Search results

1. F

Would this be a good system?

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out.
  2. F

Math Help Please

Yeah I have slight constant tinnitus and some hearing loss in one ear. Too many punk rock concerts when I was a teen. I regret it now. I take better care of my hearing these days. Working landscaping and construction jobs at times, I am all too familiar with ringing ears. Almost nobody in...
  3. F

Math Help Please

Fair enough. I'm new to this forum and have not come across any posts about bias yet, but have seen posts with bias against high quality mp3s so it seemed relevant to me. Sorry to bore you. Hopefully someone else found it interesting. Peace and happy listening!
  4. F

Math Help Please

Being able to hear them outside is just a small factor. I really am excited about them based on their supposed sound quality. They are not in production for a couple of months so I can't order them now anyway. The original math problem I posted was largely so I could learn more about what...
  5. F

Math Help Please

Will do! The Zu Dirty Weekends don't go back into production for a couple of months so it will be a little while.
  6. F

Have you heard the zu DWs? What would you consider to be on par with them? I live in a town of 3000 so there is rarely anything used locally. I can keep my eyes open on Craigslist in Boise but that's over four hours (and gas costs) round trip to go look at. Been burned enough times buying used...
  7. F

Math Help Please

*Sigh* Yes, okay, thanks. Alright, thanks.
  8. F

Good approach but I live over two hours drive from Boise and I have a one year old daughter so it's hard to find time to peruse stores. At least Zu Audio has a return period of 60 days with return shipping paid. That makes me think they must really believe in their products.
  9. F

Thanks, same to you.
  10. F

Math Help Please

I totally get that, it's just that I would have to own the equipment in order to try it out. I am trying to get an idea of whether or not this equipment would work well for my situation before I buy. The equipment I am considering costs a lot for my budget so I want to choose wisely. To bring...
  11. F

Your response betrays that you did not read the thread I linked to, but yes, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and most of them stink. That's why I trust a test run and discussed by several members more than your sole opinion. No offense.
  12. F

Thanks for your input!
  13. F

After reading this thread, I'm doubting that you are correct: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/participate-in-ak-cd-vs-mp3-abx-test-online.640307/#post-8506214 Looks like I might have to purge lower bit rate mp3s but 256kbps+ would be acceptable. Certainly 320 would be fine. My...
  14. F

Okay, dang. I've never had speakers where it was a problem as long as the bit rate was above 128. It would be a major project to replace it all with lossless. And I'd need more space on my NAS. I'll have to think on this one... Thanks for the input.
  15. F

Math Help Please

Thanks for the explanation! My stereo is along a short diagonal wall in a small living room, with the entryway open to the kitchen on one side and short hallways to bedrooms on the other side and across the room. So yeah, the acoustics of the room are probably not ideal and I don't have room to...
  16. F

Math Help Please

Wow, thanks for the in depth explanation! I guess I am still not sure where that leaves me since the 12 ohm speakers will cut the amp power to 74 watts or so. But with the high efficiency, it seems like that should be fine, even cranked up to listen while I'm gardening. Don't want to piss off...
  17. F

Math Help Please

So 110 watts drops to about 74 watts. Thanks, thats good to know.
  18. F

Math Help Please

I also think you guys sometimes assume speakers will get plenty loud because you are assuming I will be sitting in front of the speakers while listening. Sometimes I just open the back door and crank the stereo when I'm in the back yard. The 6' hypothetical I hoped was going to be far louder...
  19. F

Math Help Please

Okay I understand that it will be enough power with sensitive speakers to get loud. I completely forgot to list speaker efficiency: 97 dB-SPL 1W, 1m. I guess my main question is how much volume I will lose with 12 ohm speakers as opposed to the 8 ohm load the receiver specs are listed at. Is...
  20. F

Math Help Please

I am thinking about getting some Zu Omen DW speakers and an outlaw rr2160 receiver. I am curious how loud this setup would cleanly go. The DWs are 12 ohm impedance. RR2160 provides 110 watts per channel continuous, driven into 8 ohms. How many decibels can I safely drive both channels...
  21. F

Anybody who has heard the Zu Omen DWs have an opinion on whether the rr2160 would be a viable match? Should I just get a $250 onkyo tx-8140 receiver if I'm going to be playing mostly mp3s?
  22. F

Ah yes. Finding them used would be great. Thanks for the tip.
  23. F

I was planning on using the DC Servo turntable for now until I fix the BSR or build up some more spending money. I'd say vinyl only makes up about 5% of my listening so it's not top priority, although I do want to keep it a part of my system.
  24. F

Okay I'm pretty green when it comes to hifi audio but I am hoping to upgrade my main home stereo used exclusively for music. I don't have a special listening room - stereo is against an angled wall in the living room which is open to the kitchen. I will rarely be listening directly in front of...
  25. F

Well hello there

Hi AK! 34 year old living in McCall Idaho. I am not an audiophile but I love listening to music and I'm looking to upgrade my home system. I have some hearing loss in one ear and some low grade constant tinnitus so I'm not sure I could even fully appreciate a system that costs $30000, but I...
Back
Top Bottom