Search results

1. S

Let's Talk Higher-End Vintage CD players!

I had a long journey since 1990 with my Nakamichi OMS-5 Mark II Player, Sony based. Bought it new. First step was the enormus price difference between the OMS-5 and OMS-7. 1000$ for a remote, programmability (I hope it is the correct term) and headphone output. Got me a service manual, found out...
  2. S

The joys of owning vintage CD players

Sounds like complete rubbish to me - who checked the players? I do not have the service manual at hand (You´ll probably find them downloadable free of charge at elektrotanya) but if the KSS-151 is used in both Akais, the rest of the servo electronics is very likely to be from Sony as well. Here...
  3. S

Vintage CD Players and their old outdated DACs

I habe the first CDP, the Sony CDP-101. I bought it new in 2014, it was shelved for 31 years in a small HiFi-Store They had one at display at the sales room and I thought they did it for fun until I learned three of them were available, stocked by the father of the owner. So I have this one, a...
  4. S

Sony CDP-557ESD issues

You can find the service manual @ elektrotanya. Waizt until "processing" disappears and "download" appears. https://elektrotanya.com/sony_cdp-557esd_707esd_sm.pdf/download.html I assume the voltage circuit for D/A conversion is seperated from the rest, Maybe it is dead (but the enlighted...
  5. S

Adding Digital Output to one of the first Players ever- Sony CDP 101

I was very lucky to purchase a new Sony CDP-101 from 1982 which was stored in the cellar of a HiFi dealer for about 32 years - untouched in its original packing. Besides the fact that the grease was sticky and that the graphite-based contacts for the large buttons do not work (no one seems to...
  6. S

SONY CDP-101 : CX20017 dac improvement

Yes, but none of the crystals seems to have a frequency which is integral to 16.9344mHz: 4.2336mHz or 8.4672. As far as I understood, these frequencies are basics for CD-playback but I cannot find the math right now. Besides the CDP-101 you will find the frequencies mentioned above in any...
  7. S

SONY CDP-101 : CX20017 dac improvement

Maybe this is the place for asking my question: I would like to add digital output using a DIT4092 from Burr Brown. Did this already some years ago on a 2nd. generation Sony-based Nakamichi. All signals I need seem to be present in the CDP-101: Data / Bit Clock / L-R clock. But there seems to...
  8. S

Sony CDP302ES Digital Out & DAC mods

Cool! I did not know that the NPC 5807 also existed in larger packages, easier to solder.
  9. S

Thanks a lot for the advice, very much appreciated. But connections are ok, signals are ok, and the problem persitsts. As one needs an extra board for a buffer anyway, I think it is still safer to add a buffer and DIT4096 or DIT4192. As I unslodered my CX 23035 using the trick by bending the...
  10. S

I had a lengthy personal conversation to find a solution for the flickering problem, but as for the moment, I think my CDP-103 does not tolerate the swap. What should always work is the circuitry I attached. All you need is a 16.9444 base frequency for the digital transmitter DIT4196 which is...
  11. S

Thanks for the advice, the CXD1125Q works now, with one problem: The display now behaves erratic. It shows the time but flickers randomly. After about 15-20 seconds, it will stop counting the time. Is this related to a difference between WFCK (Pin25 CX23035) and SQCK (Pin25 CXD1125Q)? Is this...
  12. S

Correct - but I just finished this mod just some minutes ago - and my CDP-103 will not read the disc. So if I did not fry the "new" CXD1125Q (Got it as a spare part, I do think I did not fry it) I assume something else has to be done. Maybe Cizeta can shed a light on it? I think pin 25 is...
  13. S

WOW! I should have known this 12 years ago: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/88616-beloved-cd-player-eighties-digital-domain.html Anyway, I will try the CXD 1125Q modification. I have a CDP-103 and 302 to choose. Which one has better servo circuitry? Both boards look very much the...
  14. S

Small CD player

MaiA CD and CD Box S are effectively the same transport and DAC- the display is in a different location (to match MaiA) and the MaiA CD has a TOSlink output instead of a Coaxial digital output on the CD Box S. Both are in a nice heavy metal case, and are built in Europe! Not bad for $400 At...
  15. S

Denon DCD-1800 issues

I got two non working DCD-1800 from ebay. We should start a petitition that ebay changes "normal wear" to "dealer´s wear". Frankly, with both machines, the "wear" would never have occured with regular use @ home (until you had regular fistfights with your family members). I am sure, some years...
  16. S

What is a good external optical drive for ripping and burning CD's?

As far as I remember, having the possibility to reduce rotational speed and switch off the drives internal error correction matters as well. One good program btw is XLD.
  17. S

CDM-1 based Philips CD-304 / Marantz CD 84 Suddenly Fails to Read Disc

Thanks! It took me more than a month while trying everything: Changing all Electrolytics, changing transistors and all IC´s still available, resoldering everything, checking every cable, even buying some Philips cheapo players off ebay using the same chipsets as the CD 304 MKII. I am not so...
  18. S

Found the error: One of the capacitors on the servo board, 2215 (2µ2) or 2217 (1µ5) were defective or making a short to ground. After replacement, the CD 304 MKII is running fine now! All the best, Salar
  19. S

pick off point for adding digital output?

When it is Sony based, since 2nd generation: Data/L-Rclock/Bitclock. See this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/88616-how-get-your-beloved-cd-player-eighties-into-digital-domain.html
  20. S

Well, this sounds like one of those many threads about laser failure and dirty lenses. It is not. A Philips CD 304MKII of mine was cleaned and aligned by myself at the end of March. All ground connections were resoldered, bearings lubricated, laser cleaned and I even aligned the swing arm. (BTW...
  21. S

Think my beloved Denon CD player is finally dying...

I would swap the electrolytics in the laser and servo circuitry. As for disc motors, they might be from Mabuchi, in the Denon as well as in the Kyocera. Chances are high they are still produced. Swapped them in my OMS-5II Nakamichi Player, but this was already 10 years ago. CDP-302 (I have one)...
  22. S

What were your first impressions of CD's when they came out?

Well, having lived in the epicenter of Techno I would say it was a bad thing. Never met someone who crazed about this sh** while being sober. And I am not against drugs at all. But while LSD made some great records that left a footprint in music in general, Techno left - tell what...?
  23. S

What were your first impressions of CD's when they came out?

Correct! Found out at the dawn of CD that Vince Guaraldi was the composer for the Charlie Brown Movies and TV Specials. His music brought me to Jazz as a child He died in 1975. As far as I remember, it took until the beginning of the millennium when his recordings were completely available on...
  24. S

How To Clean Anodized Aluminum Plz!

A company specialized on front panels for high end audio once told me they had a loss of 30% buying the alloy from metal traders. The loss dropped to 10% after they had 3 tons casted by a mill As far as I know, 6061 is not as good as 6060 or 6063 for decorative anodizing. For my project, I...
  25. S

How To Clean Anodized Aluminum Plz!

No, the dye just faded,like your Jeans. The anodizing layer is still there. I expienced the same with some black-anodized high end gear...
Back
Top Bottom