and bad news: The Yamaha's are considered to be quite nice speakers. I don't know much about them and don't have direct experience, but I'm sure someone will come along with better insight. You're right, you should keep those. Not sure how easy it will be to replace the Infinity...
  18. HepcatWilly

Your single most 'Paranormal' or Otherworldly encounter/experience

Having a party in a friends basement, maybe 25-30 people. Three of us are standing by the stairs talking. Behind the stairway is the boiler, separated by a railing and cloth curtain. A face and hands press up against the curtain (imagine if you pushed your face up against a tight shower...
  19. HepcatWilly

♫ Post Pandemic FrankenFest is on in West Boylston, MA - Saturday October 23, 2021 ♫

I was driving by Clinton MA on Saturday morning on the way to college tours. I sure miss Frank, and I was shocked to learn about AudioDon only earlier this year. I'm sorry to have missed the event, but I'm glad that you're all doing well and in good health and got together in such a beautiful...
  20. HepcatWilly

Possibility of restoring vintage Sony speakers

There are several companies that will rebuild a speaker. Millersound is one, Simply Speakers is great. Two observations: 1. I have a pair of Sony SS-M7, took me almost 10 years to find them. They will never leave. 2. I recently (almost) finished a pair of AR9lsi speakers that I bought in 2007...
  21. HepcatWilly

Why do you love this “hobby”

Tonight, as my wife asked me why I was bent down with a flashlight and screwdriver, I said to her: "Honey, most of this hobby is figuring out what's broken!"
  22. HepcatWilly

Help with t-nuts?

Excellent ideas, thanks! I had been considering a sawdust/epoxy plug similar to what is described above, and I love the idea of plywood backing. I will definitely try that, never had considered that idea.
  23. HepcatWilly

Help with t-nuts?

I've got some drivers where the t-nuts have spun and bored into the pressboard. Where they did that, they ground the wood pretty thin. They don't seem to grip when I'm putting the drivers back in, just pop out and start spinning. Unfortunately, I can't just rotate the driver and drill new...
  24. HepcatWilly

New Guy.

What an interesting name @Nabnassett. I happened to grow up on a lake with that very name, spent my youth between Edwards Beach and Mary Lou's. Wonder if we've crossed paths?
  25. HepcatWilly

Just did a purge

While I appreciate your need to purge, I am extremely disappointed to hear that you brought Allisons to the dump. I have a near-perfect pair but needs a new woofer. Allison Twos use a 16 ohm 8 inch woofer, impossible to find. You just threw four of them away. Best speakers I've ever had, would...
Back
Top Bottom