Search results

1. Chief Pariah

I'm a little stumped...

A friend gave me this Yamaha CR-240 that he got from his brother. His brother said it was a "slow starter". Very clean, inside and out. Brought it home, hooked up a pair of speakers, plugged it in and hit the power switch. Added some volume, and nothing. Nothing on tuner or aux. Took the case...
  2. Chief Pariah

Pioneer QX-8000 (non "A") tuner issue.

Recently acquired a very nice QX-8000 that someone had robbed a few parts from. Was just missing preamp bars and protection fuse caps and the power button cover...all easy stuff. I just, in turn, robbed inoperable units I had on the shelf. All the selectable inputs work and it sounds amazing...
  3. Chief Pariah

Captain M?

Can anyone identify this logo? Thanks in advance.
  4. Chief Pariah

Akai 1730D-SS ... X 2.

Hello tapeheads, I have 2 Akai 1730D-SS quad players from 2 different sources and lives. One was somewhat cared for and one was neglected. After playing with them a bit, they are exhibiting the exact same symptoms. When I got them each, they played well and did everything, with the exception...
  5. Chief Pariah

"Creative ???" Model 90s

While most people will go for well known high end names, I tend to gravitate towards obscurity. That being said, I'm helping a friend of mine refurbish a pair of mid-'70s Creative Model 90 3 ways. We're pretty certain they have the wrong woofers due to the manufacturer's date of 1980, and the...
  6. Chief Pariah

Pioneer question...

This is one for the experts, as it seems nobody has done it... I have a Pioneer PL-400 (quartz) that's like new and still has the box. It has a frozen motor. I also have a PL-5 (non-quartz) that is missing parts and is stuck in repeat, but has a good motor. Will the PL-5 motor swap into the...
  7. Chief Pariah

Pioneer CS-99A drivers.

I'm currently putting a pair of CS-99As back to original. The 3.5" and 4" mids had been swapped out with open units. As I'm sure everyone knows, the correct parts (12-708F and 10-708F) are hard to find and pricey. I ran across a 12-701F from a CS-88. Can anyone say definitely that this will...
  8. Chief Pariah

So...I got these today...

Pioneer CS-99As. And it seems, at least by the "sold" prices on eBay, that they're somewhat desirable. I just need to put them back to original. Both mids have been swapped out in both cabinets. Everything else it completely original. I did get 1 spare woofer, a spare grill and an extra cabinet...
  9. Chief Pariah

Interesting enough to not leave them...

A friend of mine was cleaning out a couple storage sheds of his and selling stuff off. These were just too cool to leave behind. Built by a guy named William Benny in 1967. Very solid cabinets. The Radio Shack "Americana" drivers sucked me in. Everything seems to be working but I'm still going...
  10. Chief Pariah

ELAC 830 question...

There's so little info on ELAC as it is, and less on the 830. The only belt spec I could find was an FMB6.1. This belt is incorrect. The belt is so short and stiff that it binds the entire idler/belt/platter and doesn't contact the motor shaft. It WILL run on idler only, but the speed oscillates...
  11. Chief Pariah

AMPEX Music Center 985A

I guess this is the only place this fits. Lucky enough to get this today. 1968 AMPEX Music Center model 985A. After a bit of cleaning and adjusting, it seems to be doing everything it's supposed to. Tunes well and locks on to stereo stations. Plays tape through both channels. Haven't tried the...
  12. Chief Pariah

BIC 80Z Turntable

Before I start, let's pretend that I'm not an electronics genius with a bench full of equipment. I was recently gifted a BIC 80Z. First BIC I've seen in person. Very clean unit with a nice dust cover. Plugged it in and the display lit but nothing ran. Researched a bit and saw that there are...
  13. Chief Pariah

Decent score...

Snagged these at an apartment clean out sale along with a working Pioneer SX-680, a newer Kenwood receiver, a JVC dual cassette and a few other miscellaneous things. 2 Technics (SL-B5 & SL-B20) and a Scott 77XV. All 3 have cartridges and styluses and good dust covers. The B5 needs a belt...
  14. Chief Pariah

Estate sale find...

Scored this at an estate sale this morning along with an immaculate pair of The Fisher XP-55Bs and a junk no name pair of bookshelf units. Sansui QRX-3500. All working perfectly. Beautiful machine.
  15. Chief Pariah

Magnified 1000 X

Not sure if anyone has seen this before. Pretty amazing.
  16. Chief Pariah

Stanton 881S

Just aquired a Technics SL-1700 (MK1) with a Stanton 881S cartridge and what appears to be the correct stylus. Stylus looks good under magnification, but I'm not an expert. On my Kenwood KC/KM-993 combo with a Yamaha EQ-70, the volume is very low. Does the Stanton require a preamp? Or is it just...
  17. Chief Pariah

MCS 3207

Just aquired a 3207 in relatively very good condition. It took a healthy Deoxit treatment to make it happy about waking up but it's playing well. I've search the internet and all the threads on here. I already know that the wattage is 7 wpc, most likely at 8 ohms. What I need to find is the...
  18. Chief Pariah

HDMI port tester?

Hoping this is an easy question. I have a SMALL store that deals with used audio equipment. I can normally test everything pretty thoroughly...except HDMI ports. I don't have space or money to keep a television and video source to do it. Is there any type of simple plug in tester that will...
  19. Chief Pariah

Sort of a mystery...

Considering snagging this unit just for the history aspect. The 8-track door is labeled "Foley's" which was a prominent chain department store here in Texas. Foley's eventually became May's, then Macy's. The mystery part is who would have manufactured this for them. It is, with the exception of...
  20. Chief Pariah

Dahlquist DQ-8.

Recently happened upon a pair of (unknown to the seller) DQ-8s at a yard sale on my local FB Marketplace. Left the store early because I didn't want to miss them for what the seller would only refer to as "cheap". Drove up and there they sat. Put my hand on them and asked the lady "how much"...
  21. Chief Pariah

Unfamiliar territory. Suggestions?

I was just sent pictures of what appears to be a vintage ('65-'67) original pair of JBL LX-5 cabinet speakers. After researching them, I would really like to verify their authenticity. What clues do I look for? Thanks in advance.
  22. Chief Pariah

Finally...a pair I could afford!

Finally scored a pair of all original Sansui SP-X8000s. Not perfect condition but perfect working order. I'm enjoying them in my shop for a bit while deciding whether to move then inside to keep or to the store to sell. Also scored in the package, a pair of S-57s that have had the woofers...
  23. Chief Pariah

DUAL 1219 & 1229 plinths.

Had a friend give me a couple DUALs last year. 1 is pretty much complete but the other has a pretty much useless plinth. Here's the question... Has anyone here ever attempted to build a plinth from granite, marble or "cultured" (i.e. faux marble countertop) marble? I have a guy around the...
  24. Chief Pariah

Linear tonearm belts...

Working on a Fisher MT-730 linear. Both the tonearm belts have turned to that God-awful tar that belts turn into. Took a good hour to get that gummy crap cleaned out. Can anyone offer insight as to whether or not the "up/down" belt and the "left/right" belts are the same? They use the same...
  25. Chief Pariah

Found these old girls...

Found these while out hunting stock for my antique booth. Both '40s-50s, I believe. Turned them on and I just get a hum/buzz. Hopefully I can get them singing again. The top one is a GE "MUSAPHONIC". The bottom is a Magnavox.
Back
Top Bottom