Search results

1. Okke 70s

Weltron 2001 8 track program stuck

hmmm.. sounds like the head is stuck between two positions (tracks). You are going to have to take it apart to see what is going on. The golden rules of disassembly: - unplug power cord - find a service manual - find a cup or baggy or something to put the screws in (before you start) - Make a...
  2. Okke 70s

Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

Looks pretty good for an all-in-on! Nah, they stuck those on more often for a while. I have the impression particularly on the lower end models. Those Super-A amps sound great.
  3. Okke 70s

To replace or to not replace working motor-run capacitors.

Thanks all! That pretty much answers the question for me.
  4. Okke 70s

Found one! Akai GX-265. Working but needs work

Oh, I forgot to mention the pause leaver. Yes, had put it the wrong way around actually. The exploded model had confused me. You see, leaver nr.1 must actually sit above leaver nr.2. That is the only way it works, because then it pushes down the hook (nr. 3). And that in turn pulls down the arm...
  5. Okke 70s

NP! Let us know how that worked out. So, I started on the electronic rehab. This is the working document for replacement parts. It's in Dutch, but you get the idea: left is the old, right is the new. Stone-red is "component on it's way" dark red is "part not sourced yet" and purple is "not sure...
  6. Okke 70s

Wynford receiver/8 track "rehab".

Nice progress, and great stuff about the 4-track/8-track shuffle! How about headphones?
  7. Okke 70s

Ah, well it's good to know that "He whom shall not be named" builds perfectly fine working, dildo shaped rockets. I guess we'll be able to buy them on Amazon one day!
  8. Okke 70s

To replace or to not replace working motor-run capacitors.

That is the question! Assume a working good, looking good, testing good motor-run capacitor in some 40-50 year old deck. I always wonder: should I replace it (or them)? That is when the deck gets a serieus refurbishment. Those motor-run capacitors appear to have a hard job, but they also...
  9. Okke 70s

And off she goes! The Juliette is probably the easiest to fix, so best to start with that. A quick search found me somebody commenting on the brand "Wynford" as made by Sanyo. Which makes total sense, because in the early 70's pretty much all "home brands" where actually made by Sanyo. Although...
  10. Okke 70s

Ah yes! A bit more of a serous design then. I want to say.. Tandberg inspired perhaps?
  11. Okke 70s

Oh come on man, show a little spirit! ;) You can measure the size for the belt with a piece of rope, and order something accordingly. For a moment I thought they had written something, like the brand name, with square letters in to the scale, by arranging those green lines and letters. That...
  12. Okke 70s

Alright then, the program shall continue as scheduled! Assuming it's the same with your machine as the '265 you got two options. - One is to remove the woodcase, remove the metal strip behind the capstanmotor, and pull the whole thing out. Be aware that there's a little "bal" behind the Axel...
  13. Okke 70s

The mechanics in the headblock and at the switches (a whole lot there two) have all been taken care of now. I also took the reel motors aparts, for cleaning an relubing. All the way baby! At least there was some lubricant left in those. Now I got the axels of the reel tables running...
  14. Okke 70s

Want old school mid range system...could use some help.

Ah pointed out: what you got is a decades old memory of an experience. It might as well have been a monkey with a trombone.. Very few exceptions not withstanding, those 80's boomboxes sound exactly as the name suggests. In terms of "deep music listening" there is no joy to be found there. Maybe...
  15. Okke 70s

So I pulled an all-nighter and the mechanics are now, really, really, almost done! That is after another pack of 200 cotton sticks. Even though it works fine, I think I installed one leaver of the pause system on the wrong side of another leaver. But that should be easily fixed. The capstan...
  16. Okke 70s

Indeed it makes no difference at all. I switched to 220 as an experiment, but did not notice the smallest, trivial difference in how the reels responded. It's back to 240 now So I opened the machine up on the front. The brake-arms did not come up to completely horizontal when released. The...
  17. Okke 70s

Ever seen this Akai System selector PU-300?

Details.. Just like what that machine you bought is actually for. I'm intrigued though. It looks like some patching unit, like Akai professional might make. Except that this is clearly not a PA machine. And it does not work like an elaborate preamp then? Could it be used for demo's in shops or...
  18. Okke 70s

I took a closer look at the schematics, and it turns out I was wrong: The deck does provide back tension electronically, both during play and winding. The mechanical brake is just for stopping, and holding the tape. Not engaged during tape-role. I have drawn the current in to the schematic for...
  19. Okke 70s

As some of you might know, I was actually looking for an Akai GX-630. Then considered a GX-250, but liked the setup of the GX-265 much better (also better specs). I found one, but at the sellers house it turned out it wasn't recording. Also I noticed a bit of wobble in the right reel table, well...
  20. Okke 70s

Best looking cassette deck?

,, "When I grow up, I want to be a Studer!" That is a fine collection of early birds you got there. I had my eye on that Teak, that B&O and that Philips at different times. But the Grundig is probably the real collectable.
  21. Okke 70s

Shorter cable and other ideas for more output

Was louder, there has been a change since. Namely that a bit of pushing has caused the stylus and the cartridge to make proper contact now. And that in turn caused the output volume to go up to proper levels, of good sound. That is also why I take the leap to assume things are okay now.
  22. Okke 70s

Best looking cassette deck?

Straight from outer space baby! So its not a high-end deck.. She was my first love. Now I'm happily married to an Akai GXC-760. Other great lookers that came along are the Nac 480 in silver, and the Tandberg TCD-330
  23. Okke 70s

Shorter cable and other ideas for more output

Right, I think we can round this one up! I refurbished the amp about 4 years ago. I double checked, and all is good. I did try plugging it in to Phone2, so I could vary the load. As the spec of the cartridge stipulates it sounded best in the middel positon (48kohm), and only varied a bit in...
  24. Okke 70s

Dead tape deck

Ah, those dreaded self inflicted problems! The first thing I would do is take out the multimeter and follow the power down the line. If you are lucky you will find some point or component where there is power on one side, and not on the other. The easiest way to do this is using a schematic.
  25. Okke 70s

Philips FC 931 noisy mechanisms

..uhm, a tiny steam train? Yes that sounds like about the pace of a capstan/flywheel. But could just as well be some other gear wheel. Perhaps some wheel just rubs against something? The best way to find out would be to open it up as far af possible, have it running and closely look and listen...
Back
Top Bottom