Search results

1. JumboMumbo

Do You Run a Laserdisc Player in Your Rig? What Music-Related Discs Do You Play?

I hate to be "that guy", but isn't laser disc analog?:biggrin:
  2. JumboMumbo

Holy Rip VanWinkle Batman! CDP $$$

Go to Goodwills and other thrift shops, you'll find a good one soon enough. I have several nice CDPs from Goodwill, usually around $10.
  3. JumboMumbo

Best Guitar Solos

Or how about the rippin' two note and a bend solo on We Are 138 by The Misfits, lol.
  4. JumboMumbo

Best Guitar Solos

A few that come to mind: No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley and the Wailers (the famous live version that's on Legend) Walk - Pantera Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
  5. JumboMumbo

Bonus Tracks Added to the End of Albums: A Rant

That would be really nice! To see them on a separate disc.
  6. JumboMumbo

Vintage CD Players and their old outdated DACs

I don't remember exactly, but the original msrp was $699, so it must have been at least decent, especially for $75.
  7. JumboMumbo

Vintage CD Players and their old outdated DACs

I have to second that on the early 90's ES players, or at least some of the lower tier ES players. I have a C85ES 5-Disc from 1991. It doesn't sound bad, but is pretty underwhelming compared to when I run it through my Topping D30 via optical, or even compared to my lower end Denon DCD-1300...
  8. JumboMumbo

Bonus Tracks Added to the End of Albums: A Rant

Is anyone else consistently annoyed by bonus tracks added to the end of albums when it's reissued as a remaster, deluxe, etc? It sort of ruins the album as a whole. On a lot of albums the last track is sort of a finale or closing point where the album comes to a definitive end, fades out, etc...
  9. JumboMumbo

Found a Kyocera gem

Beautiful unit, congratulations! Nothing like having a unit that looks as good as it sounds!
  10. JumboMumbo

What CD are you listening to? What CD Player?

Yeah, I like mine a lot too. I run it through an external DAC, but really it sounds great just on it's own. Built like a tank indeed.
  11. JumboMumbo

Luxman DC-114 DAC?

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/ 114 is not on the list, but they have a lot of Luxman models on it. Maybe you can gleam some information.
  12. JumboMumbo

Why aren’t all digital disc players have SACD capability ?

Ding ding ding! Remember, the world revolves around money. The technical hurdles would be easy enough for them to jump through. Sony owns the licensing rights for SACD.
  13. JumboMumbo

Dual Dacs, any major advantage?

So I've recently become enamored with the old magnavox CDPs other older 80s CDPs and their TDA1541 DACs. Which is odd, since I haven't heard one. But I'm on the hunt to find one and check it out seeing as there's a lot of hype on the net about this vintage DAC. I've noticed some models...
  14. JumboMumbo

What CD are you listening to? What CD Player?

What I have loaded right now. Kinda all over the place... Listening to Jerry when I took the picture, Swoon right now.
  15. JumboMumbo

Endorsement for vintage VS. new high end

So, this thread is something like 15 years old. Do the same ideas still apply? Does modern gear still stink dollar for dollar compared to vintage gear, or has the modern audio market gotten it's act together? I'm running a 30 year old Sony receiver (gx90es), I worry about it not holding up...
  16. JumboMumbo

What did you last BLINDLY get that you like??

I love blind buying from thrifts, at $1-3 per cd it's fun to just get whatever looks interesting. I'll have to look through my cd's when I get home to jog my memory and snap some pics of my favorite blind buys. One recent one that comes to mind is this: Australian alt-rock from the early...
  17. JumboMumbo

Servicing Onkyo C-707CHX

So, I actually spend several hours this past weekend trying to fix one of these things. The belts had broken on mine. Not knowing how to open the drawer manually (turning the bottom left belt wheel counter clockwise), I ended up tearing into the thing removing the trays. This was a mistake...
  18. JumboMumbo

My Denon DCD-1520 vs. all CD players on the planet earth

I got a Denon DCD-1300 from GW last week from 1986. Even though it was on the lower end of the hierarchy it's still a very nice, solidly built player. SQ is on par with my Sony C85ES (1991). The extended top range was what I noticed most about the Denon, slightly more bass too. I do like the...
  19. JumboMumbo

Todays METAL playlist

This is one of my favorite metal albums of all time, not very well known either.
  20. JumboMumbo

BEST Female vocalists of all times

Unless I missed it, how has nobody mentioned Natalie Merchant?!?! She's one of my all time favorites.
  21. JumboMumbo

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I hate that: finding a CD you really want only to discover the case is empty. I really wish GW would check cases and not put out the empty ones. I really don't think anyone is stealing them.
  22. JumboMumbo

A Few Questions About SACD

Amazing that even analog RCA outputs are going out the door. LOL, thought they seemed so timeless.... So without a HDMI compatible receiver the SACD feature is useless since SACD can't send the DSD data out over an unencrypted cord. I wonder if Sony will ever get away from this and allow the...
  23. JumboMumbo

A Few Questions About SACD

I've been recently dipping my toe into SACD (yeah, a little late, I know), but I've got a few questions about the format that maybe some of you more learned people out there can answer. 1) Are the DSD stereo and 5.1 mixes the same master? Put another way, is the Stereo SACD section the same as...
  24. JumboMumbo

Static Electricity Damage?

So, is it a good idea to connect the ground terminal on the back of the amp to some kind of ground source? I've never delivered a whopper shock to my amp, but sometimes I touch it and deliver a small shock and actually hear it as a small tick on the speakers. I was under the impression that...
  25. JumboMumbo

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

^^ Nice, that looks MINT!
Back
Top Bottom