Search results

1. MWalt

Open Baffle Speakers-Ready to jump in feet first

I want to either pick up some Betsy's from Caintuck Audio or build my own OB's to go with this cheap Laochen Luxury El-34 amp I just bought which is surprisingly good. The only resources I have to possibly use in the build are a pair of Fostex 126 EN's that I could pull from my Hornshoppe Horns...
  2. MWalt

Stand Mount Speaker Ideas...

I have been looking for another pair of "great bang for the buck" stand mounts. The speakers will paired up with a Primaluna Prologue Classic integrated amp that I just picked up. The only mods I am adding to the Primaluna are a set of Tung Sol KT 120's and some NOS driver/preamp tubes. The...
  3. MWalt

I just got my new Turntable

I had sellers remorse after selling my Basis 1400, so after staring at my record rack for a prolonged period of time I grabbed my backups; a Technics SL-Q2 and a JVC QL-F4. Good, but not good enough. I wanted better. I decided to look at turntables in the 1k to 1.5K range and didn't want one of...
  4. MWalt

So cold in NE Ohio that the "tubes" are in full force!

Got the Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET and the ARC SP16 pre in the rotation this week. It's friggin COLD here. Now, I have a nice warm and cozy listening environment. :D
  5. MWalt

Phonomena II Phono Preamp vs. IFI - MICRO iPHONO

I have been scoping on new phono preamps and have my eye on these two. Although I like the phono section in my ARC SP16 preamp, it is designed for HOMC carts. I want more flexibility. The only other phono preamp I have is an Emotiva XPS-1, which isn't too bad, but I want better. What do you think?
  6. MWalt

Tekton M-Lore's Anyone?

I just ordered a pair of Tekton M-Lore's in satin white with grills. Anyone else have these and what am to expect with them?
  7. MWalt

Spin Clean + Record Doctor= Great Combo

I have had a spin clean a long time and appreciated its virtues, but I just couldn't resist the Record Doctor V for only $200. I use the Spin Clean to clean the record and just vacuum the wet record with the Record Doctor. I cleaned about 15 records tonight and didn't hear any snap, crackle or...
  8. MWalt

Help with Kenwood KA-5700

I just picked up a clean little recapped Kenwood KA-5700 Integrated from the local repair shop. I set it up and played it, marveling at how nice it sounded and then...Nothing. The power was still on, but no sound. I had it hooked up to my SBT w/Chord Chordette DAC and some Snell Type EII...
  9. MWalt

Really enjoying the new Eric Clapton vinyl

I just got the new album Eric Clapton and friends: The Breeze in 180G vinyl. Great sound quality, super musical content. Highly recommended. :banana::banana::banana:
  10. MWalt

Help me convert my Large Advent E-Waves to high efficiency

Quite a while ago I built a set of Original Large Advent Econowaves. My build is here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258298 Since then, I have gone the audio route of SET and high efficiency speakers. So the E-Waves have been collecting dust for quite a while. I want to...
  11. MWalt

Quality Tube Socket

I want to replace the tube sockets in my Bottlehead Stereomour with a good high quality set. The stockers are sloppy. I need some suggestions on some quality 2a3 units. Suggestions?
  12. MWalt

Emotiva Power Amp is Surprisingly Good

I just bought an Emotiva UPA-200 power amp. It all started when on a whim when I bought a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR standmounts for my basement system. You know, the $100 cheapies that have gotten such good reviews. I tried them with all of the amps I had. I didn't feel that they were efficient...
  13. MWalt

New revelation

Oh the joy of the DHT SET. I now "get it"!
  14. MWalt

Somebody stop me!

I am seriously considering buying a new Line Magnetic LM Mini 218. It is only $750 new and is a single ended EL84 SET. I am quite impressed with my APPJ MiniWatt N3 when using NOS tubes and paired with my ARC SP16 preamp, so wouldn't it stand to reason that the Line Magnetic amp would sound even...
  15. MWalt

The Surprising APPJ MiniwattN3

I have an AppJ Miniwatt N3 with some NOS EL84's and an NOS 12AX7. I disconnected my main amp and hooked the Mini up to my ARC preamp and was surprised by how good it sounds. I had never heard it hooked up to a good preamp. For those that have never heard one you would be hard pressed to find...
  16. MWalt

Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC-Some thoughts

I have put a couple of months of use on my recently purchased Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC and I thought I would pass a few thoughts about what I think of it. From the moment that I unboxed it I knew that I had a very well built piece of kit. It is beautifully made in aluminum and quite simple...
  17. MWalt

Smitten by KEF LS-50's

I really like these speakers. I mean I really like them. I know I don't have an amp that will bring out their best so I was considering mating them up with an Emotiva XPA-2 and my ARC SP16 Preamp. 300 beefy watts a side should do it, right?!! This doesn't mean I am giving up on low powered...
  18. MWalt

New DAC Incoming

I finally decided what I wanted and bought a DAC and it is...the Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC !! I was able to get a nice deal on a 6 month old used one in pristine condition. I chose this DAC not just because of price, but also because it does everything I want it do and does it very well. It...
  19. MWalt

Which DSD DAC?

I decided to upgrade my Simaudio Moon 100D DAC. It's a nice DAC, but it's time to step up the game a little on the main system. I have 3 picked out that I like and are within budget. I really hope I can find a dealer that carries any of them to get an audition : -Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC: This...
  20. MWalt

Didn't get a Dragonfly, but I did get this....

I needed a cart with more gain than my Audio Technica AT33EV. The ARC SP16 Preamp has a phono section that is perfect for HOMC carts. I am breaking it in now. First impression is favorable. It is a little edgy right now, but I suspect some playing time will fix that. I have it on a Basis 1400...
  21. MWalt

My obsession for better is besting me once again

I have the desire to upgrade once again. So far this fall I have: -Upgraded the Hornshoppe Horns by adding the Heil tweeter upgrade: Now they are the Great Heiled Horns. Great improvement! -Added the Dennis Had Inspire Amp/Preamp. I didn't expect this level of good. Very happy. -Added...
  22. MWalt

Another ARC SP16 Preamp Thread

I just got my new/used Audio Research SP16 preamplifier. I won't go into detail what I think until I have spent some time with it. I have to wait for the honeymoon to end to make an honest appraisal. But, I will make some initial comments. My first impression is that this preamp makes music the...
  23. MWalt

Audio Research SP16 vs. Audible Illusions Modulus 3A

I want to buy a decent tube preamp without breaking the bank and have it narrowed down to these two. My needs are simple; I want high quality, tubes, a remote, and a good phono section. I am also buying used in great condition. In your opinion, which of these two is better and why?
  24. MWalt

Great Horned Heils Anyone??!!!

These things are incredible. Trust me on this. OK, don't believe me. You aren't gonna hurt my feelings, but these little puppies just sound great. I really liked my horns before adding the Heil tweets, but the new tweets take the sound to a new level. Extended highs, smooth throughout the...
  25. MWalt

Rectifier Question

Can I substitute a Brimar 5Z4G for the Magnavox 5Y3GT that I am using on my tube preamp safely?
Back
Top Bottom