Search results

1. maxhifi

Holy Grail Turntables

I'm going to say brand new top spec Oracle Delphi, with an SME V, and a Koetsu. I have an old one, and I love how it sounds, and love how it looks, and I love how fiddly it is but how it rewards you for getting it right. Having a new one which addresses the (not insignificant) flaws of my...
  2. maxhifi

Is Streaming the best thing that’s ever happened to listening to music?

I like Tidal. A lot. But I wouldn't say I use my stereo more than before I got it, or even listen to a much wider variety. It has definitly paid for itself in avoided phono stylus purchases though!
  3. maxhifi

LESA Sagittario II

This is a portable record player, with a ceramic cartridge. It won't immediately destroy your records, but I would not play extremely precious records on it, because this type of cartridge tracks heavily enough to eventually damage records. Then again if you have a shelf of old LPs from your...
  4. maxhifi

My Lastest BoseBlose Special: The 4X301 Stack - Whaaat?

If they're identical, you get an increase in efficiency and lower distortion. If they aren't, then messed up frequency response.
  5. maxhifi

I like it. The Bose speaker which I've always been most curious to hear, is the original 701, but your array seems better, particularly in terms of keeping cone excursion low.
  6. maxhifi

My main criticism of the 301 series 3 I tried out a few years ago, was weak midrange. How does the stack do with brass instruments or vocals?
  7. maxhifi

KEF 107 Kube repair?

Try moving the input signal from your amplifier to "tape input" from "input", leave "tape monitor" engaged, and leave the output of your kube to the input of your amplifier as it is. This will use different contacts in the tape monitor switch and may help
  8. maxhifi

Which Choice would you Make?

1 Any SME arm will need to be used, as they aren't sold new anymore separately from SME turntables, except the M2 series. No idea how good those are, but certainly have a retro look. 2. Yes. Like the idea of all new electronics and moving parts versus keep the excellent but ancient thorens 3...
  9. maxhifi

Eversolo DIY

The user interface could be made close, and I'm sure you could make a nice box that looks pretty, but the reason the Eversolo costs money is to do with sound quality. No car head unit has the sort of analog circuitry found within the Eversolo, and I'd be surprised if you find one that streams...
  10. maxhifi

Why Do People Do This?

Have you seen the newer gas pumps, with a big LCD screen, and a pair of stereo speakers? I was relieved when I figured out you can shut the sound off.
  11. maxhifi

Magnepan LRS and LRS+ Tips, Tricks and Mods

To me the LRS+ are a fantastic deal, because they give the user a taste of the Magnepan sound for a very reasonable price, especially for a US made product. On the other hand, if you could stretch the budget to a 0.7, it addresses the main flaws of the LRS+ and then some. As for the ASR...
  12. maxhifi

Crazy question about phono input testing.

5mV is for an MM input. For MC sure, turn it way down. But hardly any vintage receivers have an MC input so I didn't mention it, since I understood that to be the context of the post.
  13. maxhifi

Crazy question about phono input testing.

Set your signal generator to 1kHz, and 5 mV output. This should be enough to drive the amplifier to full output. Honestly though checking with a turntable is the best way to test it, I've had plenty of situations where it checks fine with a signal generator, but some weird hum issue appears with...
  14. maxhifi

WHY Do People Purchase BPC and such

I stop going to places that have especially obnoxious music. I don't mind cheap audio gear, it has its place, and I love good music even on a pocket transistor radio with the bandwith of a telephone receiver. It's how the equipment is used that can annoy me, particularly if it's adjusted to...
  15. maxhifi

"Carefully Hand-Selected & Matched" Tube Concern

I've seen McIntosh pieces that people have "improved" with tubes pulled out of consoles and God knows where, which have had problems that OEM tubes fixed. I really do believe the Mc branded tubes are better. And they aren't THAT expensive, especially given the price of the gear.
  16. maxhifi

Solid state circuit gurus - do you see anything weird about this?

I don't know why I thought that, maybe old posts or maybe just confusion.
  17. maxhifi

Exactly. But in practice you could probably go down a bit and not lose much. Transformers can usually be overloaded for brief periods without any harm, and between the facts that 8% is almost insignificantly low, 4 ohm speakers aren't that common, and you're unlikely to ever use the amp at full...
  18. maxhifi

All that means is the amplifier will slightly overload the transformer when outputting full power on both channels simultaneously, into 4 ohm speakers. I'd call it close enough that it's never ever going to matter, and most likely 10.8A is just the spec of some transformer you could easily buy...
  19. maxhifi

Speaker country of origin, do you have a preference (England, US, Canada, Japan, China, Germany, etc.)

The title of the thread is "Speaker country of origin, do you have a preference" That to me seems to ask what is the preference for country of origin, rather than where your favorite brand is made. A lot of people make generalizations regarding speakers, like "British speakers are warm and...
  20. maxhifi

Speaker country of origin, do you have a preference (England, US, Canada, Japan, China, Germany, etc.)

No. Good speakers are made all over the world, being speaker xenophobic will cause you to miss out.
  21. maxhifi

Oracle Delphi Setup experts?

not impossible, it's rather large and not that flexible. I ought to remove it and try again - ultimately I'd like to swap the whole arm out, but right now I'm just learning how to set up the turntable.
  22. maxhifi

BSR tonearm lateral friction

BSR changers had a wholesale cost of about $15 in the 1980s. They were so cheap and so reliable that even Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean products included a British built BSR changer. They are a low end product though, and at this age are usually full of dried out old grease. The tonearm should...
  23. maxhifi

Oracle Delphi Setup experts?

Thanks!
Back
Top Bottom