Search results

1. BamaBilly

Another Craigslist scam

Most of us are familiar with the guy that posts nationally, usually it’s a Marantz or Pioneer that’s worth big bucks and he’s selling them for $200-$300. This one seems a bit different, possibly the same guy though. I messaged him assuming it was a typo and got the whole “oh I’m in Michigan but...
  2. BamaBilly

Dumb panloc question

Hello all, I recently got a nice L52 slant leg for my 2205. Last night I got my workout in by getting it in the cabinet, everything went together nicely. When I went to pick it up it slid out of the cabinet a few inches. Luckily I caught it and no damage was done. Are they supposed to actually...
  3. BamaBilly

Dallas/Fort Worth Area Record Stores

So I’m working in Dallas this week and realized it had been a few years since I’ve been here. Curious if there are any AKer’s that are local to the area and know the good spots. I’m looking for a store or two with really good used selection and a great wall. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
  4. BamaBilly

Andrew Jones joins team Mofi

Just saw a short video about this and thought I’d share. Curious what the price point will be for his first offering, sounds like we’ll know something soon. What do you guys think about this move? https://www.monoandstereo.com/2022/04/mofi-electronics-andrew-jones.html?m=1
  5. BamaBilly

Anyone going to Highwater Music Festival

For Christmas this year I got my wife and myself tickets to Highwater Music Festival and an AirBNB for the weekend starting tonight. I’m especially excited because when I was in the Navy I was stationed in Charleston SC and the venue is on the old Navy base there! The lineup includes Jack White...
  6. BamaBilly

Few pricey LP’s for trade

A few extras I have that I’d like to trade. I’m always looking for rare soul/funk, heavy psych, early 70’s hard rock. Not looking for common titles, I’ve got all that covered already. If you see something that you’re interested in just message me. All records are VG+ or better, happy to provide...
  7. BamaBilly

Conrad Johnson PV8

I recently found one of these pretty close to me and have always wanted to try a CJ preamp. Curious if anyone with experience knows of problems or what to look for? Think a service is in order if it hasn’t had one? Tube preference? Any knowledge you can pass along is appreciated.
  8. BamaBilly

Audio related Christmas gifts

Anybody get anything good, audio related for Christmas? My family generally stays away from gear because they know how picky I am, but usually get a couple of nice records. This year was no exception with an autographed Woods Brothers and Tone Poet of Scofield/ Methany. How about you guys?
  9. BamaBilly

Attention record collectors/experts

Before I ask my question, a disclaimer: I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A SUPER RARE/VALUABLE RECORD, just looking for info. I bought this Beastie Boys Paul’s Boutique years ago from a local shop. At the time I already had a copy but bought it because it looked really unusual to me. At the time I...
  10. BamaBilly

MC50 monoblocks gain question

Seems simple enough, I’m probably overthinking this. I have a pair of MC50’s and just curious how you guys would set the gain. I’m running them through an MX115 and have been told to set them at about 2 o’clock and forget it. Is there a method to making sure they’re set the same? Eyeballing...
  11. BamaBilly

PS Audio Delta 250 Opinions wanted

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these PS Audio Delta 250 monoblocks? I’ve done the usual searching and can find info on the brother and sister to these but not much about these specifically. I’ve never owned PS Audio equipment so if anyone can help it’s greatly appreciated.
  12. BamaBilly

You can make ONE suggestion

Hypothetical: You’re having a conversation with a knowledgeable music lover. You can make one suggestion to them for a band, artist or album. Obviously you want to suggest something unfamiliar and excellent. Whatcha got? Mine answer? Demon Fuzz Afreaka!
  13. BamaBilly

JBL L112’s

A pair locally came up and curious about these. Described as “near mint” they actually do look to be in excellent shape. Wondering what you guys would pay and what to expect from these sound wise. I’ve never owned a nice pair of JBL’s.
  14. BamaBilly

My annual solo bike trip

Been doing these for years now, this year was a pretty big one. I have buddies that run top speed motorcycles at Bonneville so this was the year to attend. My plan was to ride out to Speed Week then see some sights and do some camping along the way. 11 days, 4,513.7 miles with 826 of them coming...
  15. BamaBilly

2nd and Charles, is this even legal?

So I hit the one near me about once a month. Most times I leave empty handed and shaking my head at the prices. Weird thing is when I go to one out of town the prices seem pretty reasonable. Today I had a few minutes between customers and ran in. In the glass case was Nirvana Nevermind...
  16. BamaBilly

Best $2000 or less phono preamp

After trying a couple different phono stages I’m ready to purchase what I hope to be my last phono preamp. I currently have a Jolida JD9 with all the upgrades but it’s not as quite as I’d like although otherwise sounds fine. I’d like to stay at or under $2000 if possible and I’m open to new or...
  17. BamaBilly

The RCM vs Ultrasonic challenge

Ok so here is my thought process. I own and love my VPI HW-17 RCM. I have always felt like it does a great job and never really had a complaint. However, I’ve been reading the Ultrasonic threads and I’m starting to think I could get them cleaner using that method. So, who wants to take the...
  18. BamaBilly

My Want List

Looking to buy or trade for any of the albums on my list. Condition is important, thanks for looking. https://discogs.page.link/oSck
  19. BamaBilly

Trade pricey Jazz for Psych/Early hard rock

So in my area I have fantastic luck finding nice Jazz titles but when it comes to the hard stuff, I’ve found little to none. So what I’d like to do is possibly trade some of my pricey Jazz titles for some early hard rock/psych records. I’ve got Miles, Lee Morgan, Lou Donaldson, Mingus, Hancock...
  20. BamaBilly

Atlanta Record Shops

Morning all, I’m traveling to Savannah today and planning on stopping along the way to do some record shopping. I’m looking specifically for psych on this trip and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for shops specializing in psych in the Atlanta area. Also if you’re familiar with any in...
  21. BamaBilly

Your top 3 vinyl finds of 2020

So this seems to be a popular title on YouTube so I thought I’d give it a try on AK. Like the title says, what are your 3 best vinyl finds of 2020. Doesn’t have to valuable or rare but should mean something to you. Valuable and rare is good too! Here are my 3 favorites from 2020 Found this one...
  22. BamaBilly

ID this amp please

Looking for help on identifying the amp in the picture. I realize it says Bozak Orlen but I can’t seem to find any info using that nomenclature. I’m starting to think it’s a custom build but any info is greatly appreciated.
  23. BamaBilly

Help ID these Heathkit amps

I know they’re Heathkit but does anyone know what model these are?
  24. BamaBilly

Show us your vinyl finds

I thought I would start a thread to show off some cool finds. As a collector I’m really interested in what you guys are into and I’m always looking for new stuff to add to my want list. This weekend I got a chance to hit my favorite semi secret spot in south Alabama. I say semi secret because...
  25. BamaBilly

JBL 4312A opinions please

Just like the title says, looking for folks with firsthand knowledge of the JBL 4312a. What are you impressions, high points and low points, educate me AK!
Back
Top Bottom