Search results

1. R

Alan White of Yes fame dies at 72.

Yeah, I just saw a YouTube of Howe bragging about how when they do CTTE in their upcoming tour (which may have already happened--I didn't check dates), they would not change the key in the final section the way they did in concert with Jon, because Jon couldn't sing that high in concert or some...
  2. R

(I should add that the seminal musicians of Yes are still creating music. Anderson's album Thousand Hands from last year is quite good, and Wakeman's Red Planet from 2020 is superb classic instrumental Prog. Oliver Wakeman--Rick's son--played with Yes in 2010 and has put together an album of...
  3. R

Anderson hasn't been in "Yes Official" since 2008. But "Yes Official" became a tribute band when Chris Squire died in 2016--surely as big loss to the core Yes sound of old as this terrible loss of Alan White. But there are two Yes groups of fame and glory. The first one lined up Anderson...
  4. R

Indeed, Bruford left before the CTTE tour. The musicians up until Fragile were by all reports (including Wyn’s) down to earth. There were some drugs. Eddy Offord, their studio producer and on-tour sound guy, was known to have a drug problem, and several of them had indeed played in psychedelic...
  5. R

I go back further, to The Yes Album, with Bruford on drums, and before Rick Wakeman (of whom I am a confirmed fan, no matter how cheesy he sometimes gets--he was what really pushed Yes to the next level with keyboard playing and arranging like we hear in Roundabout). Alan White's first recording...
  6. R

Alan White was a legendary drummer for Yes, but he was not the drummer on the Fragile album or Roundabout. That was Bill Bruford, who is even more legendary. But Alan was more of a rock drummer, and that's what Yes wanted when Bill decided that improvisation was more his thing and moved over to...
  7. R

They’ll still do it, and by “they” I mean Steve Howe’s Yes tribute band. Without Chris Squire and Alan White, considering that Bill Bruford feels unable to hang, Yes is gone. But the group that calls itself “Yes Official” was already not Yes, because it lacked Jon Anderson and Chris Squire...
  8. R

Vintage quality vs. antique high end vs. new: under $750 CD player

Missed these responses last week--good opportunity to summarize. The Rega wasn't a choice for me, simply because I can't accommodate a top-opener in my system. Beyond that, though, I like the notion of not using an automatic drawer. On the topic of boundaries, well, it's all arbitrary. But...
  9. R

Usable Power, SS Watts vs Tube Watts, and the First Watt??

Load sensitivity is not a specific ClassD weakness (or A/AB strength, for that matter). It’s all about implementation. Read the reviews of better Class D amps from Hypex and Purifi. They are all current-limited at 2 Ohms, but at high power. And within that envelope, their frequency response does...
  10. R

I've seen you write that before, and I wonder if it's the VTL's reacting in ways you like to the 'stats or the bit of roll-off of the 502 in the top octave that you are hearing. Could be either, I suppose (or both). The 502 loses 1.3 dB at 20 KHz from its LP filter. That had no bearing on my...
  11. R

That depends entirely on the gain of the amp. Some very good amps provide low gain, and thus need high voltages to drive them to full power. For example, an amp with 12 dB of gain (examples: Purifi and Hypex, without input buffers) and 220 watts of output at 8 ohms will need nearly 7 volts of...
  12. R

As Bruno Putzeys—the designer of nCore and Purifi amps—has written, “Pass and I have different goals. He wants an amp that sounds good. I want an amp that has no sound at all.” If you are used to what amps with coloration provide, you’ll miss it. If you are used to crossover distortion, you’ll...
  13. R

Batteries and AC power supplies aren't quite the same thing, of course. But the output impedance of a power supply will indeed dictate how it sags under load. A stiff power supply sustains its output under high loads because of its low impedance output, the same as an amp with a low output...
  14. R

(Not disagreeing that good amps are available in AB topology, but that's true for all topologies.) But the statement above is simplistic and somewhat outdated. The current state of the Class D art uses switching frequencies so high that the reconstruction filter does not need to dip down into...
  15. R

Yes. Speaker voice coils move in response to voltage. But the voltage will sag if the amplifier cannot fill up the waveform with power. Current is what the amp supplies at a given voltage to fill up the waveform, which prevents the voltage from sagging and distorting the waveform. This notion...
  16. R

What he said. Never underestimate your power needs. Distinguish between music creation, such as you do with a guitar amp, and music playback. If you model your playback equipment on creation experiences, you'll end up adding the color you want to add at creation all over again. Example: A...
  17. R

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

I replaced my Adcom preamp with this B&K MC-101 Sonata. The Adcom was a good preamp that I will use elsewhere, but just gotta try stuff. The dbx 400t signal router (also new to me) makes it possible--the B&K only has one tape loop, and I needed a way to expand the record-out bus. Rick "not...
  18. R

Where did they all go?

SAE is a problem. Up until a decade ago, there was an active SAE user group, but since that time, the key people have died or moved on and the important online resources that were once there are now nearly gone. Wardsweb is the only remaining resource that I can find, and he does have a few...
  19. R

80s or 90s Amp recommendations?

Okay--I was confused by the "Denon system" that used an "Arcam...amp" We know this: whatever the Arcam delivered was not enough to satisfy the OP, so doubling that would be the minimum I would recommend. And you are right that there is no standard for headroom, and hardly any standard for how...
  20. R

Hooking up PreAmp to 2 amps, to one set of HPMs...?

Please provide the use case. What are you trying to achieve? That will help people understand your question better. I use two amps in my system driving one pair of speakers, but the speakers are specifically designed to allow biwiring. One amp drives the woofers, and the other drives the mids...
  21. R

80s or 90s Amp recommendations?

For me, late 80's and 90's amps means either Adcom or B&K. A B&K ST-140 would provide 70 wpc with lots of headroom, and the ST-200 provided more like twice that. Those became the Reference 125.2 (125 wpc) and 200.2 (200 wpc), after later designs got more power out of the basic design. The Adcom...
  22. R

Help - which preamp to choose?

If your source is only a DAC, why not use a recent single-input preamp like, say, a Topping Pre90? Or, if you must have a tube, a Schiit Freya? These are in a similar price range to many of your listed choices, but have measured performance orders of magnitude better. I have experience with an...
  23. R

Do you own two (or more) of the same amp?

Two B&K Reference 125.2 amps in my main system, biwired into Revel F12’s. Rick “lotsa space” Denney
  24. R

CD players of years past (Pictures)

Sigh. Just lost the right channel of the Naim, and then the power supply diodes released their magic smoke. It's going to have to be repaired. I'm back to the CXC as my primary player. Now, if I could just get its display to be bright enough to read. Good news is that the Naim remote operates...
  25. R

Dedicated Breaker Wire Gauge vs Run Length

Yes. The preferred approach would be to install a #12 pigtail on the #8 wire to go to the device. Electricity is not like water--flow constraint is not the issue. Voltage drop and heat are the issues, and that requires more length than a pigtail. Rick "but the code has no problem with using the...
Back
Top Bottom