Search results

1. legalalien

Low powered SET amp and speakers to match

I've been absent from this site for a while and I'm toying with the idea of putting together a second system upstairs in my "Man Loft". I'd be primarily using it for late night Jazz sessions at low to mid listening levels as the wifey usually goes to bed at 11 whereas I'm a night owl. Anyway...
  2. legalalien

NS690 tweeter issue

I posted this in the Speaker section but no one responded so I thought I'd try here... I have a tweeter the plays intermittently. I've pulled the tweeter and the tweeter level control and checked the connections which were fine on both. When I put them back in it worked again but after I picked...
  3. legalalien

Yamaha NS690 MkI tweeter issue

I recently acquired a set of ADS 570/2's to replace my "too big for a small bedroom" 690's as the 690's are just too overpowering for an 11' by 13' room. I had set up both pairs for some final listening when I noticed something amiss from the left 690. Well after diagnosis the tweeter had no...
  4. legalalien

Yamaha CR1020 with Audiocubics Remote Control

I've been toying with the idea of moving my museum grade 1020 into the main family room as it's just too pretty to leave in the bedroom system. However I'd have to have remote volume control in there and I've read some good things about the Audiocubics Remote unit. The only real negative I've...
  5. legalalien

Raising a scratch on wood veneer?

It seems I've read on here somewhere about raising a scratch on wood veneer speakers using an iron and a wet towel? Does anyone have the 411 on such a procedure? I have an otherwise pristine set of ADS 570/2's that I really don't want to refinish if I can simply make the scratch look a little...
  6. legalalien

ADS 570/2's...wow

40+ years in this hobby and I've never owned any ADS's, that is until this past weekend. A minty pair of 570/2's showed up on CL so for $120 I figure what the hay. I've been running an audio only setup in one of our vacated kid's bedrooms currently consisting of a Yamaha CR1020 pushing a pair...
  7. legalalien

Finally tried some single driver speakers...

Well about a month ago I pulled the trigger on some single driver speakers, a perfect pair of like new new Acoustic Technologies "The Classic" single driver speakers. They are a relatively new company but have received several enthusiastic reviews so I said what the hell, and they are gorgeous...
  8. legalalien

Bookshelf speakers that sound good in a...

I may be in a situation after my upcoming move where space could be limited and I have to use bookshelf speakers in an ACTUAL bookshelf. My own research has me leaning towards sealed designs or front ported speakers. So far I'm considering used NHT Super One's or used KEF 101/3's. I've also got...
  9. legalalien

Which Yamaha?

OK you Yammy experts I have a pretty basic question... I've loooong lusted for a Yamaha CR1020 which I condider to be the most beautiful piece of audio equipment ever produced. Recently I've thinned and rearranged my equipment so that I can have an all vintage Yamaha system in my man-loft...
  10. legalalien

I admit it looks are everything...

I have finally caved in to the fact that the look of certain equipment has become the overriding factor for my recent and future audio acquisitions. I recently parted ways with a museum grade Marantz 2275 that sounded exquisite with my NLA's. NOT because I disliked its looks, it's plenty pretty...
  11. legalalien

NS 690's in da house...nice

Well, a 350 mile roundtrip to Grand Rapids Mi. and these babies are mine! I've been wanting these (or NS1000's) for some time now and after listening to the NS1000's a couple of months ago and coming away somewhat unimpressed (especially for a grand) I decided to try and find some 690's. I...
  12. legalalien

Yamaha NS 690's, question...

Anyone have any thoughts on which series of these has the best reputation between the originals or the I, II or III's? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
  13. legalalien

NS 690 speakers, which series?

I've been wanting to grab a set of these and was wondering if anyone had a preference on which series has the best rep between the originals or I, II or III's?
  14. legalalien

Five bucket list speakers...

Having owned many dozens of sets of speakers (which I suspect many here can lay claim to) there are still a lot of brands and models I've never owned. So, here are five that I will try my damnedest to someday own... 1) In 40 years of this great hobby I still can't believe I've never owned...
  15. legalalien

Yamaha NS1000 audition...disappointing...

Finally had a chance to audition some absolutely pristine NS 1000's which have been on my audio bucket list since they first appeared in the mid 70's. They were even on the original stands that have the Yamaha logo on them and each speaker still had the inspection tag on the back attached! I...
  16. legalalien

Marantz service metro Detroit

Was wondering if anyone here new of a trustworthy place or person to service my beloved 2275. I'm thinking all it needs is recapping and general check up so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks...
  17. legalalien

Adding remote volume to a 2275

As much as love my 2275 it is still a pain to have to get up and adjust the volume on it. That being said I was wondering if it was possible to add a powered unit such as an Alps to a 2275 without having to perform major surgery? This would give me the best of both worlds, anyone?
  18. legalalien

Tekton Speakers...anyone?

I've seen some very good (but limited) things written about these and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. Preferably the M Lore or Model Lore units, thanks!
  19. legalalien

Zu speakers...anyone?

I've been somewhat interested in this brand for a while but their prices were out of my reach, however they have a new model "the Omen" that lists for $1500 and I believe is on sale for $999. I have read a lot of positve things on Zu's but there does seem to be a love/hate thing going on with...
  20. legalalien

Sound Dynamics RTS 9 speakers, thoughts...

Going to be picking these up soon anyone have any opinions on these?
  21. legalalien

Polk Audio 7c...Anyone?

I have a chance to pick up a mint pair of 7c's at a pretty good price, now I know these don't have the peerless tweeters from the original 7's (which I owned) but was wondering if these were still worth picking up. Also wondering if it would be worth finding some original peerless tweets and...
  22. legalalien

Green Mountain speakers, anyone...

Been reading some pretty good things about these speakers, anyone have any familiarity with them? The new Rio model in particular is interesting to me, but I rarely see any of their models for sale used.
  23. legalalien

Advent project...

Wasn't sure which thread to post this on so I figured I'd just start a new one. As a NLA owner I've read many but not nearly all of the posts regarding the waveguide mod and being hesitant to carve up my beauties I'm considering making a set from scratch (cabinet and all). I have a couple of...
  24. legalalien

What's the one piece of gear...

What's that one piece of of audio gear you've always lusted after but for whatever reason just never got around to acquiring? For me it's the Yamaha CR2020 receiver, I remember the first time I saw one back in the late 70's and thinking that it was the most elegant and classy looking receiver...
  25. legalalien

B&K Receivers, anyone...

I'm considering a B&K 307 receiver for my recently acquired NHT 2.5i's, anyone know if they're as good as the reviews on them seem to be. I can't seem to find anything negative written about them, anyone with some firsthand experience with these?
Back
Top Bottom