Search results

1. C

Best Vintage Set-Up for $500

Thanks again to everyone who has helped with their time and advice. Mulling a few things over - will send pictures once I have the setup.
  2. C

It’s a bookshelf with an open back. I did manage to “negotiate” a pair of Canton GL 260s for $80 plus $30 shipping. Not yet sure if it’s time to pull the trigger, but they do seem to come highly recommended.
  3. C

Funny enough, my first real "love" of music came from listening to Jane's Addiction records - I thought I was a very good listener because I could clearly isolate the bass, drums, guitar, vocals, keys, etc. (of course, not giving any due credit to the wonderful, if perhaps dated mixing). I love...
  4. C

Not a bad idea - the shelf is 29in and 10in high (edit: I can go as high as 10.5). Depth is also about 10. Could narrow my sweet spot, I suppose, but it's just a single chair anyway! Will definitely look at the Canton. I am wondering, is it worth looking at new speakers for this component...
  5. C

Well, it appears a new parameter has entered this equation, which more concerns the speaker side of things - I only have room for bookshelf speakers 10in (or less) in height. Looks to be a pretty limited set of options from an initial perusal of reviews and amazon. Appreciate all of the...
  6. C

I'll be honest, there is a very beautiful Sansui 5000X (of course, slightly out of my price range), that has come available. I think it may be calling to me. Am I crazy? (yes). What I really want to know is, would I be wrong (or misguided) to spring for it?
  7. C

"How" vintage is a fair question - there really is no answer. It all sort of ties into the "why" vintage - (1) I don't want to pay for the bells and whistles of wireless connectivity, etc. (and think/hope I can get more for my $$ by foregoing those types of features) and (2) I love the look...
  8. C

Careful what you wish for! That sounds great. Once I get my feet under me in this realm, you may be hearing from me! (And many thanks for the offer!!)
  9. C

Thanks all, this is again super helpful. For speakers, I was thinking of getting a nice (but small) pair of new bookshelf speakers for the shelves above my turntable setup. My thinking is that since I’m looking for a small size, the newer models are likely to be better (though that’s just an...
  10. C

Thanks for the helpful tips. I was definitely planning on going the Ebay/CL route. I was thinking of pairing an old receiver (say $500) with new passive speakers, and connect my turntable to that (I plan to keep the U-Turn, then maybe upgrade in a few years). Of course, I know there are many...
  11. C

Thank you for the advice - how would the fisher compare to say a Sansui 5000x? Slam dunk for the fisher, or is it more subjective?
  12. C

Quick edit here - the budget is $800 , not $500.
  13. C

Hi all - long story short, I’ve been given a budget of $800 to buy a receiver/amp/speakers for my home set up. I live in a small apartment with my girlfriend and young baby, so volume is not my primary consideration, but just looking for something to get the most out of my vinyl collection. I am...
  14. C

Nikko Nostalgia and Getting Started

Currently rocking 2 10-year old M-audio bookshelf monitors off my U-Turn (with Grado blue cartridge) and the cheapest pre-amp I could afford (at the time of purchase). Now, thanks to these cursed ears of mine (and the blessing of gainful employment), I feel ready to upgrade. Growing up, my...
Back
Top Bottom