Search results

1. maxhifi

Oracle Delphi Setup experts?

Anyone here familiar with how to set up a Delphi suspension? I've got a few questions that seem to go beyond the scope of the manual.
  2. maxhifi

Cassette walkman - try one lately?

I decided to service my old cassette walkman which I found in the garage to get it working. A WM-F2065 which I got for my birthday in 1990. I've got several newer Walkmans, but I'm blown away by the crisp high frequencies, stable speed, and clarity this one has. I had completely forgotten how...
  3. maxhifi

Looking for full range driver recommendation for speaker array.

Thinking to build an array, looking for recommendations for a 4-6' full range driver which is cheap, and sounds decent. Parts Express has some deals on surplus speakers, maybe someone has tried some of them?
  4. maxhifi

AU-666 Best Replacement Transistors?

I've got one with one bad output, and a bad "flying saucer" driver. What are the replacement devices these days for an AU-666? Also, are there any other parts on the driver board which are likely to be or go bad soon? Been a while since I worked on a Sansui, or something this old... this amp is...
  5. maxhifi

BSR C159 in the house

Realistic LAB 37 / BSR C159 $15 thrift store purchase. Bought it for the Realistic/Shure cartridge body. Or maybe because I felt sorry for it sitting amongst all the other condemned junk. Frozen platter, freed up with hair dryer and slightly heat damaged mat in process. Typical BSR works...
  6. maxhifi

Hifiengine Alternatives?

I have had a hifiengine account for 10 years. I tried to log on yesterday to retrieve a manual, and found my account deleted, due to inactivity (I haven't posted anything, only downloaded, but have logged in regularly) I didnt realized this was a rule, but when i went to register again, it's...
  7. maxhifi

Best capacitors for phono eq?

Sort of a specific question. I'm building a Grado PH-1 clone. The original used styrene capacitors in the EQ networks, which are becoming kind of hard to source. What's the favored precision capacitor for EQ networks amongst the DIY phono stage crowd around here?
  8. maxhifi

Streamer for Tidal Connect?

I'm looking at buying a new streamer, in the under 2k range. I'd like something with a stable app, which can do Tidal Connect, and it should sound as good as possible. I don't really want something DIY based, and I'd prefer a unit which as a built in DAC. If it could drive a power amp directly...
  9. maxhifi

Help needed with Grado identification

Here's four from my old cartridge drawer. 1. GF3 has a long body, apparantly takes a blue stylus as a replacement. This one sounded really good, but stylus is worn out. 2. Black? (Probably series 1? ) this one has paint on Grado logo. I bought it about 2002.. it never sounded any good...
  10. maxhifi

Garrard Zero 100 troubleshooting help

I've got a zero 100 here and am having a slight problem. Have already lubed it, resurfaced idler, freed the frozen stop mechanism. It works fine at 33rpm 12 inch, but at 10 inch and 7 inch, the arm doesn't move in far enough. The size mechanism is in the right place, and if I push the arm...
  11. maxhifi

CHEAP DIY INTERCONNECTS

I needed to connect my NAIM preamp to my Audio Research mono power amplifiers, so I had to make a DIN to RCA patch cord. Because of the low output impedance of the NAIM, I thought it would not require shielded cable (and I read NAIM cables are not shielded anyway), so I selected 24AWG speaker...
  12. maxhifi

Recommendation for doping paper surround?

I've got a paper surround Sansui woofer to repair. It was damaged at some point, and someone repaired it with a gratuitous amount of silicone caulking. I will strip the caulking, but wonder what is the best doping material to reapply to the surrounds? The original material is very sticky and...
  13. maxhifi

STANTON 500

The Stanton 500 sounds awesome, wish I had discovered this while they were in production!
  14. maxhifi

NAIM Stageline v.s. Rega Fono

As in the title, anyone ever do a direct comparison? Using with a Naim amp and a Rega turntable, so like the idea to use one brand or the other.
  15. maxhifi

What amps are you using for your Sansui speakers?

Thought I'd flip this one around for fun Main System: SP-X11000 1. ARC Classic 150 monoblocks for music (must use 4 ohm tap with tubes, the 8 ohm nominal rating is not true with this model). 2. ELMO CL-16 for watching 16mm movies (they excel at this, due to high sensitivity and the horn...
  16. maxhifi

1950s Transcription Tonearm... cartridges?

I've recently acquired a neat relic, a 14" Livingston Universal tonearm, from 1955. It has a hole in the cartridge mounting area, to enable the installation of a GE variable reluctance cartridge with a dual LP/78 stylus assembly but came with a late 1970s Astatic ceramic stereo cartridge...
  17. maxhifi

Attention techs - I found a neat tool at Home Depot

This may not be news to many people, but I just picked up one of these: 27-in-1 Multi-Bit Precision Screwdriver with Tamperproof Bits - 32327 | Klein Tools - For Professionals since 1857 And I can't believe how good it is - looks like I'll have a new best friend for getting inside electronics...
  18. maxhifi

Question for those in southern California

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding a portable radio here. Usually I bring one with me. This time I forgot it, and I'm here a while yet. Whenever I was here in the past, there was Radio Shack, and Fry's. I tried the usual discount stores like walmart, and target, and even best...
  19. maxhifi

Schematic for Heathkit AA-141A?

Just got one of these... it's pretty awesome, I'm excited to make it work. Does anyone happen to know where I can find a schematic? No luck with usual online sources.
  20. maxhifi

Blank Cassettes... options?

Thought I'd make some tapes for the car this summer. I still have a good stock of Maxell and Sony normal bias tapes, and a handful of various chrome and metal. But I like to restock when I use the old ones. Is anyone still making a decent normal bias cassette? Is it down to buying old stock...
  21. maxhifi

Asphalt damping material

Does anyone know what the specific properties are of the material used to damp the LS3/5A, Harbeth speakers, etc? I have a large roll of left over bituminous self adhesive foundation sealer, which weighs about 0.33 lbs/ square foot, and some plastic cabinet speakers I'd like to improve. Before...
  22. maxhifi

Crazy tube/amp failure

I just encountered something I've never seen before and feel like sharing it. Stereo power amplifier from the 1990s. An EHX EL34 developed a plate to filament short, in an amplifier which has a floating filament supply. This elevated the heater voltage to a very high level, then causing a...
  23. maxhifi

PSVANE EL34C - any good?

I see AES is stocking these now, I'm kind of considering a quad for my Maplin 4-20 monoblock project. Anyone use them before?
  24. maxhifi

Ortofon Concorde

Ok so having recently become a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 owner, I've been heavily researching this turntable. One thing which I've noticed is they look awesome with the Ortofon Concorde or even the Tonar Banana. Are the more expensive ones somehow hi-fi worthy, or is this a really bad idea for...
  25. maxhifi

Technics SL-1200 mk2 questions

One of these found me today. Supposedly beyond repair. Fuse and headshell missing, taken apart, with a baggie of screws. Filthy. Dead. FREE. So I did some troubleshooting and figured out that a 33uf 25V capacitor had shorted and taken out one of the regulator transistors. A new capacitor...
Back
Top Bottom