Search results

1. Gerry Lynch

Audio Research Classic 60 - new tubes

Tung Sols would probably be fine. I use Sovtek 6550 in my Classic 120’s as that’s what ARC recommended. They sound absolutely amazing but part of that is because ARC recapped and replaced a few noisy resistors last year.
  2. Gerry Lynch

Preamp woes- may need recommendations for new one

I have one of his preamps and it’s been absolutely wonderful! I know when this is all fixed you will be really happy with it. Cheers and hope everything goes well from here.
  3. Gerry Lynch

Audio Reasearch Dual 75A

If it looks like either of those jump on it! Both tubelctron and arts are in excellent condition and all the necessary caps have been replaced.
  4. Gerry Lynch

Audio Reasearch Dual 75A

The D-76 is a fine amplifier as well. If it’s a D-76A it’s even better.
  5. Gerry Lynch

Audio Reasearch Dual 75A

If it looks to be well taken care of it’s probably a good bet. Audio Research still services all their tube amps plus their schematics are online so any local tech could service it too if needed. https://arcdb.ws/model/DUAL75 I had my Classic 120’s completely serviced and recapped by Audio...
  6. Gerry Lynch

Audio Reasearch Dual 75A

If the Dual 75A has been serviced, caps replaced etc., then I would expect it to sound fabulous with your speakers or any speaker for that matter.
  7. Gerry Lynch

Tube Amp Mystery Failure

I wonder if your Opto Coupler has gone bad? I sent my Classic 120's in to ARC because I was having trouble with the bias. They replaced the optocouplers ( PHoto Coupler, Vtl5C4 ) in both amps as well as all the electrolytic capacitors. The photocopiers were cheap...the capacitors not so much...
  8. Gerry Lynch

Amperage draw of big tube amplifiers ?

My Audio Research Classic 120’s draw about 3 amps each at idle.
  9. Gerry Lynch

Replacing Fans on Audio Research Classic 60 Amp

Mine turn fairly slow and are very quiet just like the originals.
  10. Gerry Lynch

Audio Research D76

I think I’d swap the Accuphase and ARC if possible. You really want the ARC to be ventilated properly because it will get extremely hot in that tight space.
  11. Gerry Lynch

It goes to a plug that plugs into the board. You could carefully remove the pins and wire in the new fans. My fans had plugs on them so I put clips on the end of my wires. Looking at the fans you got, I hope that those aren’t too much for that circuit.
  12. Gerry Lynch

I don’t remember what I ordered, it was 2 years ago. This is what I got.
  13. Gerry Lynch

I ordered one of those Etri fans for my Classic 120 a couple years ago. I only needed one and ordered one but they sent me a whole box of 8 of them. I thought they were kinda pricy back then at $80. $360 is ridiculous! The fan worked perfectly. The only problem was they have posts for the...
  14. Gerry Lynch

I want a preamp that sounds like this...

I can confirm that my Don Sachs pre is much quieter than my Audio Research. With my ear against the speaker I can hear a faint hum/buzz with the Audio research and the Don Sachs is dead silent. The Don Sachs also presents the most beautiful soundstage with depth, height and width that my SP9...
  15. Gerry Lynch

I want a preamp that sounds like this...

Sounds like you want a Don Sachs preamp.
  16. Gerry Lynch

What does everyone own for tube gear!

Don Sachs preamp Pair of Audio Research Classic 120’s Pair of VTA M120’s Audio Research LS1
  17. Gerry Lynch

Mono Blocks.. pic’s thread. Let’s see them

Thank you! The ARC CL120’s are as awesome as I remembered when I first heard them in the early in the ‘90’s. I had to re-tube them as they had the original tubes from 1991 and they were so tired…16 new Soviet 6550’s, 4 clear top RCA 6fq7’s and 2 resistors to accommodate biasing the 6550’s and...
  18. Gerry Lynch

Mono Blocks.. pic’s thread. Let’s see them

Audio Research Classic 120’s
  19. Gerry Lynch

Dragonfly for home use.

There are so many better choices for less money out there. Here’s one I found pretty quickly. There are a lot of others on this site as well. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-modius-balanced-dac-review.13769/
  20. Gerry Lynch

opinion of using a 6SN7 over a 12AU7 in an amp driver boards

I built the octal board for my M125’s. I used Miflex capacitors and Shuguang CV181-t (6SN7 equivalent) so it’s hard to say which is responsible for the improvement. I agree the 12au7 tube is acceptable but there are some fantastic 6SN7 tubes out there. Or you could do what I did and use...
  21. Gerry Lynch

New House, New Room

It’s a bit of a mess now but sounds awesome.
  22. Gerry Lynch

Ordering Tubes

What tubes are you looking for? Tube Depot is in Memphis and they are pretty quick. If you are looking for something odd from overseas then it might be a while.
  23. Gerry Lynch

Power Conditioning and Switching Recommendations

I would get a used one of these; https://hometheaterreview.com/monster-avs-2000-home-theater-voltage-stabilizer-reviewed/ when I ventured into tubes I started monitoring my wall voltage and it would be anywhere from 115-130 volts. That’s a little high for old tube gear so I watched flea bay...
  24. Gerry Lynch

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

That’s too bad the fans were noisy...the ones I got were silent like the originals. Also, they don’t blow in, the blow out.
Back
Top Bottom