Search results

1. torfury

RS-II's and Pioneer SX-1280 protection mode

You're SX-1280 should work just fine. I know, as I used one with my RS-II's for about six months. Use the loudness if you are just enjoying while reading a book or something, not when your horns come out. There are a lot of good suggestions for "better" ways to power them, and you may take that...
  2. torfury

Kappa 7

Right. These are not amp killers. I ran mine for couple years with a Yamaha Cr-840, without fail.
  3. torfury

Kappa 7

Damn. That looks great so far. What Bobby said above next. That is the other product I was trying to think of that works well. By the way, I'd kill for that anvil you have in the second picture! Is it ACME surplus?! LOL
  4. torfury

Kappa 7

I would have to say he knows his business then! As for the risers, I have none. The room I use mine in has oak hardwood floor, and I use a piece of that rubberized cabinet liner material under them. If you are a handy woodworker, I think I would be inclined to just make some. I guess I really...
  5. torfury

Kappa 7

Wow! Mayonnaise?! That's one I have not heard of!
  6. torfury

Kappa 7

Danish oil worked beautifully for me. I sanded very little to get rid of a very large and dark liquid stain. There is mild warpage, but it is not evident to the naked eye. The stain however is gone, and after several treatments with the oil, they look beautiful. It's worth a try, as your...
  7. torfury

REFERENCE SIX

Reference 6, nice sounding speakers, even though they are not "typical" vintage Infinity, and also sound great in a "smallish" room. I have a pair of these, and can say they do a very nice job reproducing high and low frequencies. I have to agree with goodolpg that they are likely due for a...
  8. torfury

Kappa 7

Congratulations on the 7 Kappas. I am lucky to have a pair myself and love them. While I am fortunate that my polydomes and cabinets are all in great condition, other than warped speaker grills, I can comment on refinish. I also own a pair of RS-4a, which are nearly identical to the 7 Kappas...
  9. torfury

Which Infinity's to choose from

Exactly. Still for sale as of today. If you are in NY state I believe, the seller is doing everything possible to get them to a new home soon. I am afraid if they don't sell, they may be parted out, which is a shame, but often necessary. As an owner of a pair of these, unmodified, I highly...
  10. torfury

Which Infinity's to choose from

Any of the first three, and what jazzmans said about the 8.1. I think it really all depends on what the rest of your gear is and your room from what I have read. All would be great, but then I am biased toward any early Infinity. I think you will find that there are some very knowledgeable guys...
  11. torfury

Onkyo M-508 with RS-II

Hi all. I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but wondering if an Onkyo M-508 will safely power my RS-II (first series) comfortably? I don't see anywhere that this is a high current amp, and considering the threads I have read on the subject, it seems this may not be a...
  12. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Thanks VC. I have seen them on that site, and agree, they are wayyyy overpriced for my budget. I have begun the process of building my own, and should be a good solution. Sad that these beauties are being parted out. I just hate seeing that, but reality is.............
  13. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Thanks for that! RS-4a then I suspect. Nice to know. Most of all thanks for that thread and link. Very cool. Man I love this site!
  14. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Thanks again slim. After some thought, and the help and suggestions from ya'll, it does make the most sense to build new. For now, think I will just hang on to these, just-in-case, I were ever able to score a pair of IIa/b! I see you have a pair of RS-4 in your Infinity hoard. I do as well, and...
  15. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Thank you again for the encouragement, and help. I would like to see just the woofer boxes with covers. Might like that. I have some decisions to make...
  16. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Thanks for that info goodolpg. These are in fact routered out, so, like you said, I should be able to either cut them down to fit the RS-ii spec., or maybe I will just take your measurements and make new frames and recover. I sure hate to destroy a pair of very nice grills to do this. On the...
  17. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Hmmmm. Thanks slimpikkins. What I have here is 11-3/4"x 53-1/4" x 1/2" Leads me to believe they are for something else. 9 Kappa maybe? Just trying to figure out if these can be modified to fit my RS-ii. Really hate to do that, so may have to make my own. Thanks again!
  18. torfury

Infinity 7 Kappa. opinions?

I think that sounds like a good deal too. I have a pair of 7 Kappas that I run with an Onkyo M-508. Not a high current amp, but then I am not sure if these are known as am killers anyway. Mostly listen to vinyl. Classic rock, 80's hard rock, and tons and tons of jazz. I don't have much to...
  19. torfury

RS-IIB speaker grills

Hi all. Hoping someone can advise. I have a pair of speaker grills that I am told are for RS-IIB's. Could someone give me the dimensions so I can be sure? I have a pair of RS-II, the first series, and clearly these will not fit.
  20. torfury

New here, new to vintage audio

New here too! Welcome. I highly recommend hitting the subscribe button. The extra benefits are great, and helps support a great site.
  21. torfury

Hi from southeast South Dakota

Thanks Dogs. I worked in the greater Yankton area for about 20 years. Live 40 miles NE of there now. Love the area. Wonderful people and great atmosphere. As for weather,,,,well, I say that is the reason there are so few people living in the state! Back in the late 70's, and 80's, there were a...
  22. torfury

Hi from southeast South Dakota

Yes, South Dakota! I have been lurking for a while and find that I spend WAYYY too much time on this site! Love all the comments and advice. I hope this is the right place to post my introduction. I will admit, the site does confuse me a bit, but with time am sure everything will become clear...
  23. torfury

Re-discovering the joy of vintage audio

Re-discovering the joy of vintage audio
Back
Top Bottom