Search results

1. FLShope

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Neat turntable, HBtim. I haven't seen another Empire for ... well, maybe never. I have a 1973 model (598), still running fine. Good machines ... there ain't nothin quite like rotating machinery.
  2. FLShope

I just re-emerged from cyberspace during which time in that other dimension I upgraded my main machine's operating system to Debian 10. Glad that's over! As part of my therapy in re-entering the real world, I listened to Mahler's Symphony No. 1, one of my personal favorites. Over the years I...
  3. FLShope

Schumann: Symphonies 1 and 2 (CD, London 421439-2, 1988, DDD) and Symphonies 3 and 4 (CD, London 421643-2, 1989, DDD). The Cleveland Orchestra, Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting. Recorded at Masonic Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio,1987 and 1988. I have had this set for decades and I guess it is my...
  4. FLShope

I think the basic repertoire will take you a long way. It took me forever to break out and to begin hearing music where I once only heard noise. It was Bartok's string quartets that dragged me kicking and screaming into the model era.
  5. FLShope

Gorecki: Symphony No. 4 (Tansman Episodes), Op. 85, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Andrey Boreyko conducting. Recorded April 12, 2014 live at Southbank Centre's Royal Festiva Hall, London. Nonesuch 7559-79503-4 (CD, 2016). I now have all four of Gorecki's symphonies, though my familiarity with...
  6. FLShope

jobrewer1983: I am not flying model rockets anymore. In high school, I did fly a bunch with Estes engines. The one in my avatar actually used a motor by Coaster Corporation, which was roughly five times the size of the Estes engines. Today, I think it might be in the "High-Powered Rocketry"...
  7. FLShope

I haven't posted for a while. Been busy/worried with other stuff. Yesterday I listened to a CD of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 by Rudolph Serkin and a well-respected orchestra and conductor, but suddenly it struck me -- why does this recording seem so uninteresting. Is the orchestra falling...
  8. FLShope

L'Estro Armonico ... one of my favorite Vivaldi concerto sets. RV 356 was the first Vivaldi concerto I became familiar with ... on a Nonesuch LP that didn't identify the RV-numbers. It took me a long time to discover it was part of L'Estro Armonico, a concerto set I never purchased for some...
  9. FLShope

Beethoven: Triple Concerto for Violin, Cello & Orchestra in C, Op. 56. Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan conducting. Brahms: Double Concerto for Violin and Cello in A Minor, Op. 102. Cleveland Orchestra, Georg Szell conducting. David Oistrakh (violin), Mstislav Rostropovich (cello)...
  10. FLShope

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Neat turntable! I have a 598 that I bought in 1973. I don't know the differences from your 698, but I've found mine to be a very robust piece of equipment and it's still working fine.
  11. FLShope

Vangelis: Rosetta. 2 LPs, stereo. Barnes & Noble/Clioti LTD UK/Decca 5700634 (2016). Described by liner notes as an elegy to the European Space Agency spacecraft Rosetta. Launched in 2004, entered orbit of comet 67P in 2014, soft-landed the Philae landing craft that year, mission terminated 2016...
  12. FLShope

Jesus Christ Superstar, Webber and Rice. Murray Head (Judas), Ian Gillan (Jesus), Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene), Paul Raven (Priest), Victor Brox (Caiaphas), Brian Keith (Annas), John Gustafson (Simon Zealotes), Barry Dennen (Pilate), Annette Brox (Maid by the fire), Paul Davis (Peter), Mike...
  13. FLShope

One of the things I like about this particular forum is that browsing it often reminds me of music I like but haven't listened to for a while. Such as the Paganini violin concertos. I tracked down the CD you pictured to see which of the six concertos it included -- the first, which is great. So...
  14. FLShope

Gorecki: Symphony No. 1 Op. 14, Chorus I, Op. 30, Three Pieces in the Old Style. Krakow Philharmonic Orchestra, Roland Bader conducting. Recorded in Krakow, 1990. CD, DDD. Koch International GmH Swann 3-1041-2 (1993). After getting familiar with Gorecki's Symphony No. 3, I've got to hear his...
  15. FLShope

Vangelis: Beauborg. Stereo Dolby B cassette tape. RCA AYK1-4387 (1978). If you are looking for whistle-along melodies and find them here, you may consider your musical tastes eclectic. This album has been described as "avant-garde-experimental ". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaubourg_(album)
  16. FLShope

Corigliano: Symphony No. 1, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim conducting, Stephen Hough (piano), John Sharp (cello). CD (DDD). Chicago, Orchestra Hall (live audience). Erato 2292-45601-2 (1991).
  17. FLShope

Actually, she works at Barnes and Noble, which carries a modest offering of vinyl.
  18. FLShope

Just wondering ... many participants here post album cover photos and music clips. Do we know for sure that there are no copyright issues in doing this?
  19. FLShope

I haven't posted for a while -- have been busy struggling to upgrade an OS on a 2007 MacBook -- I am sure Apple would rather I buy a new one than help me with their klugey install procedure -- though I did buy a new iMac, but I want to keep the old one going as long as possible as a backup...
  20. FLShope

Mahler: Symphony 1. The London Symphony Orchestra, Jascha Horenstein conductiong. Advent Process CR/70 cassette, stereo, Dolby B, CrO2 tape, Advent D1019, 1970. I own less than 100 cassettes. This particular recording is one of the most spectacular in sound quality. It lights up my BSR spectrum...
  21. FLShope

Vivaldi: Concertos for Guitar and Strings (D Major, C Major), Concerto for two Horns and Strings (F Major), Suite from "Il Pastor Fido", Op. 13). The Colligium Musicum of Paris, Roland Douatte directing. LP, mono. Notes by Edward Tatnall Canby. Elektra/Nonesuch Records H-1018...
  22. FLShope

Great album, Heaven and Hell, my favorite Vangelis.
  23. FLShope

Great looking Teac! There ain't nothin' quite like rotating machinery.
  24. FLShope

Kitaro: Tunhuang. Just recently got my OR deck back up to snuff. I sold most of my prerecorded OR tapes long ago, but I still have some favorites I made myself, including my Dad on banjo.
  25. FLShope

It's hard to beat a Rachmaninoff piano concerto. The Master knew what he was doing!
Back
Top Bottom